Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rottweiler Insurance

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by k1w1, Jun 4, 2018.

1. k1w1

k1w1 PetForums Newbie

Hi :)

Just wondering who people use for their Rottweiler insurance, I've been looking around and I'm getting between £70-£80 a month which is more than my horse insurance. Just wondering if this is the normal cost for this particular breed

TIA

:)

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Insurance varies on breed, age of dog and location and then what insurance you require.

Personally I would look at lifetime cover with approximately £7000 minimum

I don't own a rottweiler the people here who do are @rottiepointerhouse @8tansox there are definitely more but I can't think of any at the moment

rottiepointerhouse likes this.
  3. 8tansox

8tansox PetForums VIP

Hi I have three Rottweilers. Fletcher who is over 10, he is insured with Direct Line and they've been okay. My 3 year old is insured with PetPlan, gold plan, can't compare them to anyone else, they are streets above anyone else, but they are expensive. My youngster isn't insured, we put money away monthly to cover his veterinary costs. Without exception I would go for the best you can afford or, put a good chunk of money to one side each month. The downside of putting money to one side is, cruciates or similar. If one goes and that operation takes out your £4,000 you've saved, then the other one goes and you've nothing left in your account, the choice then is a credit card to cover the next operation or a loan from another source.

Rottweilers are not cheap to insure, which is why many of my friends either don't insure them and pray or, go for a different breed to insure.

rottiepointerhouse likes this.
  4. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

It depends on the company and the level of cover you are looking at as well as the age of the dog. Petplan is by far the best and I would recommend a minimum of £7,000 on a lifetime cover policy - £12,000 if you afford it. Sadly rotties are more expensive to insure because they do have quite a lot of health problems that can arise. My current rottie Indie is with Petplan, she has been with them since she was a puppy and the premium has only gone up gradually over 6 years, no massive hikes. She has £7,000 lifetime cover which currently costs us £99.22 per month. We have claimed the maximum £7,000 two years running because she had multiple orthopaedic operations when she was younger. Be very careful about going for cheaper cover in the short term, we did that with our previous rottie, went with M & S and they doubled her premium pretty much every year - she was costing us £300 per month the year she died. Rotties are prone to cruciate problems and modern surgery for that can cost between £3 - 4,000 per leg so it is worth having good cover.

5. Colette

Colette PetForums VIP

I'm with petplan on he highest plan and my boy costs me about £120 a month. Came in useful though at 8 months old when he swallowed a chunk of broken glass!

6. bearcub

bearcub PetForums VIP

Have a look at bought by many insurance

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice