Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Returning Rescues vs Returning Puppies

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Jess2308, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Jess2308

Jess2308 PetForums VIP

Just playing devils advocate here ;)

On certain rescue websites i notice quite regularly that they have dogs that are available for rehoming again due to things not working out with the people who have taken them on. Sometimes it seems like only a few weeks, other times its after a couple of years or so. Obviously some of it is unavoidable (illness/death of an owner or something like that) but very often its because "things didnt work out" or, "dog didnt get on with new owners existing dog" or "dog barked/chewed too much" or "dog was too much for them" etc etc etc..

What are peoples views on this first. Is it down to the rescues not vetting homes properly? New owners not being 100% honest about their experience or home? The dogs having more severe behavioural problems due to their past that only came to light when they were in a home environment? Or, for the ones that came back very quickly, were the new owners just not giving it enough time?

And, related to that.. I have seen a few discussions on here criticising people (either real, or hypothetically!) returning pups to the breeders, suggesting that the breeders were at fault because they didnt vet homes carefully or that the new owners were lazy/careless/irresponsible. Would you say the same applies to the people who return the rescue dogs? If you think the breeders are at fault in that situation, do you think the rescues are too?

Im just interested in peoples opinions really...

My opinion is that the same applies to everyone whether they rescue or breeder. If they havent checked the homes and educated the new owners (before even accepting them for a puppy/rescue) then it is the rescue/breeder at fault and not the new owners. If the dog is returned after only a few weeks because things havent worked out, i'd again say its the rescue/breeder at fault for not explaining that it can sometimes take a few months for everything to settle down with a new puppy. And if the new owners have lied about their home life it is in some part their fault, but it is also the breeder and rescue's responsibility to vet all homes to make sure they are suitable so they should take some of the responsibility for it not working out too. I dont see any difference in the basic homing procedures between a breeder and a rescue, but i have seen some comments that suggest when rescues make mistakes its the new owners fault, when breeders make mistakes its only ever the breeders fault...

Opinions?? :D

#1 Jess2308, Jul 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  2. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

As someone that has homechecked for 20 odd years I can say it's more likely that either the person's situation has changed, the dog has more serious behavioural problems (because as many people in rescue will tell you there is a '6 month rule'..generally the dogs true nature isn't revealed fully until at least 6 months;)!!) or the homechecker was lied to, which lets face it is going to happen from time to time.

I like to think I can sniff out the bad apples and believe me if I'm at all concerned about a home I will ensure the rescue knows what my concerns are. While I am one of the more open minded home checkers, I certainly wouldn't just pass a home in order to get the dog out of kennels. Ultimately it's the rescues decision if they rehome and the home checker doesn't have a say in it. I have been over ridden once on my home check as I thought the woman wasn't mentally stable to take on the dog as her hubby had just left her, her kids weren't talking to her and she was selling her family home due to debts!! The rescue went ahead and rehomed to her...2 months later I get a phone call to help with a transport run to the dog back to the rescue!! :cursing:

There is also a lot of times when people just panic and I'll admit I've done the same myself! Sometimes the reality of responsibility only hits you after the shine of having a new dog has worn off, and you start to worry if you can committ yourself fully. I did it with Sumo and Tiz, with both dogs I contacted the rescues and said I wasn't sure. Both times they asked me to sleep on it for a few days and of course I then realised I was worrying over nothing.

I think rescues do as much as they possibly can by doing home checks, which I can assume the minority of breeders do not do? Obviously rescues have people they can call on all over the country to do homechecks where as breeders depend upon themselves so cannot be expected to travel the country to check each home, so I can guess that is why they are seen more to blame than rescues?

Also if you have read these listings on forums specifically for rescues you'll find people don't comment on the reasons the dog has bounced because it's just not worth the effort and doesn't help the dog concerned!!;)

3. Jess2308

Jess2308 PetForums VIP

Thats very interesting getting it from a homecheckers point of view, thanks for replying! I was involved with parrot rescue for many years and one of my roles as well as the rehabbing and behavioural work was homechecking. I only did it a few times to help out (volunteers are always lacking as you will know!!) and im pleased to say i had no reservations at all about any of the homes, and the parrots are all still happy and settled there several years on! But it must be difficult when you see there is a problem, must put you in an awkward position :rolleyes:

From your post i think you are saying that you believe that breeders and rescues should be doing the same amount of home checking, and then each have the same responsibility if the dog is returned?

You make a very valid point about the breeders not being able to check every home. I will admit we have not gone and visited every single home our pups go to. Mostly that was due to the people in question coming to us through word of mouth from people we have sold pups to previously (very often friends/family/work colleagues), and after meeting them we felt that they were a suitable home. One of our pups went up to scotland which, living in Gloucestershire, would be a LONG way to go to check a home. Luckily it was my uncle who had the pup so we thought he was pretty safe ;)

Maybe sometimes i would help the dog if the listings said why the dog came back though, surely? If it was due to a behavioural problem that came out after the first 6 months wouldnt it be in the dogs best interest to be upfront and say that was the reason it was returned? :confused:

4. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

i think its abit of both

I think SOME breeders (notice the word some!) are in it for money and really dont care were the pup goes, But i think even the best breeders also get it wrong some people might seem the best people for thier pup and turn out to be terrible owners or a situation changes and they dont have the time/money for a puppy

i think people lie alot aswell when get pups, I must admit if a breeder wasnt going to do a home check i wouldnt say i didnt have a garden for fear of not being allowed the dog (i know i can cope without a garden but they do not)

i think with rescue people tend to fall in love and think all the problems will go away when the dog has a home, i know we did (very nieve i must add) but we stayed with her and she was a wonderful dog just had a few problems. there isnt much support after you a rescue dog either

5. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Interesting thread :)

Ok,There was a breeder on here recently that had two pups returned,one of them 3 times :eek:
    Now I would say in that case the breeder was at fault obviously you expect maybe one to come back for a change in circumstances but not two pups from the same litter and certainly not 3 times.

I hold my hands up too,we returned a rescue,we tried with him,we really did but could not solve his issues and when he went to bite my daughter that was the final straw.
    He had settled in with us but gradually over the weeks started picking fights with my boy,we dealt with that and my boy never really fought back.Then he started picking fights with my bitch over anything,even a twig in the garden,she wouldn't back down and twice we had to part them.It wasn't a very happy household,so we made the decision to send him back,it wasn't easy though. :(

6. Jess2308

Jess2308 PetForums VIP

3 times? :eek: Certainly the breeder was not placing puppies with the appropriate people :rolleyes:

We have only had one pup come back (ok, we've only bred 4 litters but still... lol) and that was due to the owner breaking her back :( We gave him away to friends and he is doing really well. I would be concerned if i kept getting puppies back :eek:

I think with your situation anyone would send the dog back as biting dogs/children is not acceptable and you have to put your family first. That is why i guess sometimes rescue dogs are not for everyone :(

Daynna - Yes, certainly some breeders couldnt care less where the babies go, they just want the money. But sadly the same can be said about some so called "rescues" (i saw it particularly with the parrot rescue i mentioned earlier). Some unscrupulous people will set up a "rescue centre" to get free dogs or to make money out of people. We hear about it all the time.

7. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

In a perfect world yes I believe homechecks should be done for each and every dog given a home, but I'm not stupid and know this won't happen. I do think gut instinct is a very very trusted device (for want of a better word) and I think a lot of good breeders will certainly go off this instinct when rehoming their pups. Or like you say rehome to friends of friends etc. I think the reason breeders are blamed more quickly is likely because the assumption is they just sold to the first person who turned up with cash..which in alot of cases may be true but in some it most certainly isn't.

I think the listings don't state the reasons is because it would put someone off visiting the dog. If it read 'dog was destructive' how many of us hand on heart would go see that dog? I'm not sure I would and it may just be that the dog was being left for hours on end without the correct exercise or provision hence he became destructive. Once someone enquires about a dog then the possible behaviour issues can be highlighted, matching dog to owner is paramount.

Sallyanne your reasons for returning the dog is totally understandable, no one would ever expect someone to risk their kids for a dog.

I think a dog being returned 2 or 3 times is totally down to breeder and I hope they take responsibility for the poor dog.

8. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

My friend runs a greyhound re-homing group so i often get to hear why dogs have been returned. They do all the homechecks themselves rather than having volunteers do them, so the standard is consistant. They give a lot of information including the downsides and emphasise work that will be involved in taking a greyhound on.

Some returns are genuine and can't be helped. Often though people don't really take on board the information given pre-adoption and unwilling to try and work through any problems (usually minor issues) while the dog settles in. Its not in the groups interest to place dogs into the wrong homes but sometimes its not always easy to tell how exactly how the dog will behave in a home with that particular set up, so sometimes they do get it wrong.

Whether its intentional or not i think some people are not really honest with themselves about commitment/work involved in owning a dog. Its easy to say all the right things and seem to have the perfect set-up, but being able to cope with the dog/puppy at home is completely different.

9. Deerhounder

Deerhounder PetForums Senior

I spent many years working for an animal welfare society. I have also shown Pugs and bred the occasional litter. I also did Pug Rescue.

No matter how hard you try things sometimes go wrong. In all cases it was put in writing that the dog or pup must be returned if circumstances changed or things did not work out.

Mostly dogs were returned to the welfare society for very valid reasons. Serious illness, marriage breakups or temperament problems that arose only after the dog settled into it's new home.

With the Pugs I bred myself I was very fussy about where they went. I had a long waiting list before I even considered breeding a litter. My current Pug Arwen is the only Pug I bred who was ever returned. I kept in touch with the owners of my pups and Arwen came back regularly for holidays when her owner went away.

Arwen came back to me when she was 9 (she is 16 now) through rather tragic circumstances. Her owner also had a Belgian Shepherd and her young daughter had a Chihuahua. One day the three dogs were playing and suddenly the Belgian and Arwen Pug grabbed the Chihuahua and literally pulled her in half. It happened so quickly no one could have stopped it. The child was there and saw everything. The Belgian who was only young went back to her breeder and I offered to take Arwen back as the child could not bare to look at either dog.

I was going to say more but I've upset myself remembering the reason the Pug was returned so I'll leave it at that.

10. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

We got a collie about 8 and a half years ago. We thought we would try changing breed but it put me off going to any other breed again apart from a tiny few but even then it will most likely always be poodles. The advert said we only had to pay £30 for him to cover his vaccinations so I suppose really now when I think about it we should have realised something was wrong then. We went to see him and the breeder said he'd already been returned because he was too much for the old woman that had him so that's why we were only to pay £30. We saw him mum etc and took him. We trained him, gave him plenty of exercise and stuff but he just kept wanting to nip/bite me. I ended up in my bedroom all the time with my door shut, up on my bunkbeds terrified of him. So in the end mum took him back. I was upset that he had to go back but we couldn't put up with it any longer. Ended up getting Cheeko and never had any problems so it became obvious then poodles suit us best.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice