Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Risks of metacam

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by rebeccaacbrownn, Feb 8, 2018.

?

Has anyone experienced problems with metacam

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  1. rebeccaacbrownn

rebeccaacbrownn PetForums Newbie

so recently I’ve been posting about my dog’s swellings not going away with Metacam.

Past couple of days he’s been sick (Just bringing up his food) and increased his water consumption and phoned the vet tonight and got an emergency app tomorrow morning. Max has had a stomach problem as a puppy and the medication he was given for an infection in his mouth was too strong and weakened his the lining of his stomach.

The vet never once told us his stomach could flare up because of the Metacam and now we have an unwell dog. Not only is he tired from being sick and being sick, he is now off his Metacam as of last night and his arthritis is flaring up already!

Did anyone else experience this problem with Metacam?

2. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

Vomiting & diarrhoea are known side-effects of Metacam, and I believe it is not recommended to be given to dogs suffering from gastrointestinal disorders (though I don't know if your dogs history would put him in that category?).

My dogs have both had Metacam at some point (only for a few days at most though) and both been fine with it.

3. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

A friend of mines dog recently died apparently due to metacam prescribed for arthritis. He developed a gastric ulcer which ruptured and he couldn't be saved.

On the other hand, one of my previous dogs was on metacam for several years with no ill affects

4. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

My bitch injured her back in October and was injected with Metacam for pain relief. Three days later there was a swelling the size of a duck egg between her shoulder blades....!!

I'm not keen on Metacam for any of my collies as, at the very least, it tends to give them diarrhoea.

5. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Metacam is Meloxicam, Metacam is one brand name there are also others, like other Non steroidal anti inflamatories it can cause gastric problems as a side affect with some dogs.
    It should not be used in dogs that have gastrointestinal disorders, or dogs with kidney, liver or heart issues either.Use should also be avoided in dogs that are dehydrated, or suffering from low blood pressure or dogs that are hypovolemic which means decrease in blood volunme ie plasma.

You can find more on Metacam (meloxicam contra indications and warnings on the link below.
    http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/?id=-447613

6. pennyLokiMUM

pennyLokiMUM PetForums Member

Loki has gastric issues and years ago he was given Metacam and within days upset tum, they gave him a 7 day rest (have to between different drugs)and then Previcox and he was on this for 3 years problem free as apparently this is gentler on the tum, now nothing as everything upsets the tum he can have Parndale which is paracetomol for dogs which is his only pain relief when he needs it
    Any signs of upset tum on tablets I take them off straight away and back to the Vet

7. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

Thai can't tolerate Metacam so instead he gets Onsior.
    He has been on Onsior alongside probiotics for over a year now and hasn't had an upset tummy at all.

8. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

Ty couldn't take Metacam as it gave him a bad stomach. I talked to the vet and then put him on Pardale. The vet wanted to give him another NSAID but I wasn't happy about it. He did ok on the Pardale with his rickety elbows and I kept his weight down which really helped

9. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Elliot can’t have Metacam. The vets have a warning on his file and he gets previcox instead. My other dog is fine with metacam.

10. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Ziggy always had colitis from metacam liquid given orally, but was OK when it was injected. She was fine with Tramadol as an alternative painkiller, but of course that doesn't have the anti-inflammatory effect. Possible side-effects and contra-indications are clearly written in the leaflet that comes with it, did you not read that @rebeccaacbrownn?
    I have 3 other dogs; one is fine with metacam and the other 2 have never had it.

11. rebeccaacbrownn

rebeccaacbrownn PetForums Newbie

Thank you for your comments on my thread however unfortunately last night our chocolate boy went on his venture over the rainbow bridge and into the kennel in the sky. He didn’t have an adverse effect to Metacam rather mast cell cancer spread throughout his body with histamines being released making him sick. As you can imagine the biggest shock of my life taking him down to the vets with sickness and leaving with our world turned upside down.

12. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

I'm so sorry to hear this. What a shock for you.

13. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

So very sorry for your loss.

14. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

Oh, I know how that feels. Had a similar thing with my old boy. Big hug from me.

15. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

So sorry your early visits to the forum have been under such tragic circumstances. If you feel able please stay around.

16. ladyisla

ladyisla PetForums Member

So sorry to hear about Max, what a shock :( Thinking of you.

17. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear your sad news.

18. pennyLokiMUM

pennyLokiMUM PetForums Member

sorry for you loss, hugs x rest in peace puppy x

19. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

So very sorry to hear of your loss.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice