Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Retired greyhounds

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Pixie2010, May 23, 2017.

1. Pixie2010

Pixie2010 PetForums Senior

My dear old dad has just been approved to rehome a retired greyhound. Was just wondering if anyone had one and could advise what to look for food wise (not raw). I can easily access Burns, Arden Grange, James Wellbeloved and a premium "own brand" food, as well as nature diet forth glade and Lily's Kitchen.
    Anything I should look out for or exclude?? Thank you

2. foxiesummer

foxiesummer PetForums VIP

I care for retired greyhounds for Dumfries & Cumbria greyhound rescue. We have 6 at the mo. As a charity they get a lot of food donated so they get a wide range. Must admit I am not a lover of a dry only diet, my beagles wouldn't have it they like their meat. One thing I would stress is that you purchase a second sofa as your present one will be taken over the the hound. Often think DFS should sponsor us, lol. Good luck Dad, have fun.

fernlady, Pixie2010 and Laney_Lemons like this.
  3. Pixie2010

Thank you. So nothing specific which is good. Will probably suggest a nature diet mix

4. 3dogs2cats

3dogs2cats PetForums VIP

Oh a Greyhound excellent choice. I don`t have a Grey at the moment but when I did I never found them fussy with food. Mine did fine on Skinners. One thing though is watch the teeth, they can be quite vile, big meaty bones can help. Yep your father may be requiring a bigger sofa while getting used to being pushed out of bed when they decide they need to stretch those long legs of theirs. Oh and mine have been all terrible counter surfers - one minute stretched out on sofa next snaffling your toast the minute your back is turned:D

MiffyMoo and Pixie2010 like this.
  5. Pixie2010

Well he's determined it won't be in the bedroom or or the furniture - let's see how that goes

MiffyMoo likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice