UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm a relative novice at fishkeeping and previous kept a tank for 5 years without too much drama. It all went wrong after I bought some very boring looking algea eaters from Pets at Home. They had an infection and killed all my fish and died themselves. Then my wife brought a baby girl into the world and I've left the tank empty for obvious reasons.

I'd like to start up again but read a guide in an aquatics book and they recommend using laterite. I looked into it a little and read contradictory advice, so I thought I would ask someone.

I'm also wondering whether to stay with tropicals or switch to coldwater fish, but have no idea of the pros and cons. I did hear they are messier so I would need more frequent water changes. Is that true?

Aside from laterite is there any other kit you would recommend. I have the standard filter and heater that came with the jewel and an air stone.

A key element for me is ease of maintenance, as I've now got a very busy and helpful three year old.

Finally, are the filters re-usable or do I need fresh ones? The tank is dry with just gravel. I intend to empty it, wash the gravel and clean the glass inside with warm water and a new (unused) soft green washing up scourer.
Then maybe add laterite, then gravel on top, then plant it out and leave water for a few weeks. Then when I've happy with the plants, add some fish. If I stay tropical I think 12 max. If coldwater, three or four tops.
Oh and to be pro-active this time and not panic when I come home to see fish gasping at the surface because nitrate is too high, I'm going for the Seneye monitor to warn me early ;).

Any thoughts on the plan?

thanks in advance,

Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks Naomi. I missed the replies because I haven't had chance to login and didn't get any forum email...

Anyway, I thought 4 fish was about right. I didn't know common goldfish grow that big though!

I've bitten the bullet and started. Cleaning the gravel and tank took several hours and I missed Rylan singing on X-factor too - gutted ;).

I will look into the fishless cycle and stock some plants before I get any fish as you suggested. I've not heard of temperate fish but that sounds like a great idea too :).

Thanks for your advice.

Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Holly,

Yes, just looked. They've updated their site and they do indeed sell the slide for £6 a month. Not very attractive of them. I was just looking for something to help avoid nitrate loading. When I first started about 6 years ago i struggled with the balancing act of fish/plants/oxgyen. I seemed to be forever doing emergency water changes. I never lost a fish through that mind. I only lost them through infection, and the occasionally eating smaller fry.

I have decided to get better planting first and also got a bubble counter thing. I gave up on getting laterite as it seems hard to find anyway.

Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your replies all. One thing I forgot to mention is snails. I bought plants from mail order before because Pets at Home have only about 4 types :D. The plants were fine but they always came with "friends" - snails.
The worst time was the time they bred and I refused to resort to poison as I'd only just got the balance right, but I thought I was never going to stop scooping them out of the tank!!

I want decent plants. What do I do to stop snail infestations besides wash them plants gently before planting?

Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Naomi,

There were hundreds of snails, so it got a bit much. I like the idea of assasin snails. I'll try that if I get a repeat.

I've got a few plants now after dragging my other half around two local aquarium shops in rather dodgy areas around Heathrow. The first was totally disinterterested and seemed put out at having to stop faffing around on her phone to serve me. She seemed like a miserable version of a Tim Burton film. The second was a lot more helpful.

I did test my tap water when I very first started and it was OK-ish. I'll test again to be on the safe side. I prefer to avoid chemicals as much as I can, but even more now I've got a very busy 3yr old.

The bad news is the light hood worked briefly then I heard a thud and a sizzle and it went dark, so I'm going to try an LED strip instead and see if it's any good. I don't want to spend £90 on a new hood if I can avoid it!

thanks again,

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.