Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

resource guarding

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Claire Hale, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Claire Hale

Claire Hale PetForums Newbie

Can anyone help. I have an 18 month old clumber spaniel. He started biting quite early on. I have had several trainer out to stop the resource guarding as he can't have toys or bones. He has bitten both my husband and myself quite badly. We had a dog behaviouralist in a few weeks ago and thought we could manage him. My daughter aged 10 went to his bed in the lounge to kiss him goodnight on Sunday and he bit her on the chest broke the skin and caused bruising. The next day my friend came to pick him up to get him away. He is now snarling at them when they go near to his crate and has tried to bite but fine when not resource guarding. It has broke our hearts with him leaving and he won't settle at my friends. I can't have him back as although my daughter knew she shouldn't have gone to his bed he Still bite her. The vet says I should have him put to sleep. Is there anywhere that would take him as he a so young and could possibily be trained out of it.

2. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

What has his breeder said? If he came from a reputable breeder they should offer to take him back and assess for themselves whether it is likely he could be rehomed perhaps to an adult only home or whether he should be put to sleep.

Lurcherlad, MiffyMoo and Sproglet like this.
  3. Claire Hale

He came from a breeder who breed them as working dogs as mother and father were working. He doesn't want to know. I can't guarantee but he would be better in an adult home where they can try and retrain him. I have really tried with him, I have asked around people I know. My friend has just said he is whining something which he never does. I have thought about muzzling him when the kids are around but my friend will not give him me back as he's too unpredictable.

4. rottiepointerhouse

So your friend wants to keep him? Have you asked the behaviourist to come back and reassess the situation? What a shame the breeder doesn't want to know. The other option is to contact the Clumber Spaniel Breed Club who run a rescue and rehoming service. They will no doubt have a frank discussion with you about whether they feel it is possible to rehome him or not, perhaps in a working home with more to do he might be better (you haven't said what sort of activities you do with him). Worth a chat anyway

http://www.clumberspanielclub.org.uk/?page_id=42

Lurcherlad, MiffyMoo and lullabydream like this.
  5. Claire Hale

No she's only having him for a short period of time as he has shown aggression to them. She just wanted to get him away from kids. I have contacted climber but they can't because of his aggression. We think we may have found someone who can try and retrain him and wants to keep him so fingers crossed will know this afternoon. Thank you for helping and replying to my messages.

6. rottiepointerhouse

Good luck. I hope the new home proves to be suitable with people who know what they are doing and can give him a loving and active home.

7. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I'd be concerned at how he will be "retrained" if it hasn't worked so far.

What methods have been used in the past?

lullabydream likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice