Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Roo scissors

Discussion in 'Dog Grooming' started by SixStar, Apr 4, 2011.

1. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Today is a very sad day, my beloved Groomatech scissors (reduced from £82 to £14 in a sale about eight years ago!) have given up the ghost :( They're as blunt as a anything, and no amount of sharpening is doing anything for them.

I've been browsing online for a replacement, and I don't fancy splashing out on another pair of Groomatechs, so been looking for cheaper alternatives. Have came across these ones, by Roo Salons- they produce mainly human hairdressing scissors, but have a small range of pet scissors too. Dog grooming scissors - pet scissor - dog shears - pet grooming scissors UK

Am just wondering if anybody has used them? I love the colours of them :eek: but of course they're no good if they don't give a decent cut!

2. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

OMG! They look funky, if there are good reviews, I might get myself some too :D

3. MissBexi

MissBexi PetForums VIP

I love the look of the Roo scissors I've been dying to get them for ages. However since I've never used them and there are no reviews.. I just don't know how good they are. Hope they are good though

4. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Yeah I've been looking for some reviews but can't find any :( I think they look brilliant! I'm thinking about giving them a try anyway, they're only £19 so not too much to loose if they're no good.

5. MissBexi

MissBexi PetForums VIP

I was always taught that it's not how expensive your scissors are so long as they are sharp and if they look good in the process lol.

6. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Well I took a chance and ordered some, and have to say, I'm very pleased! I got the basic bull nosed ones and they're very good- more than capable of what I'll be using them for, which is just basic pet grooming- light trimming on a Westie and Bernese.

They're extremely sharp, lightweight yet sturdy and give a nice clean cut.... and they look fantastic too!

Only time will tell how they hold up, but they seem like a very decent pair of scissors.

7. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

I've always liked the look of the roo scissors but will be staying well clear if they are light. Nothing I hate more than a light pair of scissors. Nothing beats a nice heavy pair for me :p

8. MissBexi

MissBexi PetForums VIP

So glad to hear they are working well.. What sort of light-trimming do you do? Just curious if they'd be good for Grooming my Beddies..

9. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Just tidying up around paws, bellies, tails and faces for the pair of them really, and keeping the feathering on the Bernese in order. I'm no groomer, but I like to keep them looking somewhat smart!

The Bernese needs so little doing to him that it's a waste of money sending him to a grooming salon and I just can't trust the Westie with strangers anymore, he lets me do absolutely anything to him, but hates people he doesn't know touching him (he has cataracts so is easily spooked).

Am eyeing up the Roo thinning scissors now, I don't really need them, there is nothing wrong with my current pair, but they're so pretty! ... and of course, I need a matching set don't I :eek:

10. MissBexi

MissBexi PetForums VIP

They should like what I'm after.. lol. I must treat myself when I get back from Holiday lol.

11. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

I got the bull nosed candy pink ones :) Ordered them yesterday :) Look awesome, I'll be using them for trimming Holls feet...

12. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Let us know how you find them too won't you.

I went for the blue bubble ones, I wanted the pink ones but thought seeing as I'd be using them on male dogs, I better have the blue ones :eek:

13. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

You sound like me :p I loved the pink version of my scissors but I've got males so I thought I'd better get the blue.. Not that the dogs could care less! Really wish they were girls so I could put pink wraps in them :eek:

Just buy the whole set and be done with it :D

14. Marley boy

Marley boy PetForums VIP

Talking of grooming. I remember when my sister in law and i decided we could cut my mother in laws border collie cross springer spaniels fur, with a pair of dog clippers. Needless to say we couldn't after 4 hours on and off (she had such long thick fur) we gave up and took her to the groomers. We walked her in there and hung our heads in shame, the ladies in the groomers fell about laughing at our attempts to clip her fur. She had huge chunks of fur sticking out all over and we couldn't do around her lady area so it looked like she had some kind of shower curtain hanging. Poor sophie didnt have a clue what we were all laughing at. RIP sophie

15. MissBexi

MissBexi PetForums VIP

lol. I hope it wasn't our salon. I do find some owners attempts at grooming really funny.. And they do take it with a pinch of salt, it's always done nicely lol. Recently we had a labradoodle in, his own had trimmed his legs really short but left this mass of hair on the body... Poor boy looked like a walking rug lol, but she laughed about it, he still looked pretty adorable. lol

16. Marley boy

Marley boy PetForums VIP

well i live in gravesend in kent so no not your salon :D the girls in there was in hysterics but we were laughing with them no offence was taken we just thought how hard can it be???? turns out quite hard, never tried it since :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice