Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rippling skin syndrome?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Simonetta, Dec 30, 2020.

1. Simonetta

Simonetta PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

I have two half Siberians who are 7.5yrs old. We have had them since they were babies. Loki (the girl) has always suffered from rippling skin syndrome but lately it is driving her mad. She's obsessively liking her tail, spinning around etc. Now her brother Thor started to display the same behaviour. The vet suggested Zylkene and they've been on it for years but there's no benefit to be seen.

Does anybody know how to help them? It's literally driving them mad when they get it.

Thanks so much,
    Simonetta

2. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

This sounds like FHS, Feline Hyperesthesia Syndrome. Sometimes it can be controlled by improving the diet. What are you feeding them? I had a cat many years ago, before FHS was known much about, who was diagnosed with idiopathic partial seizure disorder.

These days he would have been diagnosed with FHS. His symptoms were so severe he had to take phenobarbital all his life to control them. I didn't know, then, about how diet can affect the symptoms. It was a long time ago.

If diet changes don't help, medication is usually the next step.

OrientalSlave likes this.
  3. Simonetta

Thanks so much for the info, that's super interesting. We fees them Almo Nature pouches and biccies, all flavours apart from chicken. We got a 3rd cat who's colitis gets triggered by chicken.

What food would you recommend?

Best,
    Sim

4. Simonetta

I just realised the biccies are Royal Canin actually.

5. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

The Royal Canin kibble probably contains chicken, as most of their recipes do.

Which flavours are the Almo Nature pouches?

One of my previous cats who had FHS did better on a diet that was turkey based. e.g. Animonda Vom Feinsten for Neutered cats (from Zooplus)

Bethanjane22 likes this.
  6. Bethanjane22

Bethanjane22 PetForums Senior

I'm not sure if this helps, but I noticed one of my girls getting this sort of thing quite a lot, she'd run around the house like there was a demon on her back. Out of necessity (due to quality and stock issues) we gradually changed them onto Animonda vom Feinsten for Neutered cats (Turkey Pure & Turkey & Salmon) and I've noticed that she very rarely gets episodes of rippling skin and twitchy back now. My girl has never been diagnosed with FHS but thought this may be of help :)

chillminx likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice