Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rottie and cold weather

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Retri, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Retri

Retri PetForums Senior

Just wondering if I sbould be putting a coat on maddie when we go out as she seems reluctant to spend much time outside when its cold, CJ obviously relishes cold weathrr with his copious ammounts of fur but maddie isnt as keen.

Do rotties feel the cold?

2. rona

rona Still missing my boys

If your house is warm, her coat if sparse and you know it's the cold that's bothering her, then yes :)

3. Vicki

Vicki PetForums VIP

Some rotties are sensitive to the cold, because they don't have undercoat (or thick enough undercoat). At least where I live (Sweden) it's a breed problem that rotties don't have enough undercoat, which make them suffer from the cold. If your dog is cold I think you should put a coat on.

I have a Malinois and she's short haired, but has a thick undercoat and she doesn't even get cold at -25, as long as she's moving. But a lot of malis doesn't have enough undercoat either, because it's not a consideration among breeders, although the breed standard for both rottweiler and malinois says that they should have undercoat.

4. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

In comparison to a lot of dogs they havent got much of a coat in really cold weather. My Dad had dobies similar coat and they used to have coats when it got really cold as they seemed to feel it at times.

5. Retri

Retri PetForums Senior

ok thanks guys, ill have to give into the mrs and let her buy her a coat, dont think im going to allow the hoodie she wants to buy her tho:nono:

6. MLB

MLB Guest

My Rottie and Rottie cross both have a nice thick undercoat and actually become too hot if wearing coats. I wouldn't say Rotties coats are anything like a Dobes tbh. I find Rotties are not good with hot weather but prefer it when it is colder. Mine do anyways.:)

7. 8tansox

8tansox PetForums VIP

I disagree with the Rotties undercoat, it's very thick and substantial enough not to need a coat for this type of weather.

Healthy fit Rottiweilers do not need a coat for cold weather; you might want a waterproof one if you're out for hours with your dog in the rain, but no, they definitely do not need a coat in the UK if they're fit and healthy.

Trust me.;)

8. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

Without sounding really thick how would you know if your dog has an undercoat as such? :eek: Is it quite obvious? I dont think Millie does :eek:

Millie has quite a wirely coat but she does seem to feel the cold on lead walks :eek:

9. ballybee

ballybee PetForums VIP

Tummel has a very thick undercoat, he loves being out when it's cold and he's always toasty and great for warming up my hands when we go out ;)

Dan needs a coat as his is still very much covered in puppy fur but once his adult coat comes through he should be fine :)

10. MLB

MLB Guest

My rottie Holly & Rottie cross Chaos have a outer coat which is sleek and smooth but if you push the fur upwards you can see the thicker softer coat underneath which is the undercoat. When I groom them lots of uncoat comes out but the top coat hardly sheds.

11. Vicki

Vicki PetForums VIP

Rotties coats are not supposed to be like Dobes. The breed standard for Rottweiler says that it should have undercoat, but the breed standard for Dobermann says that undercoat is not allowed.

I know a couple of Rottweilers that doesn't have enough undercoat and I've heard frot Rottweiler owners that it is a bit of a problem in the breed. Most Rotties probably have sufficient undercoat, but not all of them.

But to be honest, I don't think breed really matters. If a dog suffers from the cold- give it a coat.

12. mrsaxlrose

mrsaxlrose PetForums Member

Oh my goodness the pic of you little Rottie puppy should come with a 'cuteness overload warning'!
    I have two Dobermans. A slightly build female who isn't bothered by the cold and even on the coldest of days will go and lie down in ice cold water which makes my skin ache just to watch her. The male on the other hand is a much bigger build and is a complete pussy when it come to getting cold:D. Neither has any undercoat

#12 mrsaxlrose, Nov 5, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  13. MLB

MLB Guest

I misread a post and I thought someone had mentioned Rottweilers coats are like dobes and I was saying they are nothing like Rottweilers coats.

#13 MLB, Nov 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2012
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice