Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rhianna, Cross x Staffie, 5 years old

Discussion in 'Dog Rescue and Adoption' started by Rescue Remedies, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Rescue Remedies

Rescue Remedies PetForums VIP

Rhianna, Cross x Staffie, 5 years old

[​IMG]

Her Story: Found stray Jan 09, Kent. Homed for 4 months via the pound returned having not been walked for 3 months … haven't had time!

Salient points: Rhianna is a lively older cross breed dog ... old fashioned Heinz 57. Lovely smiley temperament. Over weight currently and beginning to shape up. Walks keenly, learning to meet dogs well.

Advert: Rhianna is a Heinz 57 bitza. Bitza this and Bitza that! She probably has Staffie blended in there giving her the willing smile and people focus. Rhianna has found herself in controversy this year: Found stray, homed straight from the pound to people who talked the talk and just didn't walk the walk. In fact on enquiry when they handed her to us they were unable to tell us how she got on on walks as she had just been around their house and garden … not walked. Oh Rhianna, we are going to get it so right for you! She is spayed, vax'd and chipped. Came in overfed probably on poor quality dog food or human titbits. Now having good a quality diet and she is beginning to shape up as much as a kennelled existance allows.

Rhianna's beauty shines through. Her willing smile, enthusaism and companionship ... out on her walks there she is steaming ahead enjoying it as though its Christmas Day come early. Tried to let her energy settle through a long walk, but to be honest she was as keen coming back as setting forth! Her spirit wins through and she will be loved for herself. She should be the most popular dog on our books that old fashion cross breed, as tough as old boots, grateful for everything, involved in the heart of the families activities. She probably is going to be an only pet, in our currently situation she is learning to be settled with dogs everywhere, and beginning to meet them and walk with them nicely. We are taking her nice and slowly; she is forging ahead full speed!
    "Please note that this dog is currently in kennels and is also available for foster until a 'forever' home is found".

Please visit our FORUM to see this dogs individual thread, find out more about them and follow their progress – Rescue Remedies.myfastforum.org :: Rhianna Staffie 5 yrs Croydon Surrey Kennelled.

If you are interested in re-homing please visit our website www.rescueremedies.co.uk and complete our homing questionnaire so we can ensure our dogs are matched and will suit your circumstances/lifestyle.

For daily updates click our forum logo on our homepage and you will find the full range of dogs that are available for homing - Rescue Remedies.myfastforum.org :: Index.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Rescue Remedies

I hadn't met Rhianna before so was quite surprised as I expected her to be a larger dog. She is chunky, but not as big as I expected as you will see from the photos with Cathy (my friend). Very sweet natured with beautiful eyes that just tug at the heart strings. We enjoyed out walk together and she is quite calm in nature so very much easier to photograph :wink: Sometimes she looks so sad :cry: Here is Rhianna our pretty girl ... so photogenic that I couldn't decide which photos I liked best ... sorry :roll:

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

3. Rescue Remedies

Can't get enough of this girl, she really is very pretty! A few more photos courtesy of Cathy ...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Rescue Remedies

Rhianna had a weekend break out of kennels with one of our volunteers - here is her update:

"I picked Rhianna up on Saturday to take her home for the weekend.

She is a real sweety, a really easy dog to have around. The first thing I did as she pulls a little bit on the collar is buy her a halti, which she accepted first time and then walked nicely with no pulling at all.
    We met my friend in the park and went for a nice long walk. She was so well behaved. She will let dogs have a small sniff of her before seeing them off, she seems nervous rather than aggressive. She is happy to walk past them and doesn't pay much attention. We wandered around North London's many parks for most of the day stopping for tea and bowls of water. She is totally relaxed with cars, buses, kids running about, skateboards, bikes, deer behind fences, everything really.

There are two little issues. She is football obsessed. If she even hears someone kick a football and she cant get to them she throws a tantrum. Its not a bad tantrum, its just a throw your toys out of the pram tantrum on the floor. With the halti its fine and it got better over the weekend (lots of football playing in the park in the sunshine) but people do look at you a bit strangely. Its not even the movement of the football as later we were walking down the street and a man had a football in a carrier bag as he had just bought it and she tried to pinch that one too. How she spotted it I have no idea. When we got home in the garden she found a football and was happy to play with it with us, she doesnt get possessive over the footballs, in fact my friend and I had a great game of football with her. When we got bored she just lay down holding it in her mouth until it went pop.

The other thing is she will not go to the loo on a walk. We tried letting her sniff behind trees in privacy but nothing worked. She is house trained but you have to let her in the garden when you get back from walks. Apparently its because she is unlikely to have walked when she was a young so she doesnt know that's what she is supposed to do.

She is also a floosey with the boys. She was very friendly with myself and my friend, but if a man talked to her she was wiggling and throwing herself on her back to have her tummy tickled - shameless. When my brother visited she was all over him. She adores men.

She was fab in the house, she is sweet natured and cuddly. She is great in the car, she is easy on walks bar the footballs. She is just a really great little dog".

RHIANNA IS STILL LOOKING FOR HER FOREVER HOME!

5. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

Has Rhianna been cat tested??

6. Rescue Remedies

Not that I know of. Will put in a request.

7. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

Oh yes please!

Could you let me know once you have assessed her please.

She is beautiful and we would LOVE to offer her a home.

8. Rescue Remedies

In the meantime, can you please complete our questionnaire via our website and return it to me at [email protected].

Many thanks

9. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

Sent it now :)

10. Rescue Remedies

Thank you. :D

11. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

Any news yet?

I have sent in my questionaire but not heard nothing.

We are really interested in this girl as we know how hard it is for Staff and Staff crosses to find home at the moment.

12. Rescue Remedies

Hi there. So sorry you haven't heard - sometimes we are a little swamped and run solely by volunteers so it takes a little longer to respond that we would like. Can you please follow up your questionnaire with an e-mail to [email protected] and I am sure our rehomer will get back to you.

13. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

Had a response now saying that I am too far away from your catchment area and that they cannot re-home to me :(

Such a shame as I am more than happy to travel especially for this stunning girl.

14. Rescue Remedies

A couple of our volunteers just gave Rhianna a break from kennel life and took them on holiday to the Highlands with them! Here is their feedback on the week:

"We are back after having a really lovely week in the Highlands with Rhianna - want to go back!

She was so well behaved, especially considering her limited experiences, you would never have guessed.

Firstly she travels really well in the car. Its a long drive and even though we stopped for regular short walks it was a big test for her. She passed with flying colours.

In the Highlands we walked and walked and walked. She loved it, especially when we got to areas where there were no sheep and other dog walkers and she could just run about off the extender lead. I wish my camera had a faster shutter speed so I could have got some pictures of her boinging through the heather. It was like she had springs on her feet. Her recall is a bit dodgy but she never lets you out of her sight. If we wanted her to come back we simply walked away and there she was suddenly by your side.

I will up load the pics that I have got of her later today as we are just going to go via Richmond Park on our way back to kennels.

As Lynne said she has also learnt to pee and poo on walks! Yeah! That made life a lot easier. :)

She really looks fantastic. Her pictures don’t make her look like the prettiest of dogs but in the fur she is a real sweetie with such an expressive face. She has also lost a bit of weight, her collar is too big!! She also has a bit of a waist - holiday didn’t have the same effect on me sadly. :-( She so loves life and people and would be a really easy pet as long as she could continue with her lovely long walks.

Hmmm.. what is bad about her? Nothing really. She isnt great with other dogs. She doesnt go after them but she also doesnt want to have anything to do with them. She is happy to walk past dogs but if they come too close she will growl at them. In the Highlands it was easy as there are surprisingly few dogs (apart from working collies). I live in a high population Staffie area and I still don’t find it a problem here. She isn’t fussed as long as they dont invade her space.

She will also chase cats and rabbits (or try) on walks. However, she isn’t interested in my ferrets when they are in their cage. I think its probably because they don’t try and run away, they move forward and that throws her a bit. I wouldn’t put her in with cats or small furries. However, it might just be a walk thing she probably needs properly testing.

We had such a good time with this adorable dog. My husband is totally in love with her as she is with him. She still loves the boys. He loves her so much that he even got up at 8 this morning (on a Sunday!) to take her out to the local park just the two of them. He doesn’t do that, she is very, very charming and this is proof! She has been following him around like a little shadow.

Right we are off on our last walk now - cry! We will miss having her around. She is a really special dog with so much to give. A lovely nature and a smiley face. She really deserves a forever home, and if you could provide a home containing some boys to hang out with she would be very grateful"!

RHIANNA IS STILL LOOKING FOR A FOSTER OR FOREVER HOME!

#14 Rescue Remedies, Sep 7, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  15. peppapug

peppapug PetForums Senior

Just curious why if someone is willing to home her they are refused on the grounds of geography? People drive miles for a pedigree, it is a sign of commitment.

Just seems a shame as she could be living happy ever after by now :eek:ut:

16. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

I agree it seems daft.

I can only assume it is something to do with home checks but considering that I have had 4 RSPCA home checks due to the various rescue work I do, plus I'm the cat re-homing officer for my local RSPCA branch, I also foster for my local RSPCA .... And .... I am a fully trained home checker myself.

I would have thought there is enough paperwork on me in the system to prove that I am a responsible pet owner.

What a shame the dogs will lose out on the loving homes outside of the area.

I have in the past re-homed cats through the RSPCA nearly 70 miles away!

If people are willing to travel then I have no issue.

Like you said people drive miles for pedigree's and breeder's don't turn them away.

17. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

That is such a shame :(
    Places are desperate for homes for dogs, especially staff and staff x, they should be willing to rehome a bit further away rather than pass up on what could be the perfect home! :(

I hope someone closer falls in love with her soon.

x

18. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

I live middle of nowhere and I'm always being asked to do homechecks for rescues, usually they are well over 100 miles away. It does seem a real shame for her that you weren't considered suitable, I'm sure a homechecker could have been found in your area. But if those are the rescue rules then those are their rules. :( Poor sweetie hope she finds someone else who's willing to give her a chance.

Might be worth the rescue putting this fact on the posts to save anyone else being disappointed?

19. Oblada

Oblada Guest

It is a bit silly this geography thingy... and yes it should be made clear as I was looking into rehoming from the same rescue at a time and live in the same area (Cheshire) ...

x

20. Rescue Remedies

Here are pictures of Rhianna from her break …

“Ok - I hope these pictures work! Sorry there are so many - there are more” …

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice