Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Respect to non-dog owners/people.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Horse and Hound, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Horse and Hound

Horse and Hound PetForums VIP

I've seen a number of threads springing up on here recently about how annoying people find it when people without dogs say or pass comment and that they should show dogs respect, but how many people on here do it the other way round?

I'm constantly reprimanding my dogs for jumping up at people, and they are learning not to do it. I also if I see people jogging or on bikes call them to me and make them sit until they are past, and if there's a group with children I also call my dogs back as well and wait.

For me, I find it a 2 way thing. Why should I expect everyone we meet out walking to like or accept my dog pawing at them? I don't like it when someone's kid comes and pets my dog without asking, I always tell them that mine are fine but they should be careful and always ask in future. So why should I expect anything different when the tables are turned?

Just wondered as I do meet some people with dogs that seem to think they have right over everyone/everything...and it gets on my wick!

2. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

It is absolutely a two way thing. I object to my dog pestering anyone as much as I object to people's unwanted comments towards us.

I make sure we leave them alone, no jumping up or approaching unless the people are inviting us to. I step off the pavement to give them a wide berth if they look uncomfortable about us passing or stop where it is wider to let them pass if we are in town. I am always conscious that some people just do not like dogs and would hate to impose on them.

3. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I agree completely. I don't let Kenzie bother people unless they want her to go over to them and while she does sometimes still jump up I try very hard to get her to not do that, and always apologise if she does.

My recent thread is probably one of the ones you are referring to - I thought it was interesting that my friend thought that normal puppy behaviour was 'naughty'. I know this friend doesn't particularly like dogs, so I made sure that Kenzie didn't bother him (and she didn't).

I totally understand what you are saying and agree that there are a lot of people out there like this. I do think though that most people on this forum have respect for others :)

4. Mumbles

Mumbles PetForums Senior

I also call my dog to me when joggers are going past or bikers etc, but what annoys me is when some bikers creep up behind you without using their bell then tut and make comments when the dog runs in front of them, if they used the bell i would have called him to me.

But agree unless the person i see ahead of me has a dog off the lead i will always call him to me until they are passed.

5. SixStar

SixStar Banned

I agree, it's a two way thing.

I don't want people coming up to my dogs without asking, so they don't go up to other people without them saying it's ok to do so (even if it's another dog owner) etc.

If dog owners want respect for them and their dogs, then they need to give it to people who aren't quite so dog loving. I adore all dogs, but I strongly dislike it when I have other dogs come bombing up to me, jumping up etc - the others seem to think it's ok just because I have dogs with me and it really angers me.

6. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

I do the same, If someone looks uncomfortable with me walking towards them with Millie and Makita I cross the road, pull into a driveway or walk on the road (Mostly quite residential / country lanes here).

When people come around my house the dogs are away, sometimes only intialy if people dont mind them but for longer if they are not dog people. I love my dogs but I also appreciate they are exactly that, my dogs and not everyone loves them like I do :D

It is definately a two way thing. :D

7. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

I do agree. I dont expect anyone to have to put up with my dogs- but if they dont like them, they shouldn't visit me:p I wont keep them up the corner in their own house- but outside of it , thats different. Molly was a bit full on as a pup but I never took her anywhere that would annoy others, it was only to people who understood and enjoyed her antics.

8. Mese

Mese PetForums VIP

You get what you give in this life , so it makes sense to show respect to non dog owners , and hopefully thats what you will be shown in return

making sure your dogs are well mannered and behave themselves is common sense to me, and if , like me , you own one who plain wont listen (Toffee's recall when he sees another dog is rubbish) then its down to the owner to make sure that dog is unable to show up his faults (in my case Toff stays on his 30ft longline so he cant go charging off) and possibly scare or just ruin a non dog lovers day

9. SixStar

SixStar Banned

If visitors to the house don't like dogs, then tough :eek: I'm not keen on kids but don't ask people to put them away when I visit :D

We have this poem hanging just inside the front door...

MY DOGS LIVE HERE

My dogs live here, they're here to stay.
    You don't like pets? be on your way.
    They share my home, my food, my space
    This is their home, this is their place,

You will find dog hair on the floor,
    They will greet you at the door,
    They may request a little pat,
    A simple 'no' will settle that.

It gripes me when I hear you say
    'just how is it you live this way?
    They smell, they shed, they're in the way..'
    WHO ASKED YOU? is all I can say..

They love me more than anyone,
    My voice is like the rising sun,
    They merely have to hear me say
    'C'mon pups, time to go and play'

Then tails wag and faces grin,
    They bounce and hop and make a din.
    They never say 'no time for you',
    They're always there, to go and do,

And if I'm sad? they're by my side
    And if I'm mad? they circle wide
    And if I laugh, they laugh with me
    They understand, they always see,

So once again, I say to you
    Come visit me, but know this too..

My dogs live here, they're here to stay.
    You don't like pets? be on your way.
    They share my home, my food, my space
    This is their home, this is THEIR place..

1 person likes this.
  10. ukmutz

ukmutz PetForums Member

I do have my dog well trained so that he doesn't pester anyone and does come to me when called so cyclists can pass

but .... I get really angry with cyclists who do not alert you to the fact they are coming up behind you, half the time they don't even slow down when they see you have a dog. They seem to think they own the public paths and roads!!

Dogs and their owners aren't the problem arrogant cyclists are :mad: :mad:

11. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

That's a great poem!

12. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

My mom had a plaque that said
    'This house is maintained for the comfort and security of my animals-
    if you dont like it -tough':p

13. Horse and Hound

Its not hun, I've not seen that thread. I've read a few though over the past few months actually that I've seen either about neurotic parents over reacting or kids not being respectful towards dogs.

I'm also inclined if I see an Asian to pop mine on the lead as well. I know they don't like dogs down to their religion/culture and whilst I find that strange, I respect it. If someone seems uncomfy with me, I will give them a wide berth as well.

I agree with the sentiments about them visiting my house. People KNOW I have dogs and I won't tell my dogs off for climbing on a sofa because its their home, but at the same time if they are still acting like mentalists after saying hello, Harvey goes in his crate to calm down and Roo goes on his bed. 10 mins later they are good as gold.

But out and about no, I try to show respect. I accept the thing about bikes is it can be awkward sometimes without having warning, but I do try. And if a dog is infront of me on its lead, my 2 go back on theirs as well until we are past.

Glad I'm not the only one thats a stickler for it! :eek:

14. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

Dont get me wrong I understand what your saying but Makita is a 40Kg Akita PUPPY, which even some dog owners would be weary of.

I loooove my dogs more than anything in the world but I also want friends and the family to feel comfortable in my home. A number of my friends have babies, I would never expect them to come into my house (invited of course) and have Makita and Millie getting excited, waiting just inside the door and playing around near them. Esepcially if they are nervous around dogs. My mum is petrified of dogs after being attacked by a GSD 3 times as a child, not matter how many time sshe has met Millie she will never like her, I got a huge compliment after her last visit 'She is ok, for a dog!' :D:D:D:D But this doesnt upset me, she is genuinely petrified! She hasnt met Makita yet :eek::D:D

They do both have the ability to lie down and chill but I appreciate he is a big dog who can easily knock a toddler or adult flying when he excited / running.

15. Horse and Hound

That is entirely your decisions and one that personally I think is bob on! I feel the same. If someone comes to my house like a decorator or work man that is bothered by them, they go into the kitchen. When friends come round they get to say hello but if they don't calm down its time out.

Some friends I have are scared of dogs, but with mine they are ok as they know they won't hurt them, doesn't mean they want them jumping up at them all the time. Same way as when I go to my friends house, I don't want her kids climbing all over me all the time, and she tells them off for doing it or when they are being pests.

What people do in their own home with their dogs with regards to this situation is their business, but out in public I do think some dog owners could do with learning a little bit more respect. Like wise non dog owners should understand that letting your kid pat a strange dog is stupid, or walking into a place where you can see/know dogs are playing then complaining when they run across your path is a little daft.

16. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Yes, sorry, I was only messing about. I know sometimes dogs do need to be put out of the way for the safety and comfort of everyone :)

Like you, I've got 2 big dogs - a 70kg Mastiff X Gt Dane and a Bernese who is like Makita, 40kg and just 10 mths old - neither has a bad bone in their bodies but I fully appreciate the fact they can be incredibly intimidating to alot of people, so they'll be popped behind the baby gate in the kitchen if needed, that way they can still see whoever is in the lounge, but they're confined safely away from people who are scared, youngsters or people they could send flying with OTT greetings :)

Aw your poor mum, she'll have a heart attack when she sees Makita :eek:

17. Honey Bee

Honey Bee PetForums VIP

The trouble is many of the cyclists just will not use their bells if they have them and have forgotten they can speak!! Yes I agree that they creep up on you and frequently frighten the Be Whatsits out of you. Most annoying and inconsiderate, especially when they are cycling illegally on the pavement. One of my friends dog's is a confirmed bike chaser so we end up neurotic by the end of the walk in the park, swivelling around to check there are none about.

There is also a jogger in our local park who thinks he owns it. He swears at anyone remotely near him and once pushed through between myself and another lady I was talking to and almost knocked her over! (he sneaked up on us). I was glad Honey was on a lead at the time. Now if I see him or any other joggers I call Honey back and put her on the lead, even though see has never had a problem. I also do this with people unless I know them.

We all just need to be considerate and respectful. :001_smile:

18. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

Lots of cyclists on our riverside walk
    I have a system,call the dogs to me, Willow in a down, Rocky in a sit, Percy in a stand. All wait until cyclists have passed by. Its good practice for them and as I'm usually walking three on my own it shows that I have control over them despite being outnumbered :001_smile:
    I get lots of comments on how well behaved they are by the passing cyclists and its very pleasing.
    Same system for runners as well.

Most people on my walks are considerate people, serious walkers, runners or dog owners. Just the odd rude one but I just have to brush it off if they dont thank me or whatever. Or the man that practically kicked Percy out the way once.:rolleyes::

#18 babycham2002, Apr 28, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  19. lucyandsandy

lucyandsandy PetForums VIP

I would never allow my dog to pester anyone or jump at them, I agree it is a two way thing even with my children I don't expect everyone to like them either! I think a lot of the time it is lack of understanding on both sides.

20. Horse and Hound

Exactly. I cycle and it pees me off when someone's dog runs in front of me so I don't allow my dogs to do it to other people. Why would I?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice