Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rest in peace our little man

Discussion in 'Rainbow Bridge' started by Alexandria, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Alexandria

Alexandria PetForums Junior

Hello all and massive post alert. I haven't been a regular on here in years but I'm back and finding comfort in some of the lovely posts, and also help in moving forward while we prepare to welcome another dog into our lives.
    This site offered me so much advice years ago when we became the proud owners of our Dachshund, koji.
    He was so nervous when we first got him at 12 weeks old in October 2014. He took 2 days to come out of his crate and I won him round by hand feeding him and building his confidence around us. He used to stop outside the gate on walks because he didn't want to go out. Fast forward 12 months and he was happy go lucky, loved his walks and responded so well to training I could of walked him anywhere off lead had I have chose too. He remained wary of strangers but thats daxies for you!
    Unfortunately a week into December his back legs went suddenly and it was the dreaded Degenerative Disc Disease. We were referred to a vet surgeon the following morning and they operated that day. The surgery was a success and he was home in 2 days. We continued Physio 4 times a day, I had to empty his bladder for him 4 times a day, which I became a pro at! Then after a couple of days he seemed to go 'off'. He was lethargic and wasn't eating much and he lived for food. We phoned the vets and they said not to worry and it's most likely all the painkillers and advised to reduce them. Despite this the next day he was worse. He wouldn't even stand on his front legs and his eyes were glazed. He didn't even respond to anyone around him. So the vet surgeon told us to take him back up and they would check him out. The first vet was at a loss as to what was going on when she checked his abs. His temp was down and his front legs didn't respond to pain. She called in the head vet and it was all of a sudden an emergency. He queried Meningitis and got him admitted for emergency tests and treatment. We said goodbye and gave him a snuggle and a kiss before he went under aesthetic and stayed for a few hours while he had the investigations. Once he was stable we left. I phoned at 10:30pm to see how he was and he was comfortable. At 11:30 the surgeon phoned me and told me he'd just passed away. We are so devastated and the sudden loss. He was only 4. Our 7 year old and 2 year old miss him so much. He's left a massive hole in our lives.
    I feel I am babbling on here but I feel I needed to share with those who understand and have or are going through the grief process.

2. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

How awful for you; such a young boy. You couldn't have done more for him. RIP Koji, you were very much loved.

Alexandria likes this.
  3. Puddy2shoes

Puddy2shoes PetForums Member

What an amazing pet owner you sound, you have lost you dear Koji at such a young age but he must have been showered every day in the abundance of love that you had for him, and always will, the two you still have of course will miss him and be confused by his absence but the amount of love you have for them will eventually see them through this painful time.....all the very best to you Alexandria and try to remember to look after yourself as well as your beloved pets through this sad period of your life.....

Alexandria likes this.
  4. ttaylor45

ttaylor45 PetForums Member

I am so sorry to read your story I know exactly how you feel as I lost my two toy poodles last year Rusty on the 10th May 2018 and Pepe on the 8th November 2018, I miss them like crazy as I had them from puppies. I was lucky enough to have Rusty until he was 13 and a half but Pepe was only 12 and a quarter and had suffered anaemia followed by kidney disease cataracts and glaucoma in both eyes which left him virtually blind. I feel at the moment as though I will never get over losing them I miss them so much. My thoughts are with you too at this very sad time.

Alexandria likes this.
  5. Alexandria

Thank you all so much. We have just got his ashes back last week and they are next to our bed, by the radiator in his favourite spot. We were going to scatter them but now I’m not sure, we will keep them for a while to decide. We also got a lovely card and had a paw print done before his cremation. I’m going to have a silver locket engraved with it on.

6. Alexandria

That must be awful to lose two so close together, even more of a void left behind. It’s so hard, so sorry for your loss.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice