Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Retired Racing Greyhound and sofas

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Chelle_Max, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Chelle_Max

Chelle_Max PetForums Newbie

Hi,

My partner and I have just adopted Max, a 3yo retired racing Greyhound (We've had him 3 days). He is so soft and loving, seems extremely laid back and happy to be with us and in our home.

I do have a question about sofas..when we go to bed we have let Max have the lounge and dining room area with his bed in, he has been great and no trouble, but has taken to sleeping on our sofa rather than his bed! We don't mind this at all and I'm happy for him to be on the sofa, but last night I noticed when I sat down with him he seemed a bit stressed, he was panting and he pawed at me a few times. He seemed to calm down and nearly fell asleep on me when I scratched his ears for him haha. However a quick google showed me that Greys can become territorial of their beds/sofas etc. And I was suddenly aware that he maybe thinks the sofa is his now and I was encroaching and maybe his panting was him becoming distressed? Whilst we are happy for him to be on the sofa I really don't want to relinquish it to him completely and I wouldn't like to think we were encouraging any aggressive/territorial behavior by doing the wrong thing. I'd be welcome for other thoughts/experiences with ex-racing Greyhounds. Thanks :)

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I have a rescue grey x saluki and he allows us to share the sofa! ;)

As it’s only been 3 days he could just be a bit anxious with someone at such close quarters so maybe avoid crowding him.

I’d try sitting down then invite him up and he can choose to snuggle or not.

I’d give him a while to settle and for you to learn about his temperament and foibles too. He could be panting because he’s hot having come from chilly kennels.

It’s worth teaching an “off” anyway, using treats and a house line if necessary so you don’t need to force them off.

Always speak to him when approaching too as they often sleep with their eyes open and could be easily startled.

I bought Jack his own snuggle chair off eBay as he takes up so much room but he preferred the sofa ..... so I bought a larger one (and resold the snuggle chair on eBay) ;)

#2 Lurcherlad, Mar 24, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

This chart is useful to identify signs of anxiety (I prefer the title Ladder of Anxiety though, rather than aggression. Aggressive behaviour usually happens when all these signals have been missed or ignored):

B745B89B-B0A6-46F7-878F-324A86FAB7AC.jpeg

#3 Lurcherlad, Mar 24, 2020
  4. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Perhaps, in addition to the training mentioned above you could teach him to differentiate the use of the sofa, day vs night. My thought is a blanket that goes on it at night-his blanket, his sofa. By day, the blanket is taken off, an placed in another spot, indicating sharing time. I wonder if that would work. I don't know how intelligent these dogs are as a breed.

I thought of it because I do something similar with my cats.

5. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Unfortunately I have failed miserably with this type of training with Maisie, same cross as @Lurcherlad Jack. If she can't get comfy in between myself and OH, or there is no room for her on the same sofa I am afraid she's resorted to terrible tactics. These are standing in front of OH staring, if this doesn't work she jumps up on the spot, then the roping starts so he gets up and sits on the floor.

She also purposely steals my seat in the evening so has to lured by a treat. She watches and waits to see if I am coming. Then jumps up waiting for an offering. In the daytime she happily gets off the sofa by command or moves to the other side. Obviously she has trained me exceptionally well.

6. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I have been known to sit on the floor when the cats have claimed the couch before I could move the beds. I even bought a lamp special, so I could still see to sew from that position. [​IMG]

#6 lorilu, Mar 24, 2020
  7. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

I don't think he's territorial, I just think he's still a bit stressed. Not used to having such comforts and sharing them!
    My dogs know when the blankets are on the sofa they can come up (which is most of the time!) Greys love their sofas, I'd just keep up with what you were doing in terms of comforting him.

8. foxiesummer

foxiesummer PetForums VIP

I care for greyhounds for the Dumfries and Cumbria greyhound rescue. We always warn people that having a greyhound means you will have to buy another sofa. ff96e1c2e1546c9d0e7a2708200c40e8.jpg

9. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

On eBay ....

65F46F54-9B7A-4364-8D63-4C92E27AC124.png Worth considering ;)

10. Chelle_Max

Hello all!

Thanks so much for the reassuring responses! I think like any new Mum, I was just worrying a bit unnecessarily. He happily let us share the sofa with him last night and also was happy to vacate to his bed when we both wanted to sit on the sofa haha. I think the pawing may just be "hey don't stop petting me" haha. We are still getting to know him and his personality and it is all new territory for us! Thanks so much to everyone who took the time respond :) Love the term 'Grocuupied' haha

karenmc, lullabydream, lorilu and 2 others like this.
  11. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Jack groaned a lot when we first got him and I was a bit wary at first and would stop touching him thinking “is he growling”?

It was very clear very quickly though that it was a groan of pleasure not a growl.

12. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

My Maisie constantly paws me every evening. Creature of habits as humans are, I sit in my normal seat so my left arm is often bruised or scratched as she hates her nails being clipped.. She's snuggly when she wants to be but rather we are touching her on her neck or occasionally she stands in front of me with her bottom in my face to have a back scratch or her. Usually after a walk she snuggles lovely like thank you, and eventually she does rest her head on me in the evening.
    She also likes huge cuddles, the type where she pins you down and gives you a bear hug. It all depends what's she is feeling. Her finally one.. Is sticking her long nose which is wet in your face. Happens usually when you just want to rest but she has other ideas.
    Sighthounds are definitely quirky, clumsy, with bags of character.

13. karenmc

karenmc PetForums Senior

It sounds like he has landed on his feet with you as his new owners!!

Chelle_Max, Lurcherlad and margy like this.
  14. Chelle_Max

Oh thank you! That's very kind of you to say, I'm sure he will have us trained up nicely in no time haha. I'm sure it won't be the first time I post on here either! Thanks everyone for you help. Max says thank you too....

Attached Files:

• Max.jpg
      Max.jpg
      File size:
      55.7 KB
      Views:
    karenmc, Sarah H and lullabydream like this.
  15. Chelle_Max

Haha is that for Max or me :)

16. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Let Max decide ;)

lullabydream likes this.
  17. karenmc

karenmc PetForums Senior

Oh he is absolutely gorgeous!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice