Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rogue Cat poo

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Seb_the_Siamese, Aug 11, 2020.

1. Seb_the_Siamese

Seb_the_Siamese PetForums Junior

Hi all,

So we've had some issues with seb over the last two weeks re his poo-ing behaviour.

It started with quite a loose stool one day which he had at the bottom of the stairs, which became stuck to his fur. He then fan up the stairs spreading it all over the carpet. We put this down to us testing out a new type of treat with him, and cleaned everything up.

Three days later, we found a few pellets of well formed poo at the bottom of the stairs when we woke up. This, we had no clue as to why. Today, Seb did a poo in the living room, again fully formed and normal (a bit on the smelly side).

Could anyone help me as to why this may be happening? He's eating normally, his litter box is scooped regularly and changed out completely and cleaned regularly. He uses the litter box perfectly well most of the time so we are all absolutely dumbfounded as to why this is happening.

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi @Seb_the_Siamese -

Am I right that Seb is about 5 months old by now? Has he been neutered yet? If he has not been, then the poo soiling could be related to scent marking (called "middening" when it is done with poo not pee)

Does he have at least 2 litter trays, in different spots of the house? Now he is no longer a little kitten he needs a minimum of two trays. If they are covered trays ensure there is enough head room for him to squat upright as cats do when they defecate.

You mentioned that he had a loose stool the first time he soiled (possibly due to the treats) but that in one of the subsequent soilings the poo was formed but quite smelly. It could be there is still something in his diet that he is not processing well, and this is causing the smell.

Is he still on a raw-fed diet? What makes of raw and what recipes are you feeding?

How often does he poo? Does he show any signs of constipation, e.g straining. or not pooing for several days at a time? Constipation can cause a cat to avoid the trays, as they associate the litter tray wth discomfort and avoid it for their poos.

3. Seb_the_Siamese

Hi @chillminx, thanks for getting back to me. Yes - Seb is 5 months old and he was neutered two weeks ago.
    He's only got one tray at the moment, an XL closed one - so he defo does have plenty of space - the front door has also been removed. I will look into getting him a second tray, although our house Is really quite small, so a second litter box would be separated by just a flight of stairs. However - all the times we have had this issue the poos have been in proximity to his existing litter tray.

Yes He's still on raw - I'm due to make another batch today. Now that you mention it, all instances of the soiling have been with the last batch of food (chicken, pork and turkey - of which the turkey is new), although his poos are generally quite regular, at about once a day. I think I might cut back to just chicken to see how he goes? I noticed today that his poo seemed to be not dried but almost covered in a thin sheen of oil? I wonder whether the relatively fatty pork loin cuts I use may be related to this?

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Seb_the_Siamese - 2 litter boxes separated by a flight of stairs is fine. :) With the litter in the new box take a scoop of used litter from the old box and mix it in to the new box so it has Seb's scent in it.

iNormal/healthy cat poo should be dry on the surface. If is is wet or oily looking then it is probably not being processed completely by his digestive system. It could be there is too much fat in his diet perhaps. Cats need around 6% of their diet as fat. Chicken is quite fatty if you leave the skin on the meat before chopping or grinding it. If the pork is quite fatty I would inclined to remove some of the fat before preparing his meals.

Turkey is a low fat meat and is usually well tolerated, but I agree as this is a new meat to him it would be best to exclude that one first as a trial.

It may not be the fat level that is the cause anyway, could be something else....

As an aside, could I ask where you're sourcing your raw ingredients ? Be cautious with supermarket meats unless you're buying whole carcasses, joints, or drumsticks (i.e. with the turkey). Supermarket chopped/minced meats aren't frozen as soon as they've been prepared, but put in chillers which doesn't stop bacteria multiplying, just slows it down. With whole carcass and joints the surface area of the meat is less, so less bacteria overall.

5. Seb_the_Siamese

Okay great - will look into getting another litter box then!

I have been leaving the skin on all the meat that we've been feeding and all the fat on pork. I'll remove maybe half the skin from todays batch and see how that goes.

We've been buying everything from the supermarket - we've never bought/fed any mince as we prefer to feed seb in chunks so it has been whole chickens, pork steaks, turkey breasts and chicken liver that we've been buying. Does that sound okay? Is there a better way you would recommend sourcing our meat? Today we're going for chicken thighs as the main meat, wings for the bone content and chicken liver for the offal - all supermarket bought.

6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Seb_the_Siamese - Turkey drumstick (thigh meat) is much better for him than turkey breast as thigh meat is higher in taurine.

As you are buying whole chickens and joints of pork etc it should be OK. I'd leave the chicken skin on and remove some of the pork fat btw.

I used to source my raw meat for the cats from a wonderful supplier, whose meat was always super fresh. He closed the business about 5 yrs ago when he retired and couldn't find anyone to take the business over. I've never found another supplier as good as him. But I've bought Paleo Ridge from Kiezebrink sometimes. Their meat does have the advantage that it's kept frozen in storage as soon as they have prepared it for sale. Also they often have a wider variety of offal e.g. lungs, than the supermarkets. I wouldn't buy any wild venison though because of the TB risk.

https://www.kiezebrink.co.uk/category/219-paleo-ridge

Seb_the_Siamese likes this.
  7. Seb_the_Siamese

The Turkey breast made up about 10-15% of the last batch I would say - I was aware of the taurine issues.... Although to me it is strange how turkey is a lot more expensive than a chicken/kg!

I'll have a look at kiezebrink - thank you. I remember you mentioned the Natures Instinct venison ordeal so I haven't gone anywhere near It since!

chillminx likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice