Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Responsible Chihuahua breeding

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Tigerneko, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

thought i'd post this on here cos it's more likely to be seen here than in the breeding section, so...

a friend has a chihuahua pup (which they got a couple of months ago and still haven't received the pedigree for because the breeder is fobbing them off.... I smell a scam and a BYB :rolleyes:) and now they are planning on getting another chi pup to breed with their current one. They are not in my eyes responsible pet owners - they've had more animals in the last couple of years than i've had hot meals!

So, now they're intent on breeding chihuahua's I thought i'd ask you people for your advice, because I won't be able to talk them out of it so I might as well try and help them to breed responsibly :rolleyes: so here's a few questions:

1. What health tests will need to be done on dog/bitch? I'd imagine eyes are a biggy with chihuahua's and maybe hips/arthritis? My friend seems to think they can just buy a female chi and stick her with their male, I don't think she's given health testing a single thought.

2. Do they usually need c-sections or are there any other common implications of chihuahua pregnancies?

3. What size litters do they usually have? I'd imagine being such a small breed they'd only have small litters, so this may put her off (all she's interested in is £'s)

4. How much will the pups be worth if the father has no pedigree? This may be the biggest put-off to them because I think she's only bothered about the money - she's certainly not interested in bettering the breed or contributing anything positive to it.

5. If she just kept the male and used him for stud, would she gain any money out of that? Again, I think she is just seeing £ signs so it may be worthwhile mentioning that she could just use him for stud - that way she gets her bloomin money without the mess, expense and complications of owning the bitch too.

I don't think she's an evil person.... she probably does mean well and just doesn't realise what has to go into breeding, but I just worry that as soon as they've had a litter, they will either not sell the pups and end up stuck with a litter (which will just go to rescue or be given away to the first people they see :nonod:) or she will realise that it is all too difficult and will decide to get rid of both dog and bitch :nonod: because that is how they seem to operate, no dog lasts more than 6 months in their house.

I'd be so grateful if anyone could answer even a couple of these questions because I know I won't stop them from breeding, so i might as well try and help them to do it properly.

#1 Tigerneko, Aug 3, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  2. Boston

Boston PetForums Member

answer to question number
    1. there is no real health tests done for the chihuahua breed but i get mine checked for luxating patella and they offen have heart problems as they get older so i do have my breeding chihuahua heart tested also.

2. Quite a few chihuahuas have c sections as the pups have big heads so its best to have a big female and a small male when breeding also watch inertia.

3. Litter sizes tend to be 2-5 pups if you lucky i know a few people who have ended up with just the 1 pup from a mating

4. With no pedigree or kennel club papers with the credit crunch only around 500.00 id say.

5. In the chihuahua breed stud fees are not a lot of money even less for unproven males for an unproven male around 50.00/70.00 if he was kc reg and shown well in the ring stud fee around the 150.00 maybe 200.00 at the max.
    Hope that helps

3. Dundee

Dundee Banned

Did she mean well by all the other dogs she's had?!!! :mad: :nonod:

4. Nicci

Nicci Guest

I know very little about Chi's have heard they do infact need c-sections in most cases as litter sizes can be very small resulting in big puppies..

Going by the prices in my local rag (Just had hubby looking) as Chi's with no paperwork are often advertised the price ranges from £200 - £400.

My advice to this lady is to not breed at all as she hasn't got the welfare of the breed at heart, as for studding she will be very lucky to make any money at all where studding her dog is concerned purely because of the fact it hasn't got any papers, can't be shown etc...
    The only people interested in her dog would be those looking to crossbreed it with something stupid, plus the first time you decide to put your dog to stud is for purposes of proving him only, so no money there unfortunately.

Also as a stud dog owner she has an obligation to any progeny produced from her dog, so it may be worth mentioning she could more than likely end up in a mess doing things that way ;)

#4 Nicci, Aug 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2009
  5. davehyde

davehyde Banned

this is what really annoys me, and why you all hate me.

that person is the epitomy of an idiotic dog owner seeped in ignorance and selfishness.

breed????????????

she needs the dog taking off her and banned from owning even a goldfish.

a compete and utter fool.

kayz likes this.
  6. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

My best advice would be to tell her to research it all her self...I might sounds harsh but i am not willing to sit here and support some one that is going to breed for ££££ never have and never will...:( :mad:

It doesnt sound like she means well to me :( and if she doesnt know what has to go into breeding she shouldnt even be thinking about it imo...

Also every single one of the questions are related to money one way or another...what they will gain or what they will need to spend out!! :( :mad:

#6 DevilDogz, Aug 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2009
  7. Snoringbear

Snoringbear PetForums VIP

agreed. nothing to add.

8. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

Brilliant post!!

9. kirksandallchins

kirksandallchins PetForums VIP

I have to say I agree, but doubtless the owner will go ahead anyway despite all the advice given.

10. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

Thankyou everyone for your replies :) I didn't think I was gonna get any :blushing:

That is what i'm trying to get at with all the money related questions - I think that is all they're thinking about and I wish to god they wouldn't breed, but she's been talking about it since she got the male pup and she seems quite serious. I can understand why you don't want to answer, but I am the opposite. I can't stand by and watch someone breed irresponsibly when I can post on here and get help from people who know what they're talking about so that I can in turn pass that on to her in the hope that she uses it to the advantage of the dog, bitch and the puppies.

I am not supporting her in any way - I am against her breeding more than anyone else on here (I know what they are like with their animals - it's one in and one out... or in the case of the last dogs, two in, two out and another two in :rolleyes:) but unforuntately I am not going to be able to talk her out of breeding so why should I not try to help make the best of a bad situation?

And when I say she means well, I mean she's not out there to purposely rip people off with badly bred puppies, I think it's just an idea she's got into her head and hasn't thought of the technicalities. But still, i'm not sticking up for her or anything, I do not want her to breed at all and i'm praying her plan never actually materialises :(

She is just another one of these silly people breeding for money, but I doubt she would put her dog to another breed.... I think she is just thinking of buying another chi pup and just breeding with her (although you never know, I wouldn't put it completely past her to 'branch out' to other breeds :()

There is no way I think she should be breeding and trust me, I am very angry and very disappointed that it's happening, and I really do wish I could just go round there and take all their animals :nonod: in the last year, they've had 6 different dogs which have all either mysteriously 'died' or vanished or sent back to the rescue.... it's ridiculous and I hate that there's nothing I can do so I am just trying to help where I can :(

And Dave, I completely agree with your post.

11. Dundee

Dundee Banned

The problem is this - it's irrelevant how she goes about it, it will never be responsible breeding. It is highly likely that she has bought poor quality puppy farmed/byb puppies - whatever advice anyone gives, it will be irresponsible breeding from them.

1 person likes this.
  12. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

Well good on you for trying to help because its bettet than i could do..I see where your coming from and i think its great that you are going to try and help..

But the way i see it is that no matter how this litter is breed money is the only reason for it happening so to me that is irresponisble..

And by answering them questions i would feel i was supporting something i am so against..Some may think i am over the top but i dont feel like that..Breeding irresponible is something i detest more than anything...
    They way you have described these people is that there "pets" are just "money making machines"...
    It just makes me so angry and im not saying that you are supporting her i really am not..

I shall just say a few things to you..to pass on to them!!

She needs to get on to the chihuahua breed club and have a chat with them about all the relevant health tests that are need.

Getting the book of the bitch and reading it from front to back 10 times over..

The puppies will be worth less due to the father having no papers and she is unlikely to find a serious puppy buyer imo....because most people like to know where the puppies are from and like both parents KC reged imo..

I am not sure about size of litters and the complications as its a breed i have never had anything to do with...I would suggest she got a mentor who is someone in the same breed but i doubt anyone would be willing to support her because of the ways this is being done!!!

The father has no pedigree so by that i guess you mean is not KC reged!? if so then she wont make much money studding him out...and it will only be BYB and Puppy famers that would be intrested in using him!

:(:(:(:(

#12 DevilDogz, Aug 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2009
  13. Dundee

Dundee Banned

Given that 6 dogs have gone through their hands in the last year I doubt very much whether she will even get to the stage of keeping this puppy, and the one she plans to buy in, long enough to breed from them. I'm sorry, but idiots like this you cannot help. She will be better off stewing in her own juice. Yes, the dogs may suffer, but haven't the six that she's had in the past year already suffered too? I honestly wouldn't like to say on a public forum (I'd be banned) what I think of this sort of person, but I certainly couldn't have them as a friend.

14. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

I definately don't think she got him from a responsible breeder. She decided she wanted a Chihuahua one day, and then literally two days later, they came home with one, so that indicates to me that she put no thought into where the pup came from, she never said anything about a home check (and if I was a breeder, I wouldn't rehome a pup to her because of her personal circumstances) and they've had the pup for a couple of months now and still no sign of the papers (she said something about the breeder going on holiday) although sometimes it all turns out okay with papers and stuff, but this just reminds me too much of the threads we see on here quite often about 'missing' paperwork, and I have warned her of that but she doesn't seem to think it'll make a difference. So, the pup may be KC registered, but she's just said she hasn't had the papers through yet.... although I don't think she's made much effort to get them, which if you were buying a pup with the intention of breeding properly then the papers would be extremely important to you.

I just hope that her plan doesn't come to light :(

They treat animals like disposeables, even their kids don't seem to care when their dog disappears because they're just so used to it happening :nonod:

I will try my best to talk her out of breeding but I think she's got her mind set on it :(

15. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

Some people should'nt have pet's it makes me sick :mad:...She needs her dogs taken off her...Poor little things..what will she do have a litter then re-home mum and get in a new dog to have a litter from..imo this person is simply a BYB and nothing more...:mad:

16. Dundee

Dundee Banned

Well, I wish you luck.

I can tell you with certainty that this won't be a nicely bred pup and it is highly unlikely to have any papers. A KC registered chi would cost a minimum of £1000 - does she have this sort of money. There is a huge waiting list for well bred puppies so there is no way she would have been able to get one so quickly. Any kc papers from a decent breeder will be endorsed to prevent them from being bred from.... If she does end up with any papers (I think it's unlikely) it will probably be just a pedigree (meaningless) and something like Dog Lovers Registration. I mean - it doesn't really bear thinking about.

Just to add, one of the reasons why chis are so expensive is they have very small litters, only one or two and there is a high likelihood of a c-section being required, which can cost £1000s. A friend recently had to have one done, and it wasn't out of hours, and it cost £900.

17. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

in a way, I hope she doesn't keep this puppy because it'll hopefully stop her from having a litter :( but then the whole situation will start again a few weeks later when they bring the next poor dog home :nonod:

18. Nicci

Nicci Guest

It's very unlikely taking into account the information that you have already given regarding this person, that most of the advice offered via the forum and then onto them, will be listened to anyway, it will more than likely fall on very deaf ears.

My advice is, let them create their own mess and don't become a part of it folk like this shouldn't be in charge of a goldfish never mind a dog :(

19. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

i'm interested in what is going to happen with the papers, i'll ask her again in a couple of weeks and see if there's been any developments with them. But after what you've said, i'm even more sure she won't have had the pup from a decent breeder. I think he was about 14 weeks when she bought him too, so perhaps he's an unsold pup from a poor litter, or a puppy that was sent back to the breeder for whatever reason.... I don't know if I really want to know where she got him from, i'm angry enough with this situation LOL :nonod:

20. clueless

clueless Banned

Hey I do not hate ya and I agree with ya. Also imo there is nothing worse than seeing a sub standard looking Chi. Some are so big and look nothing like Chi's, more like JR

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice