UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:(so Rosie had her first visit to the vet since I've had her and contrary to what I thought she was terrified! I'd commented in Broccolis thread that I thought she would purr her contented head off but she didn't, it reminded me just how far she has come since last November! But anyway... It turns out she has got gingivitis and she's had to be put on antibiotics, if they don't work ( which is common) then she has to go in for a scale and polish and if they find any cavities then all her teeth will have to be removed :eek::eek: now she said that cats can adapt and manage pretty well without teeth so surmising this is right that's ok! My problem is pet plan! I'm not sure if they will cover her treatments if this doesn't work because its her first visit, I'd booked her in for boosters and dental check because that's what petplan state, dental check yearly, but this is her first one????

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
When Cookie was diagnosed with gingivitis, PetPlan said I would be covered for any treatment, and I had literally extended the free 4 week plan the day before, she was diagnosed.

Opps I didn't know about yearly dental checks though but I guess if she is seen by my vet during the year, then that should be OK.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When Cookie was diagnosed with gingivitis, PetPlan said I would be covered for any treatment, and I had literally extended the free 4 week plan the day before, she was diagnosed.

Opps I didn't know about yearly dental checks though but I guess if she is seen by my vet during the year, then that should be OK.
Oh really :D
Yes when you have your boosters ask for a dental check too

·
Registered
780 Posts
Are you going to try to clean her teeth as well? When I took Bandit for her jabs a couple of weeks ago, the vet said she's got tartar & slight signs of gingivitis, but it's not bad yet. He recommended the Hills dental food, which I'm giving her with each wet meal & I've since every day begun to clean her teeth & she's taking to it pretty well so far with just my finger as she loves the taste of the toothpaste, but we're making great progress & I'm able to rub it on her teeth & gums now.
I'd recommend giving it a try as it should prevent the condition getting any worse.
This is what I'm using & it's way cheaper online than at the vets
Enzymatic Toothpaste for Cats - Fish Flavour - Animed Direct

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The vet told me not to even try to brush her teeth but did recomend a powder to sprinkle on their food which helps reduce plaque and also said that applaws food has a plaque reducing thing in it or something about applaws being better for their teeth than any other! I ordeed loads of applaws but they turned their nose up typically so I'm gonna now try again mixing it with food they like

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
Ok what was the reason the vet gave for not trying to brush ? Was it that the gum line might be damaged. I would give the logic gel a try and let her lick it off your finger.

What did they say was in Applaws food ? Not heard that one before. :confused:

·
Registered
780 Posts
I too would be keen to hear why they said not to brush her teeth, mine said it would be a good idea, though not all cats would tolerate it.

+1 on the logic gel on your finger though, Bandit loves both that & the toothpaste as well. As they are both enzymes, just getting them in the mouth at all will help.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know how you feel with this my poor sheldon is going in on Friday for his teeth to be removed im terrified :(
Oh no!!! :( poor Sheldon!! :( for the same reason??? hope all goes well xxxx

The vet just said some cats will tolerate their teeth brushing but not to even bother with Rosie and that the plaque off powder was really good and as good as brushing with no stress to the cat! So I've just ordered some and will give it a whirl! Gotta start her with the antibiotics on sat and its a 10 day course I'm hoping it works and she won't need any surgery!
When I got her i commented to patsy she swallowed a lot and patsy said not to worry she had just had a full health check and all was fine but the vet said that was a classic symptom and her smelly breath so she could have had it for almost a year :( maybe longer! poor girl :(

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Oh poor Rosie! My cat Buster was diagnosed with gingivitis too when he was really young, a year old I think but lived happily on a complete dry diet until the age of 15. I don't know if you would be happy going down that route but as long as you have some dry food for the teeth I'm sure Rosie would be just fine :)

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh that's interesting! I wondered this actually! She loves her cat biscuits, well all food actually bless her! It's Oscar who's the fussy one! As long as she was ok on dry I'd be happy to do that rather than take her teeth I think! Although I bet if the vet advised to remove and we didn't, they wouldn't cover for the future ( pet ins) cos I know someone with a similar thing with her dog!

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
When we were told Buster had bad teeth with the gingivitis we felt like we were bad parents being told off by the dentist for giving too many sweets iykwim but once he was on the science plan dry he was fine but I have been told since that boy cats do better with wet food with dry as an added extra for the teeth because otherwise a complete dry diet can play havoc with their kidneys and can cause a blocked bladder so be careful where Oscar is concerned although Buster was fine.

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
Sounds like poor Rosie's teeth are worse than Cookie's as Cookie doesn't have bad breath.

Another PF member said there is a scale the vet uses 1 - 10, two vets have said Cookie is about a 3. Did the vet mention where on the scale Rosie was ?

I was also advised that the only long term solution was to have her teeth extracted but I decided that was too early, but it is a personal decision v what's best for the cat.

She hasn't needed any Metacam since about march and the vet said we could treat any flare ups, if those became frequent I would look at the extraction route.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sounds like poor Rosie's teeth are worse than Cookie's as Cookie doesn't have bad breath.

Another PF member said there is a scale the vet uses 1 - 10, two vets have said Cookie is about a 3. Did the vet mention where on the scale Rosie was ?

I was also advised that the only long term solution was to have her teeth extracted but I decided that was too early, but it is a personal decision v what's best for the cat.

She hasn't needed any Metacam since about march and the vet said we could treat any flare ups, if those became frequent I would look at the extraction route.
The vet just said she had a bad case :(

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Poor Rosie :( I had a tabby cat who had to have most of his teeth removed as he was in pain with them, he coped very well, interestingly the vet said it seemed to be a problem particularly with tabbies. My next tabby never suffered with this problem though :) Hope poor Rosie gets better soon :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.