Resource Guarding

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by ouesi, Dec 8, 2012.

1. ouesi

ouesi Wag More Bark Less

You have to intervene sooner.
    When you see a situation that might get iffy, intervene. Call him to you, diffuse the tension, change the subject if you will.
    So for example with the Spaniel was annoying him, call your dog away, shoo the spaniel away and give your own dog a break.
    If there are toys involved, watch closely, any signs of tension, call him away, diffuse, then try again.

Though ideally I wouldn't allow play/interactions between dogs when there are resources involved. I do with my own dogs who live together, but not random dogs who don't regularly share space.

2. Caroline Hart

Caroline Hart PetForums Newbie

Sorry but I'm new to this forum, and couldn't see where to post for the best!

I need some advice about resource guarding, my daughter has a cocker poo who stayed with me at the weekend, I knew he had a problem with resource guarding but I forgot as my other dogs dont and I went to take something from him and he turned on me biting my arm and growling quite viciously . My concern is how should she deal with this as she has three children and obviously they have friends come and play and it is a worry if they took something from him!

3. Girlymonkey

Girlymonkey PetForums Newbie

I think the first stage it approaching when he has something that he might guard, and from whatever distance is safe and he is still relaxed, you throw a high value treat to him (maybe cheese, a bit of steak, whatever is highly valued by him) and then you move away. Do this for a while until he is relaxed with you going right up to him with the treat (don't push it too far too quickly, just a few times per session). Then maybe reach towards the resource he is guarding while giving him the treat, then touch the guarded object etc. When you do eventually get to take the object from him, give it back again immediately with the high value treat as before. If my dog has a high value chew or bone, I periodically take it and add a smear of cream cheese to it and give it back. This keeps him assuming that if I take something then it is worthwhile for him.

kimthecat likes this.
  4. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Good advice from Girlymonkey.

When your granddaughters friends visit , your daughter needs to make sure there is nothing left lying around that he can guard .