Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Robrowski Hamsters HELP

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Kinetic, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Kinetic

Kinetic PetForums Newbie

Can I keep two robs together? I was hoping to get a female to my male rob, would I be able to keep them together or get separate cages for them both?

2. bowwowwoof

bowwowwoof PetForums Junior

Roborovskiis are very social little creatures and like others around them, I don't think they are that happy on their own (maybe I'm wrong, It's been about 10 years since I've owned a hamster, though I used to have a lot of them growing up). You should just be sure to introduce them to each other slowly and properly and also be prepared for, under the worst case scenario, being unable to house them together should they not get along. I remember that I had two male roborovskiis that wouldn't get along and I had to split their group in half instead of letting them all stay together. Maybe keep their cages together so they can smell each other through the bars, or if you have them in tubs exchange their bedding etc with each other so they'll smell each other on it. Let them meet on neutral territory first before in either of their cage. That kind of stuff.

However if you get a female/male together they will breed and you don't want that to happen at all. Get another male roborovskii, not another female one.

3. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

Unless you want to breed (which I would not recommend) I would not get a female.

Robos, like other dwarf species, can live together, but it is better to get siblings, however you must be prepared to have to split them if they do not get on.

I got my first robo a year ago and I was looking at getting two, but I was recommended to just get one as keeping two together is not easy and not suggested, when I got her even the person I got her from said they only sell them as singles as they do better on their own.

4. FeelTheBern

FeelTheBern They don't like it up 'em, sir!

I'm afraid you are wrong. They can live in pairs or groups, but Roborovskis are more than happy to live alone if cared for correctly.

@Kinetic: I wouldn't advise you to house a male and female together unless you want them to breed.
    Two Roborovski hamsters of the same gender can be housed together, but only if they have been raised together from birth. Introducing unrelated hamsters is a risky venture that often results in fighting.
    If you want to, you can purchase two Roborovskis of the same gender from the same litter, and house them together. But keep in mind this is not necessary as solitary Roborovski can live a happy life.

#4 FeelTheBern, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    ForestWomble likes this.
  5. DarkUnicorn

DarkUnicorn PetForums Newbie

Hamsters are solitary animals, despite what others may say. They don't need a buddy to be happy. You can keep them in pairs, but there is always a chance they could fight. If you do decide to keep them together, keep an extra cage handy in case you need to separate them. And, if you do, they really need to be the same gender or they could mate, and you DO NOT want that. Good luck! :)

FeelTheBern likes this.
  6. FeelTheBern

FeelTheBern They don't like it up 'em, sir!

You're right.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice