Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Robo Hamster Pairs

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Masikanadah, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Masikanadah

Masikanadah PetForums Newbie

Hey guys,
    So I have heard sooo many different things and opinions about this topic. Is it ok to house two robo hamsters together who are from the same litter, have grown up together, and are both the same sex? Some people say a robo that is on its own will get depressed. Others say never never pair them as they will inevitably fight. I know that no other breed can be pairs together, i.e. Syrians, but any robo experts out there that can shed some light on this?

2. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

Hello :)
    I certainly wouldn't call myself an expert but have done research on this myself when I got my robo, so please understand this is just my thoughts / what I was told.

When I got my robo I was told that they always sell females as singles and males as pairs or groups, because females are more likely to fight as they are generally more territorial and males get on better as they are not as territorial. However to bear in mind that this isn't always true and you could have a pair of girls live together happily for life and a pair of boys fight, it will depend on their characters.

If you get a pair or group just be aware of and learn about the signs of fights and be ready to split them if needed.
    If you get a single of course then you don't need to worry about that but they will need more attention from you.

I had a single female and barely saw her from day to day, I don't know if that was just her personality or she could of done with having one of her sisters, however if I get robos again I think I'll get a pair of boys as watching them together is so lovely.
    I think you need to get one of everything per hamster so they can't fight over items, but you'll need to check that as I might be wrong.
    If you choose to get a pair (or group), get them with the knowledge that they might need to be split at some time and have a spare cage ready for this eventuality.

hope this helps.

3. Masikanadah

8E2A5AC6-78A3-48AA-824B-CB2A8A567E09.jpeg
    Awesome! Thanks! Went out and got two males. Frodo and Eggroll

ForestWomble likes this.
  4. ForestWomble

Thank you for letting me know. :) They are so cute!
    Please stay on this forum and update as I'd be very interested to see how they get on.
    Enjoy your little ones :)

5. Masikanadah

So far so good. They seem to do everything together. Sleep together, run on the spinning saucer together, even eat the same piece of food at the same time, and are so much fun to watch! My last female was really reserved and never really came out. These two are all sorts of trouble I will continue to watch them

ForestWomble likes this.
  6. ForestWomble

They sound fantastic :Joyful
    Your last female sounds like my girl.
    I'm really please for you that they are so much fun.

7. Masikanadah

So they got along really well but I woke up one morning and one of them seemed more lethargic than usual. There were two separate food bowels in the cage and they had slightly different sleep schedules so i know it wasn’t due to lack of food. There were also no signs of altercation or injuries on his body. The vet thought it could possibly be amyloidosis but he ended up passing away. I don’t know. I’m not sure if his brother was bullying him and not letting him get food or water or if they fought but I think honestly from now on I will just stick to one for peace of mind. It couldn’t have been a viral or bacterial infection because the other one was just fine ☹️

8. ForestWomble

I am very sorry to hear about your little one :(

For what it is worth, it doesn't sound like it had anything to do with the fact they were a pair, they got on well etc and you say there were no signs of fighting, sounds to me like it was just one of those very sad things, sometimes, for no reason obvious to us a pet can die young, nothing that we have done wrong, could of been anything and it would of happened even if he was an only. :( R.I.P. Little One.

How is your other one?

9. Masikanadah

Doing well. He has just gotten really quiet and subdued since his brother died. I never see him really which is strange for a robo. I have only heard him once or twice in his wheel at night too. My Winter White and Syrian are much more active. My Winter White is up all the time!! When I go to bed and when I wake up

ForestWomble likes this.
  10. ForestWomble

Thank you for letting me know. I'm sorry to hear he is quiet and subdued, I have no idea what to suggest as unless he shows himself you can't give him more attention, it's a tough one. However you do say he is doing well otherwise so that is good.
    I hope he perks up soon.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice