Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Reviews on Simpsons or Skinners puppy food

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by ALEXIS BARROWMAN, Dec 6, 2018.

1. ALEXIS BARROWMAN

ALEXIS BARROWMAN PetForums Newbie

I have a 5 month old Labrador puppy who is currently on Royal Canin Maxi junior. This is the food the breeder gave him. He is pretty much constantly hungry and poops countless times a day and his stools are really soft or runny most of the time. I'm looking into changing the food and been recommended loads of brands and Skinners and Simpsons seem to have good ingredients and don't cost too much. Can anyone give me some food advice please? My eldest lab who passed away in august was 12 so it was a long time ago since i done the puppy thing so it feels kind of new again. My other lab we got when he was just over a year old. i need help!!

2. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Canin isn't a great food - made by mars who have lots of money to throw at breeders to get them to wean pups onto it.

Check out www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk cor reviews on any foods you are considering.

It gives a rating out of 5 and also highlights ingredients that shouldn't really be in a dog food in red. And good ingredients in blue.

Whatever you choose, change foods gradually to avoid tummy upsets.

Some of the best rated foods on the site have a very high protein content. This can cause runny poo in some dogs. So the highest rated foods might not necessarily be best for your own dog.

I'm sure skinners will be rated there.

ALEXIS BARROWMAN likes this.
  3. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

#3 tabelmabel, Dec 7, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    ALEXIS BARROWMAN likes this.
  4. Gemmaa

Gemmaa PetForums VIP

5. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

I don't feed Simpsons but a good friend swears by it for her collies. I feed Arden Grange, which is slightly cheaper and the ingredients are pretty much the same.

6. Jem121

Jem121 PetForums Senior

I've recently put my dogs on to Simpsons they're doing well on it. Nice solid poos not an excessive amount and nice soft coat still. Under £40 for a 12kg bag its cheap on zooplus.

7. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

We're a Skinners household. All my Labs thrive on it - I generally feed the Salmon and Rice. When out in the field I was recently complimented on the condition of their coats - they are amazing. And they are fit. I've used Skinners for years (and previous Labs). Interestingly enough i was 'persuaded' to use another food early this year (let's just say it was at the top end of the price range) and I returned to Skinners after the trial as I far preferred it (as did the dogs - though to be fair they would scavenge an old cheese wrapper out of the dustbin so they are not the best discerner of quality).

In regard to price - my two 15kg bags of Skinners works out the same as one bag of Millies Wolfheart.

J

Mum2Heidi likes this.
  8. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I’ve used skinners hypoallergenic mainly salmon and rice and although middle of the road, my little terrier did as well on it as 5* rated foods.
    Skinners is a great company to deal with and I’m sure if you email them would send you some samples to try.
    I have not used Simpson’s so can’t comment but would probably choose something like Eden over it.

9. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

I don't know about anyone else, but I've personally had a great deal of trouble getting samples from them. I contacted them initially via their website form (as they advised people do for samples) saying I was interested in trying xyz kibbles and would like a sample of at least one of those products. They sent me a sample, but not of any of the kibbles I had listed, rather that of their weird muesli mix (completely unsuitable nutritional analysis for what I wanted). They have ignored further contact.

10. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I’m surprised!
    Years ago they sent me samples to try and from their hypoallergenic range and I used salmon and rice quite a while before changing to wet, then raw.
    Last year Heidi had tummy problems and went back on kibble. Again they were very helpful. Suggested their muesli mix may suit her as it’s not gravy coated and sent me 2.5kg bag plus the Light and Snr sample I requested (1kg of sample packs) all FOC. The muesli was close to date and they offered to send another bag when the date was up if it suited her. It didn’t and isn't something I’d be happy using.
    I’ve never experienced poor customer service or heard of anyone who has until now.
    Hope your experience was just a blip and not a sign of things to come.

#10 Mum2Heidi, Dec 13, 2018 at 7:54 PM
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2018 at 8:00 PM
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice