Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Restraining Dog in Small Car.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by myfourleggedcuties, Jan 2, 2020.

1. myfourleggedcuties

myfourleggedcuties PetForums Newbie

My dog has always been put in a crate in the car from being a puppy, I find that it gives him room to lie down comfortably but remain safe at the same time. I have just gotten a new car which is very small in comparison to my larger car, which his crate is in. I can fit his crate into the smaller car however I have to fold the back seats down, which is not ideal. The car is a vauxhall viva and my dog is a small-medium breed of dog (cavachon). He has plenty of room in his current crate so I could potentially down size. However I was just wondering what methods everyone uses for restraining dogs in small cars or if anyone knows of any crates that will fit a small car. He is often in the car and for long periods of time so it needs to be something long term and safe.

2. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Depending on the size of the crate would it be worth trying it actually on the back seats? My car is a 3-door hatchback and I put my (60x40) crate on the back seat. Unless your cavachon is huge compared to purebred Cavalier and Bichon sized dogs that should be a suitable size (I initially thought you were meaning a bigger dog until I got to the crossbreed name) :)

kimthecat and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. Beth78

Beth78 PetForums VIP

I just use a doggy seatbelt attatched to my dogs harness, also have a seat cover (Battersea) that can be removed if necessary so the seats don't get muddy.

With my dads smaller hatchback she goes in the boot with a dog grill.

4. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

I've got a Suzuki Swift called Noddy because it's so small. The only place my two can sit is on the back seat because although there's room in the boot for them the only way I could get them in and out is to pick them up. I bought seat belt adapters which attach to the ring on the back of their harness. It allows them to stand up, sit and lie down but isn't long enough for them to climb down into the foot well or front of the car.

I bought mine from Julius K9 but I think most pet shops sell them.

https://shop.julius-k9.com/en/harne...seat-belt-adapter-for-dog-harnesses-4223.html

5. myfourleggedcuties

He is huge compared to most purebred Cavaliers and Bichons! So I don't think he would fit in a crate small enough to go on the back seat but thank you for the suggestion!

6. myfourleggedcuties

Think it might be worth trying that with him! Thank you for the suggestion!

7. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

I'm another that uses a doggy seatbelt.

margy and Happy Paws2 like this.
  8. DanWalkersmum

DanWalkersmum watching the world go by

Doggy seat belt attachment onto harness and a protective mat on seat. If we are going on a longer journey OH usually sits in the back with him too.

margy likes this.
  9. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Another one for doggy seat beats, both Dillon and Amber wore them, Amber went to the South of France wearing one, on many holidays.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice