Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Ronnie and her hernia ( just spoke to breeder ) advise please

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by eieio, Mar 27, 2008.

1. eieio

eieio PetForums Member

Hi all sorry to be a pain , but if you have read other thread about Ronnies hernia you will know what i am on about , well just spke to breeder and insists it is just an outie belly button and that she can still have puppies if thats what i wanted ,( i dont now ) i would hate this to happen to pps that i had bred. she said half the population have outie belly buttons and that she will be fine ??????? please what do you all think , i have booked her in for a second opinion monday . :confused:

2. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

Hi I'm no expert on hernias, but I just had a thought about your other post, are you sure you didn't just misunderstand what the vet said, it is normal to mend a puppy hernia when the dog is under anasthetic for being neutered, vets do seem to assume all dogs will be neutered, I've had vet say to me at their last injection and bring them back in six months for neutering.

3. eieio

eieio PetForums Member

hi in all honesty she is a lovely lady, ( but ) she just seems to pass it off as if it is nothing , and i feel i have paid alot of money for dog in the hope i pay for what i get so to speak (hence not getting one from back yard breeder) .

4. eieio

eieio PetForums Member

hi thanks . No the vet was adimant it was an unbilical hernia i asked him to re check which he did . and did say this dog should not be bred from as it is hereditry and she must be spayed and fixed at 6 months . i am having second opinion monday though just to make sure .

5. Tory01

Tory01 PetForums Senior

I have just got this off the net.???
    Most umbilical hurnias are hereditary however you can get a swelling without the hernia from the bitch pulling at the cord,if the hurnia reduces when you rub it gently and you can feel a small hole inside then it will probably be inherited if however the swelling does not reduce then the hole in the abdominal wall is closed it should never cause the dog a problem and is most likely caused by the bitch being a bit too attentive.And if it is a hereditary hernia they should not be bred from..
    Hope it helps? ?:(

Jenny Olley likes this.
  6. Tory01

Tory01 PetForums Senior

Hi,Did you find out what you wanted.Wish you luck on Monday ???:)

7. Tina

Tina Guest

you can get it fixed with a operation, one of my girls pups had one and all it needs a a quick op but i wouldn't bred if it in the dogs gene's my girl did this on her pup by licking to much

8. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

This really annoys me when vets are pushy and the first question is about neutering and your quite correct it is normal to fix an hernia while been neutered.

It isn't nothing and your breeder should acknowlege this,please don't even consider breeding until you have established whether or not it's hereditary and it's been fixed otherwise you could have alot of problems.

My thoughts also,I would be extremely concerned if it was one of mine and be doing my utmost to reassure the new owner and also speaking to the vet and possibly arrange an appointment with my own vet.
    In all honesty the breeder should have picked this up before selling the pup and made the new owner aware of it.
    I would never sell a pup as a breeding bitch or show quality either because at 7 weeks you can not guarentee either,alot can and does go wrong.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice