Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Road Safety

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by AJH, Aug 1, 2009.

1. AJH

AJH PetForums Junior

I have two labs: the older one will not cross the road without my permission, but the younger one has run away from me once when in the park and ran across the road. I am keeping him on the lead at all times at the moment but would like to know how to teach road safety so it will be safe to let him off again , and the way I see it, it can't hurt to reinforce this in the older dog anyway. So how do you go about training dogs to be safe on the road?

If it helps there is a road nearby that is very quiet (perfect for this sort of training) but it is a bit of a walk, not a problem unless it is necessary to train the dogs road safety in isolation, thanks.

edit: of course I always keep the dogs on leads near the road but accidents (e.g. dog slipping out of house, you dropping the lead) can happen

#1 AJH, Aug 1, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  2. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

My worst nightmare so I can empathise and sometimes they do get free near roads, inspite of our best efforts
    Do you have both dogs sitting and waiting at the curbside each time you cross the road? Make them wait longer than they need and preferably wait until at least one car has gone past before you give the command to cross. For those little accidents, make sure you have a rock solid recall, I don't have much more advice I'm afraid, hopefully someone will help more ;)

3. zanussi

zanussi PetForums Member

Totally agree with alphadog. My OH didn't really get why I made Banjo sit at every road we cross but he's starting to see why now. The other week my OH had him off lead on a public footpath which crossed a very quiet road- he sat at the kerbside and wouldn't cross till he had his lead put back on. Of course all that goes to pot if there's another dog or cat around so we've still got plenty to work on.

4. AJH

AJH PetForums Junior

yes, sorry, I forgot to mention that I always make both labs sit before crossing the road.

5. swaff

swaff PetForums Junior

sorry i don't have any tips but I'm very interested to see the responses, my 5 month old pup seems to think that roads are simply extensions of pavements and always looks bemused when I pull him off them or make him sit to cross them!

6. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Well I always read that as a young pup you should make roads a 'taboo' area and when out walking them the first times, lift them across roads.
    I tried that with Dave and it made No difference! Lol!

I wonder if the road actually differs in a dogs mind to the pavement?
    Both my dogs will ''Wait!'' when asked. Dixie will come back to me and heel and Dave will sit at a distance and wait for me.

My old family dog, I taught ''car!'' to. I used to walk him off lead on our quiet road :)eek: back when I knew nothing!) and if I said ''car!'' he would go right on the grass and sit down.
    And I also knew a dog who would sit at every pavement, and only cross when the owner said 'cross', she just taught him to sit every time and always used the command while crossing.

x

7. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I very much doubt that you could actually teach a dog not to cross a road if you are not there. If the dog has disobeyed you and run away why would it suddenly decide not to cross the road. I think that is a bit optimistic. A better thing would be to teach the dog to sit or lie down at the side of the road when a car comes along. Then the sound of the car is the cue to get in to the side and lie down and that is far more likely to happen if the dog is loose on the road.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice