Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rottie - Territory marking/advice needed please?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Schimmel, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Schimmel

Schimmel PetForums Senior

Hi all

Haven't posted on here since I can remember when :( I'm desperately in need of some advice please before I lose the plot altogether. Wasn't sure if this thread belongs here or in the behaviour forum sorry. And apologies in advance for the long post but want to give the full story.

We have a 2 year old entire Rottie male called Jag. A beautiful boy whom we love dearly. He shares his home along with our cats/kittens etc. has the run of the house, is trained, walked daily, groomed daily etc.

For the past, oh I don't know, 2 or 3 months, he has been marking his territory. This isn't wee'ing but definitely marking territory. When this first started he would do it in the main back room of the house which is the room he would sleep in of an evening as we always kept him separate from the cats at night. Anyway, during the evening he now has the run of the house like he does during the day and he is still marking everywhere. He does it in the day time and night time.

He generally follows me around the house as I am his main handler/carer and so long as he's wherever I am, then he won't do it but there are times when for example I am hoovering, or having a shower, or pop out to Tesco and the minute my back is turned he goes and marks, usually on the cats' bunk beds, or over their litter trays. I can be gone from his side for just 5 minutes and next thing I know he's done it again. My reaction after I see the mess is to wipe it up obviously as there is no point in chastising him after the event because he wouldn't understand what he had done that was unacceptable. So I need to catch him at it and then I can stop him before he starts, the problem is that he waits until I'm not anywhere near him and then he does it.

What I need to know is if we have him neutered (something we are going to do fairly soon anyway) is will this stop it? I really am at my wits end here and am hoping that neutering will solve the issue. And before anyone asks..............(in case you think we're irresponsible lol) the reason he hasn't been neutered as of yet is because we originally bought him as a show dog, but then just never got around to showing him, he can not escape out garden, and he is always under my control when off lead in the fields etc. He doesn't mount, never has done, and this marking is the only "entire male" behaviour he displays.

Would appreciate any replies. Thanks heaps.

#1 Schimmel, Jul 22, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  2. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Hi,
    I don't think your irresponsible for not neutering him earlier to be honest,you sound pretty responsible to me.

As for the marking castrating him might not work,especially if it becomes a habit, and it can be hard to break.
    Is there any way you can confine him,i.e a crate,what are you cleaning the area he has marked with ?

Are you comfortable about castrating him ?
    If not try the chemical version first and see if it has any effect upon his behaviour before making the decision.

3. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

I would say neuter. All my dogs are neutered so I advocate it.

My sister's boyfriend would not allow their bulldog to get neutered. He was dominant, marked his territory and was a b****r on walks if he got the scent. She was also told that neutering alone may not stop the weeing in the house.

He finally got neutered 2 years ago......never had a problem since. *(took a couple of months for the hormones to settle)

There is a difference when a dog is playing up because of hormones vs a training problem. Once you have removed the hormonal problem, then you only need to focus on the training.

Go for it! x

4. Schimmel

Thank you Sallyanne and Vic. Much appreciated. I honestly can't tell you both just how stressful I'm finding this. Probably because I'm having to deal with cat spray on a daily basis from the queens/studs but that's something I'm used to. I've never encountered this before with a male dog :(

To Sallyanne, yes we're comfortable having him neutered. We did keep thinking that we would eventually get around to showing him but I do think at his age now it is way too late and I guess that being a cat breeder I personally don't seen the point in keeping non breeding pets entire which is just my own personal feeling. We do have a massive dog crate (never gets used and lives in the garage) but I can use it, I'm just loathe to use it if I'm being honest solely because Jag, being that particular breed, just loves people and he does love to be with me all the time. And I know what you're saying with being a hard habit to break because our neuter boys and girls all spray on a regular basis lol. If I were to use the crate, can I please ask what you would suggest i.e. do I crate him when he is not with me for short spells? I'm not really sure how to go about it.

To Vic, thanks for your thoughts. I don't think this is a training issue and I am certain it is hormonal because also, when we are on our off lead walks, he cocks his leg more often than not to mark where he's been. He doesn't do it on lead as I don't allow it but off lead is a different story :) I've racked my brain to think if anything in the home changed around the time this started but nothing has, and believe me I have thought hard in case it was more behavioural than hormonal but I truly don't believe that it is. So I am gonna hope you are right and that when he's neutered it may stop.

#4 Schimmel, Jul 22, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  5. Schimmel

Oops sorry, meant to say that I use paper towel and a soda crystal/vinegar solution to clean the area (same as I do when the cats' spray). Oh, and he doesn't mark where the cat's spray, he mainly marks on the cat's things :(

6. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Hi,
    I would try confining him when your not around for short periods, however he may not like it especially if he's used to having the free run of the house so to speak.
    Mine are a very people breed however they are crated when I'm out and about.

Must be very frustrating for you.
    I'm glad you feel ok about having him castrated and it may well stop him,however it may not.So many people are pressured into neutering these days so just wanted to make sure you were ok with it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice