Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rough Collie - anyone got one?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by MissJ, Aug 3, 2009.

1. MissJ

MissJ PetForums Newbie

Hi

Does anyone own a rough collie?

We are thinking of getting one but wanted to find out the answeres to these questions first:

Do they generally get along with other dogs (we have a labrador) and also people?
    Do they shed alot of hair?
    Do they learn quickly. eg are they good at obedience training?
    What should I be asking the breeder?

And anything else you can tell me about the breed.
    Thanks.

2. Baby Bordie

Baby Bordie PetForums VIP

Hi, Im not getting a rough collie but a shetland sheepdog.... They do get along with other dogs and people, but are very active, so you will need to be able to entertain and take the dog for walkies quite alot...
    They do shed alot of hair but the best thing to do is before it goes in the house just brush it down everday, and once a week, give it a proper clean over with a big brush! These dogs are excellent at obedience, and they do alot of agility thats why so many of them are at shows! Hope this helps! :D

3. MissJ

MissJ PetForums Newbie

Thanks.

Do you know what they are like as puppies? Do they chew alot? I know my labrador did. she was like a little crocodile, and it was a good few months before she grew out of it.

4. Baby Bordie

Baby Bordie PetForums VIP

Nope, sorry, dont really know! Sorry, Maby you could join a rough collie forum, and you would probably get 1st hand experiance!

5. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

We used to have a rough collie...

She did shed quite a lot, and they do need grooming regulary..

She was very intelligent, and needed a lot of exercise..

She was a very sweet puppy, yes she did chew but all pups do that..

She loved other dogs too :D

I think that has more to do with the actual dog's temperament, rather than the breed..

Where will you be getting the dog from? I've been trying to find a breeder for a while to no avail :rolleyes:

6. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

I have a rough collie he is lovely.he is 2 years old now. All pups chew but if you are with them a lot you can stop them. As for dog hairs mine is moulting now which lasts upto 12 weeks in all but this is only once a year ( for males ) If you get them from a good breeder they will get on with other dogs ( mine does ) As for training they learn very quickly very like the B.C. If you want to know anymore P.M me.

7. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

I can get you a list of breeders if you like.

8. Indie

Indie PetForums VIP

I have a Rough Collie it's her 3rd birthday on 12th August. My main job with her is her coat so much of it lol. She can be a bit nowty at times as well, i don't no whether that is cause her mum was as well i don't no.

9. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

Hi, could you let me know about some breeders please?? Thanks :D

10. Emraa

Emraa PetForums Senior

My last dog was a RC and she was so gentle. We got her at 7 years old as a rescue. Considering she had spent most of her life chained up outside she was a sweetie. Not great with other dogs or strangers but I believe that was more to do with her past than her breed. Give them a brush everyday and a good going over twice a year and there won't be that much hair!

11. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

What area would you like also are you looking for a certain colour? Do you want male or female? The breeders I know like you to go and see the pups with their mums before you buy. When they are about 4 weeks old. Also are you willing to wait for a litter? or do you want one now?

12. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

We would like a sable & white bitch...
    Yes, we are definately willing to wait... We dont want to buy one just for the sake of buying... It doesnt matter if it's months before we get one, as long as its the right dog for us... (and Oscar, we have to have his approval too :p)
    Were in Leeds so would prefer a breeder in Yorkshire but will travel anywhere really...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice