Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Road travel with puppy - UK to Europe

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by edc123, May 18, 2021.

1. edc123

edc123 PetForums Newbie

Hello,

I am planning to travel from the UK (England) to Italy by car, through France and Switzerland with my 6 month old puppy. I think I have most things covered but two points I would ask for help clarifying:

- Rabies vaccination - my puppy will be having first jab 24th May (next week), and I understand it is a course of 2 jabs that need to be two weeks apart. I then need to wait 21 days to travel - but is it from the first jab or does it need to be after the second jab? Are there any single jab rabies vaccinations available?
    (This is not ideal as I need to travel ASAP)

- Also my vet has quoted around £200 for the rabies vaccination + health certificate - is this a normal price?
    Thanks in advance.

2. pinklizzy

pinklizzy PetForums Senior

It may depend on the brand that your vet uses but there are rabies vaccines that are single dose with the 21 days beginning after that primary vaccine.
    The new health certificate that is required now is very lengthy and time consuming so that's probably a fair price.

3. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Please also be aware that as no meat products may be taken into the EU, you can't take dog food unless it has no meat by-products at all.

Some fish based ones may be ok but check the labels for hidden chicken fat etc.

4. edc123

edc123 PetForums Newbie

Thank you both - I am trying to get my vet to get the single dose brand in, failing that I have another local vet who can do the single dose.

With regards to dog food - I guess that applies even to dry dog food (kibble, from the brand Tails)?

5. Maurey

Maurey Maine Coon Madness

Here’s a blog post detailing requirements. https://www.charleychau.com/blogs/blog-offers/114989956-travelling-with-dogs-from-the-uk-to-france
    Unless it’s a vet food he needs for medical reasons, you’re unable to take any meat-based dog food with you.

“And one very important thing to note, personal imports of meat and milk or their derivate products are no longer allowed. This means that you cannot take we t or dry dog food or treats containing meat or meat derivatives from the UK into another EU country except where a special pet feed is required for medical reasons (and then only if weighing less than 2 kilograms, the product does not require refrigeration before opening, and that the food is a packaged proprietary brand products for direct sale to the final consumer, and the packaging is unbroken unless in current use). This obviously raises a logistical challenge when travelling from the UK to the EU.”

edc123 and JoanneF like this.
  6. edc123

edc123 PetForums Newbie

Excellent info, thank you

7. Onegin

Onegin PetForums Newbie

Actually recently took our dog from the UK to France by boat. It's a paper nightmare, though it depends on the particular customs officer and what kind of day they are having in my experience (and having talked to others). Usually they don't actually vet that thoroughly but it's best to have all your things in order in case you get unlucky.

The health certificate needs to be bilingual (there is a french/english version downloadable online if you google on the U.S. embassy in France, or here is a direct link: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/pet-travel/health-certificates/French-over-16wks-owner-noncomm.pdf) and you also need a bilingual, signed document stating that you are not transporting your pet for commercial reasons (the last page in the pdf above) that should be attached to the health certificate document.

Also make sure that the vet knows (in case they have no prior experience with these) that the country of destination on the health certificate is not the travel destination of your trip but the country where the dog first enters the EU. The health certificate needs to be issued at most 10 days before entry in that country (thereafter it is valid for four months while in the EU).

I've never heard of a two-shot rabies vaccination, only know single dose ones. But yes, 21 days after the (last) shot needs to have passed before you can cross the border. So make sure to get the shot first and only get the certificate done when you are actually within 10 days of travel, or it won't be valid.

The price varies a lot. I've seen cheaper but it isn't unusual. I've also seen more expensive.

edc123 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice