Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

~*Rest in Peace my special boy Felix*~

Discussion in 'Rainbow Bridge' started by xXhayleyroxX, Aug 13, 2012.

1. xXhayleyroxX

xXhayleyroxX PetForums Senior

Last night at about 1am, my special much-loved rat Felix *who was 1 & a half* died next to me, all snuggled up on the sofa. Flissy-rat (his nickname along-side Kitten-rat because of his very sweet ears and large size)was diagosed with diabetes a week and a half ago, which is very rare and almost unheard of in rats. We had always wondered why our adoreable little boy was twice the size of his brothers and so calm in nature, common with this disease. We knew this day was coming, as strokes and heart-attacks are all too common in these special rats, but never would have thought the rat having fun, swinging playfully in his hammock with bright alert eyes would go so quickly. I have spent the weekend nursing him, only leaving his side when I had to and it breaks my heart to say goodbye to my baby.I think perhaps we will get clay today to make moulds of his feet to construct a glass necklace of his feet as we did with another fur-baby who was special and went too soon.

After a lot of crap from member's here, I stand by my decision to not take him to emergency vets as it would have stressed him out, and he was eating, drinking, aware of his surroundings and shuffling about to his last hours. He was comfy, and hadn't lost the spark from his eyes. After many bad experiences with the emergency vets, he was due to see our vet today. Even if he had pulled through, he would face a very miserable life ahead due to his diabetes, and would have suffered a similar fate again.

Lots of photos of my babie's last day were taken but this is my favourite:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Baby Felix:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With his brothers (far right)
    [​IMG]

I promised that baby rat I'd do everything for him, and despite what anyone else has to say, I know I did.
    Miss you Felix, love you forever and always <3

2. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

I am so sorry for your loss of Felix.
    Hope the Lovely pictures you have of him and his Happy memories of him will help you through.
    I like the idea of the clay moulds of his feet and making into glass Jewellery.

How you treated him in his last Days were the right thing to do.
    Being his Mum you knew what was best for him.

R.I.P Felix ans scamper freely at Rainbow Bridge xx

3. xXhayleyroxX

xXhayleyroxX PetForums Senior

Thank you for your kind words, means a lot xxxxx

4. katie200

katie200 PetForums VIP

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((Massive Hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))) RIP Felix you are a special rat and very cute.

Sorry for your loss Hun.

5. Paddyheth

Paddyheth PetForums Newbie

Sorry for your loss.
    You did what you thought was right and thats all that matters.

6. coral.

coral. PetForums VIP

im so sorry for your loss!
    and what a beautiful boy Felix was!

RIP little man have fun over at rainbow bridge!
    (((((((((hugs)))))))))

7. Sampuppy

Sampuppy PetForums VIP

Sorry for your loss - run free Felix x

8. monkeymummy32

monkeymummy32 PetForums VIP

So sorry for your loss. Run free sweet Felix xxx

9. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

Hayley im so sorry to read you lost your beloved Felix, he looked a little sweetheart:(, i too had to make a similar decision with Daisy one of my hammies, she had pyo but the only vet i trusted to operate, infact the only one i knew that would operate on an old hammy, was off on a long holiday, so i took the decision to treat her with baytril knowing her chances wernt good rather than try a vet elsewhere, by the time my vet returned she was too poorly to put through any op, so i let her be pts...we can only do what we think is best for our pets at the time, & knowing how kind you are and how much your pets mean to you ,i know that you did what you thought was right for Felix....really hope youre okay Hayley xxx

Scamper free little fella xxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice