Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rough Collie owners...

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Argent, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

...what do you use instead of Ivermectin products? Been trying to research a little more into alternatives due to the breed sensitivity, but there's only articles on the dangers and what not to use rather than what you can use instead :confused:

2. Souris

Souris PetForums Senior

We use drontal and panacur (for lungworm) for worming purposes as neither contains ivermectin.

I've not had either dogs tested, but I more than likely will within the coming months.

Edit: Just to add, if you wanted to do some research on a totally natural route, food grade Diatomaceous Earth is sometimes used (and used by a few members of this forum if I remember rightly) for worming/flea'ing.

#2 Souris, Feb 5, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  3. shetlandlover

shetlandlover PetForums VIP

I use drontal ect for my dogs. Many who keep large amounts of dogs (so breeders ect) use garlic to fend off flea's.

Frontline is used frequently by Sheltie folk. I have used frontline with no issues but I have heard its becoming less effective.

I know some Shelties who have been fine with Ivermectin products such as Advantage and advocate but its really something that's not worth risking.

Many avoid all products with "risky" ingredients, I can PM you a list if you like.

Best of luck.

4. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

Thanks for the info - I was just wondering what you guys would use instead of Ivermectin, because I've not heard of any products that specifically don't contain it! :D
    Drontal and Panacur makes sense then, and we currently use Frontline on Oscar, I think because he had bad reactions to Advocate or whatever was used when he was a pup.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice