Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Roses - how much care do they really take?

Discussion in 'Gardening Advice' started by McKenzie, Dec 22, 2018.

1. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

I have a Generous Gardener (rose, that is!) It is not completely thornless but not as vicious as many roses. I will try to get a pic of stems tomorrow.

Jannor likes this.
  2. Jannor

Jannor PetForums VIP

[
    That sounds fine for the back fence - I think I'll get one for now and then decide if I need another one.

3. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

Zepherine Drouhin. Virtually thornless, pink flowers., will grow in shade but better with sun.

Jannor likes this.
  4. Jannor

Jannor PetForums VIP

Thanks - that one is beautiful and has a strong scent too .... decisions. At the moment I'm thinking I'll go with the white one and grow clematis with strong colours around it but could change my mind again yet!

5. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

Albertine is almost my favourite ever, but it is an older rose so a bit prone to black spot. I used to spray it a couple of times in the summer before it got too bad.

It only really has one huge flush of flowers but if you assiduously dead-head it it’ll go on flowering a bit all summer.

Sounds like a weird combo but I had a deep wine colour Clematis with it and it was lovely.

PS. NEVER buy a rose that doesn’t have a scent.

Jannor likes this.
  6. Jannor

Jannor PetForums VIP

Linda Weasel likes this.
  7. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

This is my Generous Gardener this afternoon. As you can see I grow it as a large shrub rather than a climber. (I hope purists will not criticise my pruning deficiencies! It always looks glorious in flower.) The lower pic is to show the stems have virtually no thorns.
    GGapril (570x640).jpg

GG stems (478x640).jpg

Torin., ewelsh and Jannor like this.
  8. Jannor

Jannor PetForums VIP

@QOTN

Yes, I can see. Leaves are a nice colour too. I think I will get one of them for now.

Thanks for the pics.

ewelsh and QOTN like this.
  9. Jannor

Jannor PetForums VIP

10. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

I just hope Parkers send the right plants. I cannot count the times they have sent me something I have not ordered. I always ignore their catalogues now when they arrive.

11. Jannor

Jannor PetForums VIP

I did once receive a white rose when I'd ordered an orange one ... but other than that they've been ok. Been ordering the trailing begonias from them for years.

12. Jannor

Jannor PetForums VIP

Well, the Generous Gardner rose I put in to climb up my cat run started flowering last week and I love it. I only planted it at Easter so it's doing well. I will try and post a pic but as it's absolutely chucking it down at the moment that will have to wait.

I want another one for the back fence now but I'm going to get that nearer winter as I want to take something out first.

FAW56 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice