Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

RIP Missy and help please

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by khumphrey, Jun 24, 2009.

1. khumphrey

khumphrey PetForums Junior

Hi everyone,

Today we lost one of our rabbits missy:crying: Rip!!

We have had missy and pixie since may so about 2 months so they were 16 weeks old. Never got round to introducing them both to you. They have a run but when its not raining we put the dogs in the house and let the rabbits out to have a good old run. When my mom was coming out of the house today the dogs escaped. I won't go into details but poor missy didn't get away :crying: :crying: It was so horrible she was squeaking! We just didn't have enough arms to get all 3 dogs back into the house:crying:

Now poor pixie who has never been on her/his own as they were 2 borther/sisters (they were the same sex but not sure which) is lost we have put her a little teddy in but she just keeps looking for pixie:crying: they used to do everything together, try and break out of the garden even go to the toilet together

What should we do now to help pixie get over it?

Were all so upset and gob smacked thats its happened, not sure what to do with pixie now as she seems so lost. Were hoping that she'll last the night. She has no injuries but just the shock of the dogs chasing her round the garden:crying:

So run/hop free over rainbow bridge missy. You will be missed loads and loads :crying:

(Sorry for the essay)
    Kirsty

2. frags

frags PetForums VIP

oh kirsty im so sorry to hear of whats happened to poor missy.

i dont know what to sugest what to do for pixie but im pretty sure she will be fine in a few days time after she has got through the shock.

3. khumphrey

Thanks Frags

She has been still been coming out to us which we were shocked at as
    we thought she'd just hide away, haven't put her out in the garden yet but think maybe we should leave it a few days? until she settles?

We have given her extra carrots and hay and shes still eating it all up

:crying:

4. Cavalierlover123

Cavalierlover123 PetForums VIP

I am so so sorry to hear about missy! RIP lil bun!:(
    I think you should get another bunny as i think since pixie has had missy for company all his/her life he/she will be very lonely. maybe rescue a bunny from a shelter. thats just my opinion.
    sorry again hun! x x x

5. Gobaith

Gobaith PetForums VIP

Rest peacefully littlun!
    Run free over the bridge! :)
    Chloe x

6. toddy

toddy PetForums Senior

Sorry to hear of the tragic death of you rabbit.
    I know it is difficult but please think about the future and the possibility of this happening again and penning pff and area the dogs cannot get to.
    Please do not take this as critisicsm or blame as accidents happen and I am certain that in no way would you have meant this to happen.

It is awful when a rabbit loses its friend and they look so forlorn but you have done the right thing by giving her a teddy and all you can do now is give her time and an extra few cuddles and she will be fine.
    RIP Missy xxx

7. khumphrey

The dog that got out first Jill would never have pushed the door before but today she did. It keeps jamming as we have a back door into a porch then a porch door so we thought it was safe. So now were getting the porch door sorted so that we can lock it anytime pixie is out or if someone has to go in the can lock the door preventing this from happening again just wish we could have done it yesterday or last week or any other day :crying:

8. toddy

toddy PetForums Senior

As I said I know accidents happen and I am truly sorry .It is not a nice thing to have witnessed and my heart goes out to you xxx

9. khumphrey

Thanks ((((hugs))))

What we didn't realise because we were screaming the kids at the neighbours were looking out the window and saw it all happen and the little boy the other side was watching through a hole in the fence. Poor kids it was bad enough for us

10. jaxb05

jaxb05 PetForums VIP

I'm sorry. x

11. scosha37

scosha37 PetForums VIP

Yeah sorry to here of your sad news xx

R.I.P little one xxx

12. Lisa Franklin

Lisa Franklin PetForums Junior

This is such a sad story, my heart really does go out to you!!

I agree that it would be a good idea to get her a new friend, maybe leave it a few days for her to get over it.

13. umber

umber PetForums VIP

Gosh thats a terribly sad story! Sorry for your loss and its good you are securing the door even more than it was before. Try not to dwell on 'if only we had done it before' as it wont change anything but learn from it and hopefully bunny will start feeling bit better and less shocked soon! Yes a friend will be nice and it would be a good idea to try getting a rescue and even asking the rescue to help bond them!

Keep us updated and sorry once again my thoughts are with you

xxx

14. khumphrey

Thanks so much everyone couldn't get to sleep last night, but pixie is ok this morning she has had a cuddle and is now in her run sat at the front just watching out :crying:

We have been talking about getting another bun friend for her but don't know what to do? and don't want to do it to soon as we don't want to just replace her but then on the other hand pixie is lost with out her:001_unsure:

15. Lisa Franklin

Lisa Franklin PetForums Junior

I know that this is a bit different but....

We lost our dog in January (I had had her from a pup, since I was a little girl), she was a fantastic age - 16, when I moved out from my partents she came with me.

We got a cat who is 6 years old not and she had never been without Daisy. When daisy went she was really lost and sad, we waited about two months for her and us to get over it (still not fully over it) and then got another cat so she had a new friend.

It is hard to know when it is the best time to do these things because you can never replace someone you have lost.

Katie is now really happy with her new friend Bridget and they get on brilliantly.

I think that you will know when it is the right time.

16. mimi g

mimi g PetForums VIP

Such a sad loss RIP!

I think she needs a friend if she is an outdoor bun.......My bun is on his own but a house rabbit and he really craves our attention so I think all buns should have company of some sort.

xxxxxxxx

17. kellyrich

kellyrich PetForums VIP

So sorry for your loss, such a sad story!

But defo get a friend, she will be lonely on her own xx

18. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

I am so sorry that you have lost one of your buns, particulary in that way.
    I have just lost one of a pair(friday), and while I didnt want to just replace Kodi, I thought of Rascal and how much easier it would be to introduce a new one sooner, so he can get over it easier maybe and he wouldnt have to be lonely for too long. As it is I have 2 girls that I have tried him with and they are getting on brilliantly so I was lucky.
    Maybe find out what sex the one you have is and get the opposite from a rescue, they are usually neutered/spayed so they should bond easier. The rescue may do it for you.

*Heidi*

19. khumphrey

Thanks so much everyone for your loverly comments it means alot

Its horrible going out to pixie now she seems so lonely, she moves her teddy
    that we have put in round with her. She jumped earlier when she heard the dogs. Were still not talking to the dogs (i know its not there fault in one way but it is in another) Makes me feel sick :mad: I have been trying not to think to much about it because it was just so horrible, don't think i will ever get over it.

We have sorted the door out and were buing extra locks to put on the gate between the dogs and pixie so that if one doesn't catch the other will. We don't really like leaving them outside now without us being out there i know that there not likly to get to pixie but we thought that before this horrible horrible accident :crying:

Sorry for another essay

20. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

I think if she is like that with her teddy you should definately consider another bunny, and although you dont just want to replace the one you lost i think the sooner the better for your bun if she is very lonely. i'm wondering if it might help her stress when the dogs bark aswell as the new one will not know to be scared.
    Glad to here that the door is more secure, and that you are getting extra catches to make it extra safe. Stay stong, and maybe talk to the dogs, while I would be angry, they didnt do it out of spite, remember that :(

*Heidi*

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice