Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Roadkill..

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by LahLahsDogs, Aug 25, 2013.

1. LahLahsDogs

LahLahsDogs PetForums VIP

#1 LahLahsDogs, Aug 25, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  2. pogo

pogo PetForums VIP

I feed road kill! so yes i scoop it up

But NEVER badgers or foxes! you don't feed a carnivore to another carnivore

3. SixStar

SixStar Banned

I will pick up squirrel, pheasants or pigeons for the dogs. Badgers (or foxes) - absolutely not!!

4. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

No I wouldn't since I don't have a separate freezer for the dog to freeze for the required time to kill off bugs etc.

Do remember though we doggy owners aren't the only ones feeding raw and perhaps wanting roadkill the birds of prey keepers also love a bit of roadkill for their pets.

5. Doguiesrus

Doguiesrus PetForums Senior

I always do pheasant. Even use wi fs for the gun dogs but I couldn't do badger or fox and also I'm always dubious about rabbit incase it's been poorly first! X

6. lilythepink

lilythepink PetForums VIP

I agree to not feeding a carnivore to a carnivore. I pick up deer, rabbit and pheasant for my dogs.

7. lilythepink

lilythepink PetForums VIP

look at what the other carnivores eat....they will all eat rabbit, deer and pheasant.they don;t touch a dead fox or badger or even a crow. maybe they know something.

8. pogo

pogo PetForums VIP

There was some well explained reason why not to feed a carni to another but I don't no where it was

Think of it this way you wouldn't feed a cat or dog to your dog would you, same thing

9. pogo

pogo PetForums VIP

It's something to do with nature and what wild animals eat.

Carnivores eat herbivores etc i mean if they were utterly starving they would eat anything, but generally they eat what is easier prey for them.

10. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Maybe it's something to do with passing on disease - as in cows being fed beef products which acted as a passageway for the spread of CJD in cattle?

Maybe rabbit/squirrel diseases can't be passed across to carnivores?

Only guessing ;)

Whatever the reason, I wouldn't feed it to my dog anyway and certainly not raw.

11. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

Maybe someone just moved it out of the way. My OH does if he's working and it's in a dangerous place. There's a massive freezer at the Highways place that the guys put roadkill in for the big cat sanctuary up the road. I'd never pick up roadkill, too scared it's diseased.

Maxi can't be passed to dogs or humans. Dunno about other stuff.

12. pogo

pogo PetForums VIP

well if they don't let them!

13. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

We had a fox on the verge just a way up from my house, a while back, someone had obviously moved it from the road. My morbid interest meant that I watched it change every time I walked past it, the different stages of decomposition until someone took it away! But the dogs didn't even glance at it when walking past. They knew it was there but it was as if it was a taboo thing.

I've also come across a badger on my road. I was walking back with Louie on his birthday - from a 10 miler and it was there - it caught me by surprise and I did tell Lou to leave but mainly cos it was a very fresh one probably hit the night before. Some animals get hit and then are in shock so appear dead for a while. This was not one of those times I wished it was just in shock!

14. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Jack can sniff out a dead fox from quite a distance. It's a lurcher thing, I think ;) Luckily, I can usually spot when he has located something of interest and rein him in quick :eek:

15. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

No, I would never feed badger or fox, as others have said I wouldnt feed a carnivore to a carnivore, it goes against the order of nature.

My dogs have come across dead badgers and foxes but have never attempted to eat them.

16. SleepyBones

SleepyBones Banned

He must be one of them snobish types whose been sold on that dog food rubbish, my overnight garden rat traps saves me a fortune on dog foods & Im a bit partial to rat soup myself, never seen a badger in London, theyre quite big, maybe nearly a months food for her & check out to see if the tails as good on soup as what my traps bring in.

17. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

My first thought was that a keen taxidermist had took it
    Is that weird?

18. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

A carnivore can eat another carnivore. A dog could eat a cat or a fox, it might seem wrong to you but it could happen. A polar bear will kill a seal (both carnivores), a lion would kill a wild dog. think of the food chain, a higher up carnivore can eat a lower carnivore. but

My dad sometimes picks up fresh roadkill but he wouldn't feed them a badger or a fox purely because it just seems wrong in our minds, but it wouldn't hurt your dog to eat them.

A carnivore generally goes for a weaker animal because if it went for another carnivore it would be more likely to get hurt, plus there are more herbivores for them to kill. but if they saw one dead and they were hungry they'd eat them.

19. cazbah

cazbah PetForums Member

With any larger animal road kill always consider the possibility it may have been euthanised and is waiting to be collected.

20. AlexArt

AlexArt PetForums Senior

I feed roadkill to mine anything from deer to rabbits etc - they love it, obviously only if it's fairly fresh i.e. 12hrs dead or less and not the kind that requires a mop to get it off the road!!!:p
    Carnivores generally won't eat other carnivores as the higher up the food chain you get the less energy/nutrients etc available (think of those food chain pyramids you did at school!) so would probably take more to digest it than actually gained from it. They also tend to smell pretty bad, especially mustelids, so unless an animal is starving they usually don't bother! Unless they are my dogs of course and the thing has been dead for ages then they are good to roll in, dead seals or porpoises seem to be their favourite and the smell is interesting to say the least and very very very hard to get rid of - eeeeew!!!:eek: :p :eek:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice