Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rottweiler breeders

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Shrap, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Shrap

Shrap PetForums VIP

I'm not thinking of getting one, if I get a rottie (highly likely at some point) - it will be a rescue. But! Are there many show breeders who also test their breeding stock with work? For example Schutzhund qualifications? I don't know what else there is in the UK to work these types of dogs and there is a rottie at my SchH club.. I believe they're quite popular in the USA for things like SchH.
    If not, why not?

2. Blondie

Blondie PetForums VIP

There are a number of owners who do work their Rotts and I know of a couple of breeders who dont show but purely worh their dogs.

Some say you need German or other European lines to get a good working dog - this is a myth!! Its down to the individual dog and handler whether they will be any good or not. A well-bred Rottweiler will always be the complete rottweiler ;)

They are a few clubs now dotted about the country doing Rott Obedience up to SHC level.

One of my owners does competitive obedience with all 3 of her rotts and is currently training the youngest in Working Trials, with great success and barely a European dog in the pedigree ;)

It has long been a bone of contention with some UK rottie folk as to the importance of taking rotts right up to SCH III. I guess its up to the individual, rotties doing this has always been more popular in Europe - I think partly because the dog must reach a certain level before being considered for breeding, but not here.

Character Assessments have always been done - its up to the individual owner to do this with the dog - not the breeder. If the dog passes 3 seperate tests under 3 different Assesors, it gains a full 'pass' of character.

#2 Blondie, Jan 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  3. Shrap

Shrap PetForums VIP

So it's not seen as important to "prove" working ability, drive and nerve? Or just that you think you don't need to do SchH?

4. Blondie

Blondie PetForums VIP

Not so much in the Uk its not, although many do work their dogs in one discipline or another, other than ringcraft. Many will do obedience but stop short at he SCH levels - its a hotly debated subject within rottie folk, people seem to be firmly in one camp or the other, lol!

Many seem to think that because dogs are primarily not 'worked' that the UK does not produce the 'complete' rottweiler, and those that say that is rubbish and just because the majority arent worked, doesntm ean they cant.

I kind of sit on the fence, I like to see the dogs worked and see nothing hugely wrong in doing up to SCH levels, if done correctly. But on the other hand, we have a general public that is terrified of the breed to start with, so training rotts to 'attack' probably wouldnt help that already biased image.

Most rotts sold, even from show breeders, are much loved pets, who do no disciplines at all, again, unlike the rest of Europe.

5. Shrap

Shrap PetForums VIP

I see it's quite similar to the debate amongst GSD show folk then. I don't know why this popped into my head actually. Do you have any photos of the differences between German line and English line show Rotties?

Thanks for answering my questions :)

6. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

There are a handful currently competing in working trials, the one I know of personally I believe is bred from schutzhund working lines.

7. Blondie

Blondie PetForums VIP

Do you mean UK dogs of german lines or dogs actually in/from germany? :)

8. Jenny Olley

To be honest I don't know, I was told by the owner the chap that bred the bitch does schutzhund.
    She was bred in the uk.

9. Blondie

Blondie PetForums VIP

I meant my question for Shrap,lol!

Is the guy at your club Eylaurhof by any chance??

10. Jenny Olley

oops sorry.

11. Shrap

Shrap PetForums VIP

If there is much difference between German lines in the UK and Germany then all 3 lol!

Are you asking about the guy at my club? If so I have no idea who he is, I do know he looks like Cesar Millan though :lol:

12. Blondie

Blondie PetForums VIP

Look up some Hanbar rotts - UK but use European stud dogs and produce some cracking looking stuff - in my opinion, lol!

be easier for you to just start googling and looking at pictures of european dogs, they are nearly all worked, as you'll see by the titles that come after their names. ;)

For the UK, look up some top kennels - some good breeders on rottweilersdirect website with links to their own sites ;)

13. terencesmum

terencesmum PetForums VIP

Been lurking on this thread, and checked out the links you suggested, Ceearot. Rotties certainly get the vote in the looks department from me. Gorgeous.

I grew up in Germany, and Rotties certainly aren't what most people over there think of as pets. Most of them are being kept for guarding. I prefer them as pets, personally. I also don't think of them as scary, but it's interesting how different the views are, even though the geographical distance isn't that great.

One day, I'll come and give your lot lots of cuddles. They look lovely. :)

14. kodakkuki

kodakkuki PetForums VIP

yea, they do look great for hugging; I always thought that about rotties!!! One of my yorkieXchi both looks like and is built like a mini rottie, it's my fav thing about her- she's a cuddle Machine!

Btw, Sorry for just barging into your thread without any helpful reason shrap!

15. Shrap

Shrap PetForums VIP

It's being a pain on my phone so I will have to wait until I visit home on Friday

16. Megan_M

Megan_M PetForums Member

Hi Shrap, Just wondering what club you go to?, Not that many clubs up here :(

17. Blondie

Blondie PetForums VIP

You be welcome anytime for cuddles - the dogs certainly wont complain, lol! And yeah, i hear you about Germany, my parents did an exchange thing years ago with a town in Germany and when it came for the lady and her son to come stay with us, I still dont think we'd managed to fully convince her that our rotts in the house werent like the Police dog rotts of germany, lol, and poor woman remained pretty terrified :eek:

Yeah, deffo known as hugga-buggas for a reason, lol!! :D

Let me know if you find anything good, lol! If you are still wanting to see some pictures I can dig in my collection and see what I can find, lol!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice