Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Roxy's progress so far...

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by amanda123, Aug 19, 2009.

1. amanda123

amanda123 PetForums Member

Hello All

Well, Roxy's been here for two days and is making good progress so far. She's had two accidents (number 1s only) in the house, one of which I caught her doing so I scooped her up and took her outside. She's been going outside other than that and seems to understand that's where she should go! She's picked a spot at the back of the garden where she goes every time.

I am in the process of clicker training her to 'sit' but only had one session so far so still working on it. She's been out for two short walks (she's already 16 weeks and has had her jabs with the breeder) and walked really well on the lead, so all good so far. We're distracting her whenever she does something we don't like (eg jumping up) by doing a Cesar style 'Shhhhh!' noise.

At night, she sleeps in her crate in our room. Last night she whined for about 1 minute and then slept through till this morning apart from waking us up to go out for a wee at 5am...

We have two very small children and we are encouraging them to keep a respectful distance at the moment. I am also discouraging them from touching each other's toys.

If I haver to leave the room for longer than about 20 seconds (she's confined to the lounge- diner atm) then I either take her with me (she likes to follow me around or if not, I put her on the lead) or she goes in her crate till I come back.

She seems quite content and enjoys following us around etc.

Do you guys think that all sounds OK so far?

My worries are:

1.) She is nervous of other people when we go out and other dogs. How should I react to that? Today I stopped and spoke soothingly to her as the person passed by and she just sat and watched him go by, although she was a bit nervy. Yesterday she growled a bit at another dog. She grew up for the first 16 weeks with about 15 other dogs so it seems a bit odd!

2.) She isn't eating very much and seems to have the runs. I'm taking her to the vet on Friday but was wondering if this is normal when they first come home?

3.) She doesn't seem that interested in her toys (a rope toy, a chewy dental one and a Puppy Kong). How can I pique her interest in them? What's the best thing to stuff the Kong with?

4.) As I said, she's OK in her crate after the first minute or so. But, how can I make her like it even more?

Any ideas/ comments/ etc welcome and very much appreciated.

A xx

2. rona

rona Guest

Sounds like things are going really well.
    Sorry can't answer any of your questions just yet.
    I've got to go to work :(

3. amanda123

Thanks. One other question- I am using a clicker when I teach her commands like 'sit' but just using verbal praise with other commands (like 'heel' and 'bed') Is this OK, or should I really use the clicker all the time if I'm going to use it at all? Sorry to be a pain.

4. r_neupert

r_neupert PetForums Senior

I wouldn't worry too much about the accidents - it's going to happen, and probably won't be perfect for quite a number of months. Just be patient and consistant, and praise/click when she gets it right.

With your clicker training, if you're having sucess with sit using the clicker - why not use it for all your training? It makes your actions consistant and more understandable for your puppy.

We had a lot of whinging and whining for the first few weeks at night time, so sounds like you're doing well!! Expect the worst and be happily suprised. I wouldn't worry if you were getting up 2-3 times a night for the first month.

As for the crate - i've never used one, however use your clicker to direct the pup into the crate, click and treat. She'll then begin to associate the process of getting into it with good things, rather than you leaving.

With other dogs, you're doing the right thing - she needs to meet as many as possible while she's young. When you go past a dog, get her attention with a treat then click. She needs to know what behaviour is correct and will be looking to you for direction. If you know the dogs, i would encourage supervised encounters to let dogs do what they do.

As for the runs - she's only settling in and maybe feeling a little on edge - have you kept her food the same? If not changes in food can cause tummy upsets too. Is she up to date with all her injections etc? I'd say it's normal, however there are a few problems pups can pick up when they're so young and vunerable - so if it persists you do need it to be checked. Make sure she's hydrated till then.

Oh one last thought - i would try not to encourage your pup following you everywhere, it's cute when they're little, but i can assure you at fully grown it's a right pain! Teaches them to be very needy also...

#4 r_neupert, Aug 19, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  5. amanda123

Good point! I don't really want a constant canine shadow... :p

Thanks for the feedback. I think a change in food has caused it- I'm gonna get the vet's advice on a few things. She's had three lots of vaccinations and her rabies jab (we're out in Germany). Not sure what else she needs- hopefully the vet will advise us...

Thanks!

I think I will use the clicker for everything. I am worried we haven't 'charged' it enough- might go back to the beginning and do that again just in case. What treats are best? I don't want to feed her junk.

A xxx

6. r_neupert

r_neupert PetForums Senior

Best treats are stinky ones - cut up some sausages, or look at specific training treats for puppies.

When you switch foods, you should ideally phase it in over a week, gradually increasing the new food ratio to the old stuff. It'll pass, i've done it a few times when i've just ran out and not had the same replacement. Can take a week or so to pass. Or it could be something like a food intolerance - maybe need something that's hypoallergenic etc. My pup didn't deal well with puppy food - so at around 4 months she switched onto adult food and puppy food (whatever the brand) gave her loose stools.

There's loads of clicker training stuff over the net and links on this site. But remember don't use the clicker to get attention, just to confirm the correct behaviour! I caught my OH on a walk clicking the clicker like crazy to try get the dog back!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice