Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

RIP Beauty

Discussion in 'Rainbow Bridge' started by Beauty’sMum, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Beauty’sMum

Beauty’sMum PetForums Newbie

My heart feels like it has been ripped out. We had to make the decision to put our beloved Labrador Beauty to sleep on Tuesday night. It felt too soon. She had been showing signs - she had a few short fits, her back legs started going from under her, she couldn’t go for walks that she so loved anymore and she was coughing as if trying to clear something from her throat. We took her to the vet for a general check up to see what was going on but she collapsed on the way there - our vet is only 100 yards down the road. We had to get a stretcher from the vet to carry her the rest of the way. The vet told us she had fluid on her lungs and slow response in her back legs. She told us the kindest thing for Beauty would be to put her to sleep as she wouldn’t get better and she was in pain. It felt rushed. All I wanted to do was take her home but the vet encouraged us to think of Beauty. So we agreed because we didn’t want her to suffer to let her go and stayed with her and held her while the vet administered the euthanasia.
    I still haven’t stopped crying. We are devestated as a family. I feel tortured as I keep thinking should I have brought her home for another few days - would it have made a difference? Would it have been kinder to keep her for longer? I keep saying sorry to Beauty that we had to let her go.
    I am crying again writing this. I cannot put into words the ache in my heart, longing to hold her and hug her again.
    Has anyone else been through this?
    Did we do the right thing?

Attached Files:

2. Animalfan

Animalfan PetForums Senior

BF1B0379-4CE2-45FF-ADF1-A9739160DB11.jpeg I’m so sorry for your loss, what a beautiful girl she was. I hope these words help.

3. Beauty’sMum

That is very beautiful. I wept the whole way through reading it but it does bring comfort. Xx

4. Animalfan

Animalfan PetForums Senior

Comfort is what you need right now, it’s awful for us that are left behind but you did what was right for your beautiful girl x

5. ttaylor45

ttaylor45 PetForums Member

I am sure you did the right thing for Beauty so don’t feel guilty, I lost my darling poodles last year Rusty in May and Pepe in November. Rusty had a growth near his liver and was in pain so although we could have had ultrasound and biopsies done we discussed with the vet whether it was the right thing to do and both agreed that as he was 13 and a half it would not be fair on him. Pepe was virtually blind with cataracts and glaucoma and also had kidney disease and was drinking an awful lot of water and only eating a small amount so was losing a lot of weight he would only eat after appetite stimulants the vet said she could give him something else to help him eat but he couldn’t go on much longer and it would have given us chance to say goodbye but I couldn’t bear the thought of him suffering any longer just for my benefit, I loved him too much for that. He was 12 and 4 months old. I miss them dreadfully even now so I know exactly how you are feeling. My thoughts are with you at this sad time.

6. Beauty’sMum

7. Beauty’sMum

Thank you for sharing. It sounds like you had to make some really heartbreaking decisions too. I wouldn’t have wanted Beauty to suffer any longer just for our benefit. She was too good a dog for that. I’m sorry to hear of the loss of your loved ones too. The bigger the love, the bigger the void when they are no longer with us xx

8. ttaylor45

ttaylor45 PetForums Member

I agree wholeheartedly with you I would have done anything to keep Rusty and Pepe happy and healthy they were my world. I would love two more toy poodles eventually but my husband and I are going to have a break and enjoy a few holidays abroad before we have any more dogs.

9. karenmc

karenmc PetForums Senior

I'm so sorry for your loss. She was a beautiful girl. As hard as it was you did the kindest thing for her. Now you need to be kind to yourself. Please try not to feel bad and in time you will be able to remember all the wonderful times you shared together.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice