Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Retired Greyhound Behavior

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by RemiRobbins, Sep 14, 2018.

1. RemiRobbins

RemiRobbins PetForums Newbie

hi all!
    We adopted our first retired greyhound just about a month ago. Hes a neutered (and house trained) 2.5 yo male. He had surgery for a broken leg that led to his early retirement.

When we first brought him home, he was the gentelist, most docile dog Ive ever encountered. I know stress/anxiety would make him a little subdued,so I wasnt concerned that he had no interest in toys or activities.

Every week, hes opened up more and more. Hes finally wagging his tail, playing, and exposing his belly, etc. but hes also acting out. Hes jumping on people, no matter how many times we correct him, hes chewing on wires, and his new favorite thing to do is wake us up in the middle of the night by whining and even BARKING (which he never does, even when people come into the house or other dogs are around, etc.)

We thought that maybe since hes on some medication for hook worms that he had a belly ache and needed to go out, but when I took him out (at 230 AM) he didnt poop and seemed to have no interest in being out there at all. He didnt stop panting or pacing and whining when we got back inside. It wasn’t until I laid on the floor with him that he calmed down and fell asleep.

Does he have anxiety? Is he bored? Is there a way to tell if the dog is in pain or stressed vs just wanting attention? If hes just bored or is looking to be pet, I want to nip this in the bud IMMEDIATELY...but if something is actually causing him to act this way, I dont want to ignore it.

2. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Is he from a greyhound rescue place? If so, they will be best placed to advise.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice