Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Romanian Rescue Foster.

Discussion in 'Dog Rescue and Adoption' started by JJTDH, Sep 8, 2021.

1. JJTDH

JJTDH PetForums Newbie

Our Romanian rescue foster dog has been with us 4 days. He's a fantastic dog considering what he's been through. He loves a walk, he doesn't pull on the lead, he is brilliant around other dogs. He's great with my kids, he doesn't care about ours cats.

Now the issue I am having, leaving him. He's become my shadow since he arrived. I can't go anywhere or do anything even if husband is home. He's jumped the stair gate we put up several times just to get to me and he whines when he can't reach me. When I leave him to go out he's actually pretty good, he scratches at the door and whines and paces for about a minute, minute and half then lays down and either falls asleep or just waits till we get back. He doesn't bark or chew or have any accidents when I'm out. The issue is actually leaving the house. Because he likes to be with me everywhere I go he wants to come with me if I leave. I take him with me if I can but if I can't I've got to leave him at home. At the moment it's putting treats out for him then quickly shutting the door which isn't fair for him at all. He's had no basic training and doesn't entertain his crate at all. Bed time is just as bad. Sleeps all night but actually going to bed requires planning ‍♀️

The rescue I'm fostering from knew I had kids and couldn't be home all day everyday. They are saying I need to build up to leaving her slowly but it's not feasible. I'm starting to think she needs a family who can be home with her almost all day everyday.

2. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums VIP

The behaviour you describe is pretty typical, to be honest - rescue dogs often latch onto one person in the household and make that person 'the one' they need to be with. If you think about it, it makes sense - he's obviously decided your 'OK' and he needs to be with you for protection, etc. His whole world has been turned upside down and his self-confidence will have crashed; he needs to feel protected and looked after and he needs to rebuild his confidence. It can take months (literally) for rescue dogs to properly settle down. To be honest, I would not have been taking him out on walks or meeting other dogs just yet, but he seems to have done OK. Be aware, however, that rescue dogs can often go through an initial period where they seem angelic, but they are really in a state of shock and it takes a few days, ven weeks, before their real personalities come out; hopefully, you've been lucky, but don't surprised, as he settles down, if he starts to show more anxiety about certain situations/things. You're trying to rush the dog, really (although I appreciate it's not entirely your fault - the rescue orgainsation needs to think this again!) You're right - if building up the seperation periods is not feasible (and surely that should have been considered in the first place?), the poor dog needs to get to a new foster SOON. You cannot get him used to being left alone (in a very strange place at that) by just beating him to the door. He's going through enough right now without being shunted from home to home too often.
    I'm not blaming you for this situation, so please don't take my comments as such - I'm a bit narked at the rescue organisation who have set you up like this. If you are going to foster a dog, you do really need to be around, constantly, for a good period of time to help the dog settle into an alien environment - the rescue organisation should know that and they should, in my opinion, slect their fosters appropriately.
    I do hope you find a suitable place for this dog.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums VIP

This chart gives a (VERY ROUGH) idea of the phases rescue dogs have to go through - it's a 'handy' 3 days-3 weeks-3 months chart so you would be right to be a little sceptical - different dogs will proceed at different rates, of course. However, it gives you an idea - this dog has barely started.
    Note what the chart says about the dog starting to show its true personality - after a few weeks.

Attached Files:

Lurcherlad likes this.
  4. JJTDH

JJTDH PetForums Newbie

No I 100% agree you. This dog is lovely and I hate the idea of having to give him back but it's not fair on him at all. Especially if chances are his seperation anxiety is likely to get worse. As you said he's probably still in a state of shock which is why he appears to be such a fantastic but if things change and his proper personality comes out than that's not fair on anybody. I'm going to message the rescue tonight and see what they suggest. I know it's only been 4 days but I think we need to decide what's best sooner rather than later.

5. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums VIP

Good. I think the important point is - as you rightly say - the seperation anxiety is unlikely to get better miraculously. It needs time and patience, and - critically - it needs soemone who is able to be around consistently for the first few weeks for the dog. It might be that once he settles in fully, he gets used to being left alone, but that's quite a gamble and, in the meantime, he is no doubt getting very stressed - it really does need building up slowly (starting with just a minute) and, to be brutally frank, I'd not be trying to sort out any SA at this early stage - the first priority should be just settling him in and getting him used to the new environment.
    Good on you, for recognising the issues and I hope you succeed with the rescue folks. As I say, they really should be thinking carefully about how they foster the dogs; you sound like you've absolutely got the dog's best interstes at heart, but it does need that ability to commit 100% (for the first few weeks certainly), in my honest opinion.
    Best wishes and good luck.:)

Lurcherlad likes this.
  6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I would not have expected to be able to leave the dog alone for a good while, as it settles in tbh … I’m surprised any rescue wouldn’t point that out. Lucky if it were possible, but more likely not ime.

He’s come from another country, from goodness knows what, is in a strange place with strange people, and has latched onto you for security and will need careful and gradual training to be able to settle happily, otherwise his anxiety could become a bigger issue.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice