Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Royal Canin and Eukanuba Puppy Food - any views

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Cuddypuppy, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Cuddypuppy

Cuddypuppy PetForums Member

I have two very generous samples of both of Eukanuba and Royal Canin dried puppy foods. Any views (good or bad) on either of these foods before I think of introducing these to my puppy? All opinions gratefully received as always. :)

2. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Both are really good dog foods. I would give them a go.

3. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

Eukanuba are owned by P&G so a lot of people i know wont use it. especially after the videos shown at what P&G did at Iams.

4. bird

bird PetForums VIP

Cant help my boy didnt like either of them :D

5. *WillsTillsBills*

*WillsTillsBills* PetForums Senior

We used to feed our dogs, eukanuba, but they started to get a skin problem. So we switched to JWB, but we got told they would be fine on Eukanuba until they were 6/7months... and they are older than that now. Hope this helps. :)

6. Oblada

Oblada Guest

It depends what the food you have in your hand actually contains - have a look on Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble - both companies have usually pretty bad reviews from them and they explain why.
    Personally I would prefer to stay clear.

7. *WillsTillsBills*

*WillsTillsBills* PetForums Senior

Just tried to go on the website, it doesn't work for me :(

8. Oblada

Oblada Guest

well the adress is www. dogfoodanalysis . com (put blanks on purpose else it goes in the "text" version automatically).
    They are not perfect but as they explain quite a lot their ratings I find it useful to make my own mind up based on other info (books etc) i have on dog nutrition...obviously its not an exact science ;)

Also was thinking
    for the OP - you should really be sticking to the food the breeder was using at least for the first few weeks/couple of months and then gradually introduce the new food and preferably stick to 1 brand for at least a few months before switching again (if you want!)...not sure what you were planning to do but just thought it may be worth saying that ;)

xx

9. Rachh

Rachh PetForums Senior

Both are top end dog foods, I've seen how eukanuba is made, shipped, packed etc.
    Ive not had a training evening off royal canin yet but by the amount of people who buy them both i would say they must be good as most people tend to stick to the 'breederpack' and 'bakers' *shudder* :)

10. pommum

pommum PetForums Senior

I have used RC now with my dogs for a good 5+ yrs and never had a problem with it, their coats are in great condition as are their joints and teeth. MY oldies are on the mature which when I put my oldest oneon to it gave her a new lease of life she loves the stuff, my pups/youngsters were on Junior which is their puppy kibble for up to 10 months being mini, and they were great on it my adults are all on mini adult and if you look at my photo's in the "Before and After" thred in the photo gallery forum you can see thta my dogs o well on it, and also Arwin in the breeding section. My pups are now born and bred on RC as they are weaned on to the Starter too.

My dog used to get bored with their old kibble but they have yet to do that with RC they seem to find it very content on it.

take care
    Sarah

11. grangepetcentre

grangepetcentre PetForums Junior

I have always fed my own dogs on Eukanuba over the years. When we got our Black lab puppy 2 years ago, he started to lose interest in his food. We introduced Royal Canin which he took to straight away. His skin and coat are in perfect condition. Judging by the sales in our retail outlet Royal Canin is preferred over Eukanuba, I would like to add that both are very good foods.

Grange Pet Centre

12. Cuddypuppy

She came to us on Pedigree Chum puppy mixed with a little bit of Royal Canin. I am slowly making the change from Chum to NatureDiet (puppy) and continuing with the Royal Canin mixed in at present. I just have such a big sample bucket of Eukanuba that I hoped to use it in the future.

13. Oblada

Oblada Guest

If your pup is fine with RC/ND then stick to it for the moment, no rush to try anything else!;)

Like I said I would not feed either Eukanuba or RC to my boy but its only my point of view, based on what I have read on dog nutrition (incl the website I mention). You should probably make up your own mind according to ingredients contents compared to nutrition advice etc as everyone will have some personal experience with every brand and its not nec very relevant - I am sure a lot of dog do well on Wagg and I would still not touch it with a pole barge ;)

And by the way if you do not use Eukanuba for food (meal) just use it for treats ;) thats what im thinking of doing with a 1kg sample I got (cant remember the brand tho;))!

xx

14. Cuddypuppy

Good idea :D, I didn't think of that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice