UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My 3 boys are now old enough to be neutered but we've been for their pre-op check ups and it seems that I have 2 boys with one retained testicle each :( The vets have given me the options, either wait another month or two or have the op but they would have to go in and search for them. Has anyone else experienced this? Do you think if I leave it a couple of months will they descend properly?

Thanks for looking

·
Registered
543 Posts
Our wee boy has the same :( He is a little over 5 months now and at his check up two weeks ago the vet said that it is not likely to descend now :( We have booked him in at the same time as our other kitten on 12th November (she is a month younger than him) . We are keeping our fingers crossed it does appear but not too hopeful.

I`m dreading the op already. Please let us know how you get on with your two boys

·
Registered
632 Posts
Hi there, it's very unlikely the testicles will descend fully. You could wait a few months in the hope the descend a little further making the surgery less invasive.

I waited with Bernard but his testicle was located right up by his abdomen. Of course, no two cats are the same but thought I'd add my experience.

I was also very worried before, during and after his op but he was fine so please try not to worry too much, it is a fairly common occurrence. :)

·
Registered
632 Posts
P.s. We also had a little theme tune for him at the time based around the fact he was cryptorchid - we used to sing 'crypto, crypto cat' to the tune of 'macho man'

Just thought I'd share this also!

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
My Blake had one undescended testicle whiich they diidn't discover until he was in surgery. It took him until the following evening to start to feel like himsellf but it really waasn't awful. After 2 nights he seemed just fine.

·
Registered
14,011 Posts
my boy (pet) had this problem, we waited another couple of months but in the end at 8 months old neutering was done, the vet found his testicle just under the skin but he did have stitches in his tummy.
made a full recovery and didnt notice too much.
hope all goes well with your boys.:)

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for all the replies. I'm glad I'm not the only one then :p

With the Loki being just over 5 months and Darcy coming up to 6 months old it's not too bad waiting for a little while then I presume:confused::confused: The vet we saw last wasn't willing to let Loki have the op yet as he is quite small so I guess we'll see what our usual vet thinks at the end of this month.

To those who have had kitties who have had the op can I ask a few questions?

1. How big is the incision?
2. Do they need any special care after the op?

Once again, thanks for reading

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
They shaved a lot of Blake's belly, but I think that all varies by vet. He had a little incision, which seemed to be the same as Molly's when she was spayed. He came home a little more groggy than Chaucer was (they were done the same day: Chaucer had the regular neuter, Blake had the "spay" and neuter). I think they gave him a little more in the way of pain killers. He didn't need anything special. He just wanted to sleep and be by himself the first night home, while Chaucer was close to normal. The next day, he was a little less active than Chaucer--you could tell he wanted to play, but it hurt a little. Again, just like Molly when she got spayed. Then by the evening, he was fine and other than the incision in his belly and his bald pants and belly, you'd never know he had anything done at all.

I know it's hard not to worry---I worried myself sick, especially since he'd been checked twice and had two descended testicles, but then apparently one crawled back up (I'm still puzzled about this), so they didn't even know until he was under. But he was fine as could be.

·
Registered
127 Posts
At this age the testicles are simply not going to descend so no amount of waiting will change anything. Additionally if left retained, a large majority of male cats will go on to develop abdominal cancer from the trapped teste as young adults so its always best to have them removed as soon as practicable while still a kitten. I've personally only bred one kitten who was monorchid - he was neutered at 14 weeks and petted out, and later I was sold a stud who was also monorchid - he was promptly returned to the breeder. If you are a breeder it might be worth noting in your pedigree breed notes for later, some lines may be more prone to it than others. Otherwise get them neutered soon. The incision is quite small, no more than perhaps an inch or so. They do take a little longer to recover than usual, and depending on the location of the trapped teste which the vet will have to look for may result in complications like large abscesses - which my boy did develop and will require antibiotics for. But even with that he was bouncing about by the weeks end and by the end of the following week stitches out, meds finished, and sent to his new owner without further complication. That kitten is now 6 years old and happy in his home :)

G

·
Whatever you feel, a retained testicle, can turn cancerous. Got to be done.

monorchid is one retained testicle

cryptorchid is both retained.

·
Registered
12,681 Posts
Hi all,

My 3 boys are now old enough to be neutered but we've been for their pre-op check ups and it seems that I have 2 boys with one retained testicle each :( The vets have given me the options, either wait another month or two or have the op but they would have to go in and search for them. Has anyone else experienced this? Do you think if I leave it a couple of months will they descend properly?

Thanks for looking
My boy was the same, took him in at 7 months and the vet said there was only one and to wait until after Xmas and give it time to appear and it never did. If it is there inside at the wrong temperature (meant to be outside) there is apparently a chance it will become cancerous later. SO he had it taken out, it was not a nice op, stiches top to botom and he was walking really arch-backed to take the pressure off his stitches poor babe.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know it's hard not to worry---I worried myself sick, especially since he'd been checked twice and had two descended testicles, but then apparently one crawled back up (I'm still puzzled about this), so they didn't even know until he was under. But he was fine as could be.
Thank you for your very helpful reply, I guess I am just worrying since I;d be getting all 3 done at the same time :001_unsure: Must say though, the quote above did almost result in my laptop being covered in my cherryade :p

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
At this age the testicles are simply not going to descend so no amount of waiting will change anything. Additionally if left retained, a large majority of male cats will go on to develop abdominal cancer from the trapped teste as young adults so its always best to have them removed as soon as practicable while still a kitten. I've personally only bred one kitten who was monorchid - he was neutered at 14 weeks and petted out, and later I was sold a stud who was also monorchid - he was promptly returned to the breeder. If you are a breeder it might be worth noting in your pedigree breed notes for later, some lines may be more prone to it than others. Otherwise get them neutered soon. The incision is quite small, no more than perhaps an inch or so. They do take a little longer to recover than usual, and depending on the location of the trapped teste which the vet will have to look for may result in complications like large abscesses - which my boy did develop and will require antibiotics for. But even with that he was bouncing about by the weeks end and by the end of the following week stitches out, meds finished, and sent to his new owner without further complication. That kitten is now 6 years old and happy in his home :)
Thank you for replying, dont worry I'll be making sure that all the boys are neutered in the next couple of months the vets are just unwilling to operate atm because Loki is smaller than he should be, even though he's a MC cross

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Whatever you feel, a retained testicle, can turn cancerous. Got to be done.

monorchid is one retained testicle

cryptorchid is both retained.
No worries there, they will definitely have the op in the next few months, I just need the vets ok for the op since Loki is smaller than he should be

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
My boy was the same, took him in at 7 months and the vet said there was only one and to wait until after Xmas and give it time to appear and it never did. If it is there inside at the wrong temperature (meant to be outside) there is apparently a chance it will become cancerous later. SO he had it taken out, it was not a nice op, stiches top to botom and he was walking really arch-backed to take the pressure off his stitches poor babe.
Thanks for the reply, can I ask, did he need cage rest at all??

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.