Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Restraining order may be required!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by daveandbella, Aug 27, 2013.

1. daveandbella

daveandbella PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone

We have a 1 year old collie/lab cross who is absolutely lovely. As with any pup she can be a little too friendly at times but we are starting to see good results with her not jumping up as much.

The main problem we really have is with me. She is totally obsessed with me which in a lot of ways is lovely but also causes her stress. In the evenings she will try 25 times to climb up onto my lap when sat on the sofa (even though we would prefer her to not be up there), she has a panic attack if we are out as a family and I nip to the toilet and goes a bit bonkers when I leave for work.

The main issue around this is that if I go out without her she stresses and chews stuff - toys, my wife's shoes.... She never does it when I am at home.

There is no fixed routine of when she comes out with me - sometimes she comes to work, other days I cycle in - sometimes we will take her out if we are going, sometimes we can't for whatever reason.

I am therefore seeking a bit of advice to calm her worries about not being near me as I don't think it is healthy for her, me or the family!

Thanks

2. CarlyWoody

CarlyWoody PetForums Member

There is a fantastic sticky in the health and behaviour section called how to help a dog with separation anxiety - I always forget how to post links here :eek:
    Read that. But someone nicer and more knowledgeable should be around shortly.
    How often/much is she walked? Can you get a walker in for the days that she's left at home?
    Oh and everyone loves a photo of cute dogs!

3. shirleystarr

shirleystarr PetForums VIP

maybe its because you don't have a set routine some dogs get separation anxiety Do you take her to training classes ?
    That would be the first thing I did and I would let your wife go with you and do most of the work with the dog
    When she gets on the settee put her down with a firm NO and keep repeating it as if she gets away with it a couple of times its going to continue
    who feeds her ..... grooms her and does other things with her If its only you that's when you need to let your wife take over those jobs.

4. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

It may be more of a case of just putting distance between you and her and letting someone take over the jobs.

#4 SLB, Aug 27, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  5. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

The sticky is in the training and behaviour section, not health and nutrition :) http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-training-behaviour/112552-how-help-dog-separation-anxiety.html

If you're able to take her with you most of the time that helps as dealing with separation anxiety involves building up from the dog being left for mere seconds to the dog being left for longer periods. Which makes it very difficult for a lot of people to work on as they have no choice but to go out and leave the dog in order to go to work and stuff.

6. CarlyWoody

CarlyWoody PetForums Member

:eek: sorry!
    too short - still sorry!

7. daveandbella

Thanks for your reply Carly - she is usually walked twice a day and both times are off lead down by our local river. We also have a large garden and kids at the home at the moment so she gets lots of time out there! When I say left at home - I just mean by me. My wife and kids are there when I'm not so she still has company.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153136816770405&l=b09aafb25a

8. daveandbella

Thanks everyone - yes it is primarily me who walks, feeds and grooms her. Will take a look at the post.

Thanks again

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice