Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Romanian dog barking issues with other dogs when out on walks

Discussion in 'Dog Rescue and Adoption' started by PAT ARCHIBALD, Jan 11, 2019.

1. PAT ARCHIBALD

PAT ARCHIBALD PetForums Newbie

Beni has been with us for 3 months now and gets on well with our other two dogs, one of which is also a Romanian rescue. However, although he is excited to go out on his walks with the other two, he goes ballistic when he sees another dog. I get the impression that his walks are very stressful for him, he is always on the alert and I understand that being on a lead restricts his ability to run away when he sees another dog and he seems fearful and doesn't wag his tail until we get home. I have tried all the normal things to avoid the barking situation but nothing seems to work. He is about 6 years old and a very loving little boy. I am considering not walking him for a while and give him his exercise in my garden which is quite large. I am retired, so am at home all day. Has anyone else had this experience with Romanian dogs?

2. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums Senior

You don't say what the 'usual things' are that you've tried?

Do you know any of his history?

I think you're right to think about not walking him for a bit, it'll give him time to de-stress and also to form a better bond with you. You could use this time to maybe teach him walking to heel, paying attention to you and other stuff that he can't learn on a walk with two other dogs.

Obviously that will all go to pot as soon as you take him out (I think that on his own would be good to try) where there are more distractions but at least you will have laid the foundations.

3. PAT ARCHIBALD

I have tried distraction with treats if I happen to see a dog in the distance before he sees it and a lot of praise. He is willing to turn in the opposite direction but he still barks and whines but not excessively as we are going away from the threat. He whines the whole time we are out whether on his own or with my other dogs. I get the feeling he can’t wait to get the walk over and done with and return to his safe home. He is very quick to learn and has achieved a lot in the three months we have had him. His history is that he was a street dog for a long time before a lady took him into her garden with other dogs she rescued from the streets and he lived with these dogs outside all year round and was fed on table scraps but at least he was safe. I have obtained some beginners agility apparatus which I am trying out with him and other outside toys for him to chase, so he gets a fair bit of exercise.

Linda Weasel likes this.
  4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I’d give him a few days at home to let the stress hormone dissipate before starting again with brief walks in areas where there will be few dogs or around pavements where they should at least be on leash.

Look at kikopup for techniques to reduce his reactivity.

Linda Weasel likes this.
  5. PAT ARCHIBALD

Thanks very much. Unfortunately, we have a lot of dogs in our area, so there is nowhere close by to take him where there are no dogs and he doesn't like travelling in the car. However, we can just take him a very short distance from the house and then back again and start playing ball etc with him so that he is getting his exercise. It's early days I know, so we will keep persevering and just going a little further every so often on his walks until, if and when he gains more confidence. He is a worried little man and desperate to please all the time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice