Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Result!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by EmzieAngel, Jul 4, 2009.

1. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

Well a lot of you know about Bailey being a nuisance on a walk.
    My mum was talking to a guy up the road who is fostering a guide dog, who is going to be having puppies soon and was told she did the same thing as Bailey, wanting to go where she wants.
    He advised a half check collar. I know many people don't agree with these, however, I already had one from when I had my previous dog Harvey.
    I've just tried it out on Bailey and kept being firm with him and he walked perfectly. I managed to walk him all the way up this long road that I never used to be able to get him up.
    I'm really quite proud and a little happier as it was stressing me out quite a bit.
    So hopefully with a lot of perserverance (sp?) we'll soon be making progress.
    x

2. Deb

Deb PetForums Senior

I have just went to get one today for my border collie but when i got it home it was too big for her so will have to take it back but feel positive about it after your post. Have also bought a chain lead to try to stop her jumping and biting the lead when she wants off

3. rona

rona Guest

That's great, hope it continues to work :)

4. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

Aww bless, I have a chain lead also and it has stopped Bailey chewing all my leads now :)
    Good luck :)

5. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

Thank you rona :)

6. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

If something works why change it? I'm glad Bailey is doing well

7. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

Thank you Nicky :)
    x

8. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

I hope no one minds, but I'm gonna keep updating with the progress we are making, or with the struggles too lol.

Well yesterday was really hard, Bailey really wasn't having any of it, he really fought to get out of the half check collar. I kept calm, told him to sit and waited for a few seconds for him to calm down, then tried to get him to move again being as firm as possible, he once again fought and then after about a minute he just gave up and followed me. I praised him, then after that in the usual places we have trouble, he just didn't bother.

This morning was better than yesterday, he fought a little bit, but not as much as yesterday and gave up really quickly. He did this a few times a long the way as I had changed the route, as I know I'll have to take him to many of the places he starts being trouble to teach him he has to go where I want him to go. So although there were a few struggles along the way, he had a 45 minute walk going only where I wanted to go. :)

9. rona

rona Guest

That's really good, does he still seemed frightened or has he just got into the habit of playing up?
    Nobody will mind at all about updates, I would love it if more people did this, it's good to here if the methods tried have worked or not.
    That's how we all learn :)

10. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

No, he doesn't seem frightened anymore, just a case of, "I'm going where I want to go" though he is still scared of the trolley, but we have one ourselves and he is getting better each day.

Thanks Rona and glad to see you back, is everything ok now?
    x

11. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Hi that's really good I'm glad you are getting on much better with bailey :)

x

12. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

Thank you :)
    x

13. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

UPDATE!

Well the past few days I've been struggling a bit, it's been really hard.
    However, we had a wonderful walk this morning, with me only having to check once.
    But I was having a good chat with Portia last night and she suggested changing directions, just a bit like people do when training their dog to stop pulling.

So I've just been out for half an hour or so walking up and down different streets at various different lengths, for example, going down one street, then turning back, but only going half way. As well as that, I did a lot of crossing over as well, as we do have trouble with that if he doesn't want to go.

Well I have to say, it really was a success, he responded really well to it and now he's absolutely shattered.

14. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

Update! Not that anyone's reading :( lol.

I took Bailey for a walk this morning and had no problems at all.
    I was quite surprised as I took him to other places where he usually plays up, but he was fine all the way round :)

15. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Great news and really shows what you can do with the correct tools/attitude and determination!

Why don't you try a doggie back pack? They are only 12.00GBP from ebay and they give the dog a job to do. It was the thing which really helped with my latest rescue. x

16. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

Ohh what is it? I've never heard of one?
    x

17. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

18. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

I haven't updated for over a week now.

And I'm really happy to tell you all that we are making lots of progress.

The past 4 days, Bailey has walked with no problems (no pulling me back) in the usual spots he decides to do it. I'm really starting to enjoy walks with him again :)

I also successfully managed to coax him to walk behind a trolley and he got a lot of praise. I'm so proud of him :)

x

19. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

Thanks for linking me.
    I didn't see that you'd replied.

I might just think about buying one :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice