Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Royal Canin GI moderate calorie, any experience of feeding this?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Angela_, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Angela_

Angela_ PetForums Junior

Hi,

Been advised to feed our 18yr old cat Thomas Royal Canin GI moderate calorie for a couple of weeks, after he was diagnosed with triaditis and seemed to be suffering from tummy ache.

Just wondered if anyone has fed their cat on this? And if so did it help? So far Thomas doesn’t seem overly impressed, but may just be because it’s new.

Thanks for reading x

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi Angela, do you mean the pouches of RC GI Moderate calorie? (there is a dry version of it)

https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats...canin_vet_diet_wet_cat/veterinary_diet/516321

I wouldn't want to feed the dry version as it's high in carbs, and not to a senior cat who is unwell. But even the wet version contains quite a high level of carbs. But at least it is low in fats, which can be important when a cat is recovering from pancreatitis (assuming the pancreas is the major organ causing the triaditis).

"Meat and animal derivatives, cereals, vegetable protein extracts, vegetable derivatives, eggs and egg derivatives, minerals, oils and fat, sugar, yeast. "

However as it is a temporary diet while he recovers from his illness, it would be OK - if he will eat it. It is important for him to stay nourished, so if he won't eat it I would try him with a food low in carbs and fats e.g. perhaps the Animonda Vom Feinsten trays for neutered cats (which I feed 2 of my cats who have IBD). The plain turkey recipe would be best in the circumstances. My cats love it btw. :)

https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches/animonda/trays/14008

3. Angela_

Angela_ PetForums Junior

Hi @chillminx,

Thank you so much for your response. I feel so stressed with my poorly boy and at times it feels overwhelming.

I got the wet food pouches, he’s not having dry food (he has very little dry food usually, following a bout of recurrent urinary tract infections 5 years ago).

Can I feed him boiled chicken/fish alongside the pouches?

I do like the look of the Animonda and will definitely bear this in mind. I feel like I’m at the vets or on the phone to them all the time, and think they must be getting sick of me!

It’s reasuuring to be able to ask questions here, so thank you

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I really sympathise Angela, I too find it immensely stressful when one of my cats is ill, particularly if the illness doesn't respond quickly to treatment.

If one of my cats is ill I've found the main thing is to try and take each day as it comes, not to let oneself look too far ahead, as it can seem daunting if you do that. If there is even a tiny bit of improvement in your dear boy's condition I would see that as immensely positive and you can use that to give you strength to face whatever the following day may bring.

Please try and stay as calm as you can. I know it isn't easy, but your cat will sense if you are stressed and upset, and it will make him anxious. If you need to cry to let out your feelings do so in a room away from your cat with the door closed. (my cats get very worried if I cry).

I am glad he is having wet food not dry. It is important for him to keep eating so as to avoid the risk of Liver Lipidosis. Giving him home cooked meat (as well as his cat food) is fine as long as it is not more than 20% of his diet (i.e. if fed for more than a few weeks it would need a supplement with it ).

You don't need to stick to just home-cooked chicken and white fish unless he has diarrhoea or vomiting. He may be OK with some roasted turkey drumstick or casseroled beef. (beef broth is very nutritious).

Apparently the fat level of the food is less significant in cats with pancreatitis than it is for dogs or humans with the same illness. However I have found with my 2 cats who have IBD they are definitely better on a slightly lower fat diet (e.g. such as the Animonda Vom Feinsten turkey) and as intestinal inflammation is a feature of triaditis, your boy may also be better on a lowish fat diet at present.

Please do post whenever you have any questions to see if we can help. Or if you just feel in need of moral support, we are always here to chat with you. :)

#4 chillminx, Nov 14, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    Gallifreyangirl and Puddy2shoes like this.
  5. Angela_

Angela_ PetForums Junior

Thank you for your lovely reply. I think Thomas is coping with his illness better than I am, I’m going to go to the pharmacy today and get some Kalms (for me, not Thomas)!

Although Thomas is pooing (every 24hrs) his poo looks quite small and hard, Will this resolve itself or should I be concerned?

A new yeowww toy yesterday really cheered him up, we were surprised at how sprightly he looked playing with it.

I definitely struggle with looking too far ahead, so will take your advice of one day at a time. I also don’t sleep very well, and think this has an effect on my stress levels.

Thank you for being so understanding x

chillminx likes this.
  6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Angela_ - I am like you, I don't always sleep well at night, but since I retired I have acquired the habit of napping when I am at home in the afternoon. Just half an hour can make all the difference I find. (I usually 'drop off' while reading the newspaper or a book! ;))

Those Yeowww toys are brilliant aren't they?! I am glad Thomas is enjoying his new one!

Pooing every 24 hrs is good; his poo is hard and small because of the diet he is on. As long as he isn't straining to pass stools he should be OK. The food is taking longer to go through the intestines, which is giving his bowel a rest. But if he is showing any sign of feeling uncomfortable, or has a very full abdomen, you could add a teaspoon of mashed potato, or mashed butternut squash once daily to one of his meals, as that would give him some extra fibre.

Please let us know how things go. :)

p.s. good idea about the Kalms! I would do the same. :)

7. Angela_

Angela_ PetForums Junior

Thanks @chillminx,

We are at vets this afternoon, I’m not sure if Thomas will be having XRays and scans today or not.

I slept better last night after the kalms!

I will keep you updated :)

chillminx likes this.
  8. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I'm glad the Kalms helped :)

I hope all goes well at the vets.

9. Angela_

Angela_ PetForums Junior

Hi @chillminx,

Thomas had 2 injections today, Depo Medrone V and Convenia, which I believe are antibiotics and steroid.

We are to keep him on his current diet and he is having a higher dose of Famotidine (40mg, which seems quite high to me) every 2-3 days.

Vet didn’t seem to think scans would be beneficial. And he said if Thomas doesn’t improve he can have a stronger steroid in pill form. He did mention a build up of lymphocytes in his intestines, but it’s such a lot of information to take in, in such a short space of time, I’m not sure what he meant.

Thomas isn’t interested in eating since we got back, and I’m hoping this is just a result of the injections. Although he has lost .3kg in the last month.

Vet had a good feel of Thomas’s tummy, and said he isn’t constipated, it is just what you said.

I’m hoping we will see some improvement in the next few days, but dare’nt get my hopes up. X

10. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi @Angela_ thank you for the update. I am glad Thomas doesn't have constipation.

It could be the Convenia has adversely affected his appetite :

"After receiving Convenia, cats and dogs may develop upset stomach, including nausea or vomiting. During clinical trials for this medication, vomiting was observed in approximately 8 percent of cats, reports Drugs.com. Upset stomach side may contribute to a temporary decrease in appetite.These side effects typically subside within a few days of treatment."

However Thomas will need to eat, or at least drink. Would he have some chicken broth if you made some? Or can you tempt him with cat foods he doesn't usually eat e.g. Felix AGAIL, or Gourmet just to get him eating again?

40 mg of Famotidine is a lot for a cat, as you say - it's the daily dose prescribed for adult humans. I hope the vet means 20 mg twice daily, and not 40 mg once a day?

A cat’s blood contains a mixture of different types white blood cells, i.e. neutrophils, eosinophils, basophils, lymphocytes, and monocytes. Lymphocytes are produced in the cat's lymph nodes and spleen. Did the vet say any of the other white cells were increased (in addition to the lymphocytes)?

1/Bacterial or fungal infections can cause neutrophil levels to increase
    2/ Stress can cause neutrophil levels to increase
    3/ Allergic reactions can cause eosinophil levels to increase.
    4/ Autoimmune diseases with episodes of inflammation can cause lymphocyte levels to increase.
    5/ Various types of cancer or viruses can cause lymphocyte and monocyte levels to increase.
    6/ Medications, such as corticosteroids can cause white blood cell levels to increase.

11. Angela_

Angela_ PetForums Junior

Hi @chillminx,

I offered Thomas some of his Gourmet and he ate it as though he was very hungry.

Vet definitely said 40mg every 3 days, he said it would be easier than giving it every day.

He said about Lymphocytes something about them collecting together and possibly immune system. -I wish I had recorded the conversation on my phone so I could listen back to it later.
    He didn’t mention any of the other cells you have described.

He mentioned only being able to diagnose something by taking away a portion of the intestine, I’m not sure if he said Lymphoma. He did say obviously we can’t do that diagnosis.

Thomas has been getting very stressed and angry when at the vets, he bit a nurse very badly and she had to have hospital treatment. He never used to be like this, and certainly isn’t like this at home. But when we are there I’m spending my time concentrating on trying to restrain him. When he needs a blood test he is sedated.

We had a horrible night with him last night, he howled and shouted although he did let us comfort him, an hour later he would be doing it again. I’m very tired today! Thanks for reading and responding to my posts, I very much appreciate it x

12. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I am glad to hear Thomas has eaten some Gourmet. The fact he is feeling very hungry is a good sign. :)

Re: the Famotidine, I understood the vet said give it every 3 days, what I meant was 20 mg twice daily every 3 days, not 40 mg in one dose. Or do you mean the tablets are a 40 mg size? If so then it will have to be given in one dose as you say.

He'd need a biopsy of the intestine to make a confirmed diagnosis of Lymphoma and it'd be done under general anaesthetic. At his age a GA would be more risky, which may be why the vet doesn't want to do it.

I am sorry poor Thomas was so distressed last night, bless him. It must have been very upsetting for you. I am concerned he may be in pain. Or he could be frightened by how he feels. Do you have pain relief for him from the vet?

It wouldn't do any harm to give him a calming supplement such as Zylkene in his food, or Beaphar Calming spot-on on the back of his head, but as he is on medication it is best to check your vet agrees.

Thinking of you, and sending calming vibes to Thomas. x

13. Angela_

Angela_ PetForums Junior

Hi @chillminx,

Thank you for your response and kind words :)

I misunderstood about the Famotidine, the vet didn’t have any of the stronger dose so had to order it in (we are picking it up tomorrow), so I don’t yet know the strength of the individual tablets.

Thomas had a much better day yesterday (from about 3pm) and he slept in our bed all night. I’m wondering if the injections he had made him feel unwell on Friday and Friday night.

He is completely refusing to eat the Royal Canin (which is a shame as I bought 6 boxes)! But he is eating chicken/fish. Any ideas how to persuade him to eat the packet food?

I’m going to go and buy more chicken and fish today, and will also buy some turkey. Can he have rabbit? I wasn’t sure if this was a white meat, but might add a bit more variety and keep him interested.

As always thank you so much for your replies, and apologies for bombarding you with questions! X

14. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

You're welcome Angela, (and no apologies are needed) :)

I would leave the RC food for now. The important thing is he is eating. He can have roast turkey drumstick (lots of good taurine in that). Rabbit is low in fat but it seems quite a rich meat - my 2 boys with IBD love it but I can only give them a flat tablespoonful, or they vomit. So I would be a bit cautious with Thomas and rabbit.

If you can get him to eat some cat food as well as the cooked meat it will be good, as then he's getting vitamins, minerals and fibre. Will he eat the Gourmet?

I find the Animonda Vom Feinsten pure turkey is nice and easy on the digestion. I could send you a packet to try for him if you like? (just pm me your address if so) :)

15. Angela_

Angela_ PetForums Junior

42114147-45D6-4B4E-AE97-CEF8F5D579BD.jpeg
    Thomas seems a bit more relaxed!

That is so kind of you @chillminx thank you, but I am going to order some off zooplus along with some hills i/d.

I gave him some of the GI food earlier (before I read your post), and I added a teaspoon of Gourmet to it, this seemed enough to encourage him and he ate it all!

I will keep you posted on his progress. X

chillminx likes this.
  16. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Aww, a lovely photo of the dear boy :) x .

I am very pleased things are looking better and think we can let ourselves be cautiously optimistic about his progress.

If he will eat the RC food with a little Gourmet added, that's fine. :)

Glad you have ordered some of the A.Vom Feinsten for neutered cats for him to try - I hope he likes it. x

17. Minuscule

Minuscule PetForums Senior

Aww what a cute kitty!
    I hope Thomas gets better, I just wanted to send my best wishes for both Thomas and you as it is really difficult to deal with their illnesses when they are unwell.

18. Angela_

Angela_ PetForums Junior

I’m half holding my breath! But we are making the most of the good days.

He ate the GI food this morning without any added gourmet, maybe he’s still getting used to it.

Thanks for all your support x

chillminx likes this.
  19. Angela_

Angela_ PetForums Junior

Thank you for your kind words @Minuscule.

I found Thomas when I was 18 years old (he was tiny), and now he’s 18! We call him Little Bear (although he is 5.9kg and anything but little), because he is like a cuddly teddy bear. X

chillminx likes this.
  20. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

That's good news Angela. x Please continue to keep us updated. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice