Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rottweilers. Do they live long

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by rottieboys, May 11, 2017.

1. rottieboys

rottieboys PetForums Senior

After losing my beloved Honey, at the age of 7...I was wondering do they have a long life.
    My beautiful Diesel died at the age of 6
    After speaking to Noy at the boarding kennels I use. They,also lost their Rottweiler at the young age of 3
    My friend Rottweiler went at the age of 4
    Thankfully, My lovely Max is still with us at the age of 9
    How old is the oldest Rottweiler, anyone here has had.

2. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

I'm probably not the best person to ask as I've lost all of mine too young :(

My 1st (male) aged 5 to dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM).
    My 2nd (bitch) aged 6 to lymphoma
    My 3rd (male) aged 6 to DCM.
    My 4th (bitch) aged 6 or 7 (rescue so not totally sure on age) to osteosarcoma.

Indie my current rottie is 5 and I must admit to starting to feel anxious about her but I'm hoping she got all of her problems out of the way early on and will be our first to make it to old age.

Rott lover and WillowT like this.
  3. RottieMummy

RottieMummy Run free at the bridge my darling x

My current boy is 8 years old and the girl we had was just turned 10 when she died, she was a rescue we got at 9.

4. rottiemum

rottiemum PetForums VIP

My current girl is 9, and after having cruciate surgery and a toe amputation (due to malignant melanoma) last year, is doing very well.
    Previous boy was 12-ish.
    My aunt and uncle had one at 14.
    So I'm hoping for several more years of my cheeky girl being healthy!
    All were (and are) rescues.

5. cbcdesign

cbcdesign PetForums VIP

Sadly my impression is that the breed can be prone to cancers and can have shorter lives than one would hope for but that said I know of rotties that have lived for 13 years or so which is a pretty good age for a larger dog.

6. Rott lover

Rott lover once you go black and tan you never come back

The oldest i ever had was 14......That was boz.However with all the issues he had i cant believe we had him that long.Oliver went at 6 and the many others were in between somewhere.

7. RottieMummy

RottieMummy Run free at the bridge my darling x

Far too young for some of the ones mentioned

8. leashedForLife

to maximize the potential lifespan of any dog, of any breed, there is one key bit of data:
    The sire & dam should not be bred before they reach 2-YO. This adds an average of 2-yrs to their pups' lifespans.
    [see Padgett, DVM, Control of Canine Genetic Diseases , 1998 - Amazon allows a keyword search in most books to view applicable snippets.]
    Control of Canine Genetic Diseases (Howell Reference Books ...
    https://www.amazon.com/Control-Canine-Genetic-Diseases-Reference/.../0876050046
    (Howell Reference Books) ... Dr. Padgett provides clear explanations of modes of inheritance, how to conduct and ...

IOW, both the prospective parents should be 'virgins' when they are mated at 24-MO or older.
    This of course, is in addition to buying from an ethical breeder who screens for breed-specific heritable problems known in that breed, plus dog-generic heritable problems in dogs as a species.
    "My dogs are healthy & beautiful" doesn't cut it; documentation in the form of eye-certificates [current - 12-MO or less], vet records for thyroid panel [5 or 6-way, not 2 tests], a full-depth skin punch in 3 different places for Sebaceous Adenitis in susceptible breeds, negative blood-test for von Willebrandt's Disease, DNA test for PRA, etc, etc.
    Carrier status should also be determined, when it's available.
    In Rotts specifically, they are prone to a number of cancers - avoiding exposure to environmental triggers is important. 'Clean' food & water, avoid skin exposure to lawn chemicals & petrochemicals [the oil spot from the parked car, the spilled gasoline near the pump, etc], toxic cleaning chemicals especially aromatic alcohols [phenols - PineSol & all its relatives, & other toxins], & so forth.
    A former client of mine had a huge intact-M Rott who lived at his full-service garage - 24/7, as a deterrent to thieves. He'd been ripped-off twice by raids taking extremely costly tools. I was consulted for his dog's behavior problems.
    It developed that he'd lost both his prior Rotts, 2 males, at young ages - they, too, lived in the garage. His current dog ate, slept, & lay about the property; his coat was tacky with oil & other spills. // I convinced him to bathe his dog regularly, TAKE HIM HOME at night when he left to limit his exposure to inhaled carcinogens, & convert him to an indoor pet - he installed a CC-TV system to monitor the garage, with an auto-dial for the local police if there was a break-in [security at doors & windows].
    His 3rd Rott died at 12-YO; his predecessors died at 5 & 6, one of osteosarcoma, the other, liver cancer.

9. Meezey

Meezey Slave to the Black & Tans and the Trundle Bugs.

Cancer is fairly prevalent in the breed, which of course is life limiting, currently the University of Nottingham is carry out a lot of research in the breed which large amounts of the Rottweiler community are contributing too. Maybe because I have 100's of contacts worldwide in the Rottweiler community I do see a fair amount of dogs making it in to double digits, but average life expectancy is 8/9. Researching and finding good breeders can help you give your Rottweiler the best chance of a higher life expectancy :)

Torin. and RottieMummy like this.
  10. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

Oh yes I remember answering their questionnaire about my previous dogs and sending a saliva sample from Indie- they rang up a couple of years later to see how she was doing.

RottieMummy and Meezey like this.
  11. leashedForLife

cancer, BTW, is found in 1 in 4 dogs
    ETA: of all breeds or mixes in the U-S at death, on autopsy. It is *not* however, the -cause- of death; it is present.
    This is in part because the number of environmental insults has exploded, & also because cancer is associated with age. Dogs who live to be seniors are far-more likely to have cancer somewhere in the body, than young dogs.

#11 leashedForLife, May 11, 2017
    Last edited: May 11, 2017
  12. Meezey

Osteosarcoma is the cause of death in Rottweilers not age.

13. Meezey

Many really brave owners are sending tumours to Mark when they lose their dogs :'(

14. 8tansox

8tansox PetForums VIP

Mine are going to live forever...so there.

Zayna, Rott lover, cbcdesign and 6 others like this.
  15. rottieboys

rottieboys PetForums Senior

If only we could have them forever. That would be lovely

Rott lover likes this.
  16. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Bob is Rottie mix & he will be 9 in August.

I haven't really noticed any old age issues in him yet apart from occasionally he finds jumping on my bed not as easy as he used to.

leashedForLife likes this.
  17. icklemunch

icklemunch PetForums Senior

Not my rottie but see Sammy Bear a 14yr old out on his walks quite often! He is just absolutely adorable. A gentle giant who shoves his butt into you for a good butt scratch. Nobody is safe!

He has a little sister a 7 year old staff/rott who is happiest chasing a ball so sammy just has a wonder aroud and finding victims for the butt scratching. Still manages to jump out of the boot fine too. As you can tell i am a big fan of his :)

rottiepointerhouse and Meezey like this.
  18. Meezey

They are great dogs. Love the sound of him too x

19. icklemunch

icklemunch PetForums Senior

Here he is from this mornings walk :) with permission from his dad. 20170512_090929.jpg 20170512_090929.jpg

#19 icklemunch, May 12, 2017
    Last edited: May 12, 2017
  20. Meezey

icklemunch likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice