Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Reusing old dog toys.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Bex190, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

Do you think it's safe to re-use old dog toys and do I need to clean them in any particular way before giving them to my pup?

My parents still have a large basket of dog toys from their last two dogs and I am hoping to pass age/size appropriate ones onto my puppy but wanted to check it's safe first. Both previous dogs were up to date with their vaccinations, flea/worm treatment and had to be pts because of non infectious conditions (cancer and heart failure).
    I have put all the cuddly toys through the washing machine and washed all the hard toys with washing up liquid (all thoroughly rinsed) so they don't smell of the other dogs anymore.
    Do you think this is sufficient?

I know I'm probably being overprotective but this is my first pup and I don't want to put him at risk.
    Thanks for any help.

2. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I put my hard toys in the dishwasher, found an old rubber bone that used to be my old dogs, and a solid rubber ball.
    I also put my kongs in the dishwasher and none of them have got ruined.

x

3. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

The toys should be fine for your pup, that's a good tip for hard toys I usually just chuck them in a sink full of water with some bleach in it. Wonder if oh would object to his dishes being washed along side their toys :D, I will of course wash my dishes by hand :p.

Terri

4. tiddlypup

tiddlypup PetForums VIP

i throw anthat that survive claude in the washing machine:D
    they should be fine for your new pup and your not being overprotective,your being a good caring owner

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice