Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

returning a puppy to breeder,

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by xxwelshcrazyxx, Jul 23, 2009.

1. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

If a puppy was bought from you and after a couple of weeks the new owner brought it back as it didnt work out, how much would you re emberse them for the return of that puppy, not the deposit I know that. But would you return all the cost or part of it as the puppy would be weeks older and you would have to rehome an older puppy. Any advice on this one

2. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

My Mums labby had pups last year. One of the girls was returned a couple of weeks later and they demanded all of their money back or they said they would chuck her in a kennel. She gave them all the money back and then for week and weeks after they kept phoning saying they wanted more money. I was like how can they demand more money from us. What do they think we are, money growers. They said they are going to report us to the RSPCA, she told them to go ahead as we have nothing to hide. They still carried on phoning and in the end we had to phone the police and get them done for harassment.

3. Jess2308

Jess2308 PetForums VIP

If it was just a couple of weeks, and the puppy was returned healthy then i would give them all of their money back.

A couple of weeks is not long enough to know if it is working out or not with a puppy and if the people weren't willing to put some work in and let the pup settle i'd rather have it back and rehome it to someone who would...

4. davehyde

davehyde Banned

to be honest if the pup had no health issues i would be loathe to give them anything just for changing their mind. cant be fickle.

but on the other hand what do to for the welfare of the pup?

i would probably end up giving them just enough to relinquish the pup.

but if it hadnt been registered with kc or there was joint ownership clause in the contract i would probably have it back and tell them to do one.

after all they had a puppy pack from me they cost lots of money lol.

all hypothetical as i dont breed.

5. Nicci

Nicci Guest

If it was a puppy of mine, I would re-imburse the full amount just to get my puppy back safe, end of.

6. cav

cav PetForums VIP

Im not sure we would need get it straight to the vets and go from there but i would have the puppy back!

7. I would take the puppy back 100% but no re-imbursements would be made until I was safisfied that it was still the emotionaly stable puppy that had left me! And to any potential new owner the pup has become 'the one that was left'
    Not meaning to sound hard but change of mind is my book is a totally unacceptable reason to return a living breathing thing! AND I would have hope that I would have had the nouce never to have sold the puppy to such a home in the first place!
    If the reason for return were due to sudden health issues to the owners I would of course refund fully immediately!
    May sound hard! but thats me! Hope I have not offended anyone!
    DT

8. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

If it was me - not that iv'e ever bred a dog before, i would give the money back, i wouldn't care about the money so long as that puppy was back in my safe hands.

9. terriermaid

terriermaid PetForums Senior

i've heard that a lot of people offer half the money back ,but it would still depend on the situation

10. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

We got our puppy from someone who had had her a week and it wasn't working out because they got offered full time work. They gave us the paper that the breeder gave them and it stated she would have the puppy back and find a home but she wouldn't give them any money back. Probably why they didn't return the puppy to her.;)

11. Dundee

Dundee Banned

Strictly speaking, they can't actually expect any money back, although the danger is that they will try to recoup it and sell the pup to someone else. I dont' think there are any hard and fast rules. Like most, my priority would be to get the pup back - although I'd hope that I had selected a home that would not just give up after a couple of weeks so it would be because of a major problem and therefore would give a full refund (after a vet check). Some will refund after taking out expenses involved in readvertising etc, but I think the main concern would be to stop the new owner selling the puppy on to get their money back.

12. tiddlypup

tiddlypup PetForums VIP

most breeders take the pup back and give them money back when pup is sold on,minus any food,vet etc costs

13. My nan has had poodles all her life and last year when her Smokey died i knew she would get another pup soon after. 3 months later she found her perfect puppy and it was related somehow to her previous dog, although a different breeder. a week after having the pup my nan become ill and found looking after the pup a struggle so asked the breeder would she take it back. They did without hesitation and gave her a full refund. My nan is so upset that she had to give her new pup back. Shes feeling better now but said although she would love a new pup she is scared that her ill health could return preventing her from caring for it properly. I feel sad for her as its the first time in her life when she hasnt had a poodle in her life. Not many rescues seem to have an older poodle and she wont have anything else but this breed. She also cant travel far

Holly m likes this.
  14. nat1979

nat1979 PetForums VIP

I homed a puppy at 12 wks for £250 and within a wk the puppy was back i gave them the money back £150 but not the deposit of £100 i then re-homed him again for £150
    But when the same puppy was homed again at 14wks he came back again at 7 months i did not give any money back and the dog was re-homed for free
    and now he is in a great home with other whippets

Both of the homes he went to the people seemed great and when i done my home checks i could not find anything wrong the reasons i got was he keeps jumping up at the kids (well all pups do that) and the other reason after 4 months of having him was he is not getting on with my other dogs

But know he is living with 4 kids youngest is 4 years and 5 other dogs and is getting on great with both kids and dogs he even sleeps on the kids beds and eats out the same bowl as the other dogs

15. Spellweaver

Spellweaver PetForums VIP

We had trouble with the one the pups from Evie's litter - well, not with the pup, but with the new owner of one of the pups.

She seemed like the perfect buyer - she had two children, but they had a labradoodle so they were used to dogs. They had been to Crufts and spoken to the border collie people there, and knew about the exercise requirements, and the need to keep them mentally stimulated. Her son was 11 and wanted to learn to do agility once the pup was old enough. She asked us to keep the pup for an extra week while they went on holiday rather than take the new pup with them. I did a home visit and they had a secure garden; their labradoodle looked well cared for, and the kids seemed relaxed both with their own dog and with our dogs when they came to visit the pups. There was an instant bonding between the boy and the pup - it really felt as though they were going to be forever friends.

Yet, after just one day, she wanted us to take the pup back - because, she said, he had bitten her daughter through her jeans and made her leg bleed (this is an 10 week olf border collie pup!) and that she was putting him in a cage and wasn't letting him out until we got there. She lived in Norwich, which is a 6 hr round trip for us, but we went straight back.

We actually arrrived almost an hour before she was expecting us - and the pup wasn't in a cage; he was playing on the rug in front of the fire, with the labradoodle and the two kids. He came running over to us and my OH picked him straight up and said he'd put him in the car while we discussed matters - whatever happened, we were not going home without the pup! The little girl had no mark on her, and the bitten jeans were conveniently in the wash so I couldn't see them.

I told her I didn't believe a word of it, and that I didn't know why she wanted us to take the pup back (probably money!) but that we would certainly take him back home with us. I said she could have her money back less the deposit, which she agreed to without a murmur. (The poor boy, however, was in tears - he didn't want the pup to leave)

The pup was so happy to be back home with us we decided to keep him - he's our Quinny!

16. bichonsrus

bichonsrus PetForums Senior

i find myself in the same situation, i have said i will take him back unconditionally, i will definatly be checking he is ok before money goes back to her, she made a stupid excuse that her other bichon doesnt get on with it! He has been here at home with lots of other bichons, she says oh he misses his brothers, well i only have one brother left anyway. I still want him back , stupid people, should i warn other bichon breeders incase she goes to them or just leave it, she should be allowed to maybe do this again to someone else, what do you think?

17. shortbackandsides

shortbackandsides PetForums VIP

I took a pup back after 6 weeks,i resold him,them paid the 1st owners back in full minus advertising fees:)

18. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

i would reimburse the full amount just to get the dog safely back, otherwise i would be frightend they sold it on.

19. Indie

Indie PetForums VIP

Question how long a period would you pay the money back ie if they bought the pup back say 9 months later would you give them the money back?

20. Jess2308

Jess2308 PetForums VIP

No.

Once they'd had the dog more than about 6 months i would only give money back at my discretion, it would depend on the circumstances and whether the puppy had any problems when it came back. But i dont think the owners should expect anything back if they'd had the dog that long.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice