Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Retained tooth

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by considerthis, Oct 11, 2013.

1. considerthis

considerthis PetForums Member

Ok my pup has a retained canine tooth. He is 5 and a half months old but over the last 4 weeks he's been shedding baby teeth like crazy, and most of his big teeth are sprouting, the vet has alerted me that One of his upper canines hasn't erupted and in fact doesn't seem to be anywhere near the surface of the gum.

They were pushing for me to get him in for surgery. I told them I wanted to wait, as I'd rather him not go thru something like that at such a young age.

So I'm just wondering if there is a set age where all his teeth should be coming thru, or a deadline. Think he lost his last tooth nearly 2 week ago.

I really don't want him to have surgery unless it's absolutely necessary.

He is not in any pain and is happily chomping his puppy choobs that are meant to help with teething, as well as anything he can get his chompers round.

Also can anyone suggest things I can do to help him?

2. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

2 of my italian greyhounds had retained puppy fangs. One hadd them removed when he had to have an operation the other lost hers naturally but she was nearly 12 months old before it fell out.

We were told to give them plenty of things to chew on such as meaty bones and to encourage them to pull on tuggy toys to help to loosen them.

I wouldn't be in too much of a rush to have them removed under aneasthetic unless he was going in to be castrated anyway and then had it done at the same time I wouldn't go for it unless they were having planned surgery.

3. Hanlou

Hanlou PetForums VIP

I would wait. Teddy is nearly one year old but it was only vey recently that one of his puppy canines came out and he still has one - his adult canines were very slow to come through. :)

4. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Another waiter here, Tau had a retained canine on her top jaw for a good month at least when the adult tooth had fully grown. Eventually, the puppy tooth turned a grey colour and then one day was just gone.

5. Westy

Westy PetForums Senior

They were pushing for me to get him in for surgery. I told them I wanted to wait,

Good for you! It's far too early to think about that. :001_rolleyes:

Buy him a BIG RAW meaty bone from a butcher and let him chew away on that. Nothing better for getting those baby teeth moving! :D

6. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

One of mine retained his canines or incisor tooth was 7 years ago now, but if memory serves me right they were one of the last or later teeth to come out and the adults grow. At one point he had the baby tooth and the adult one a good ways down side by side, and then slowly it loosened the baby tooth and it came out.

It sounds with your though that the canine isn't making an attempt to come down at all? Maybe wait another couple of weeks and see if anything does happen and it starts to make an appearance. If the retention is stopping the other one completely though and without the removal its likely not to be able to come down at all then you might not have a choice.

7. dogkrazy

dogkrazy PetForums Senior

Our girl Holly retained a canine tooth when she was a puppy. I gave her lots of raw meaty bones and it fell out on its own when she was about seven months old. :)

8. sianrees1979

sianrees1979 PetForums VIP

daniel had his puppy fangs retained, he was 11 or 12 months when they dropped out, when i started him on chicken wings.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice