Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Resource Guarding - rehoming necessary? ASAP

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by HJKettle, Oct 17, 2019.

1. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Do you continually check on him while he has the item though?
    If you keep approaching him, even looking at him while he has the item, he will continue to guard it, and will get more and more anxious about it, because you have a history with him of removing things despite him telling you every way he knows how not to. So he is very worried.
    I bet if you truly ignore him, he will slowly learn to stress less. And when he does walk away, and you do remove whatever the item is, make sure he doesn't see you doing it.

2. Bugsys grandma

Bugsys grandma PetForums VIP

This sounds like an awful situation for you, but even worse for little Louie.,
    I also thought you had withheld food for a couple of days. Very glad that this was not the case.
    You've had some fabulous advice from some very knowledgeable people, and I do agree that you need some professional one to one help with this.
    I won't add any other suggestions regarding the resource guarding, because I'm not terribly experienced in that area and I wouldn't have anything different to suggest anyway.
    What is clear though is that, as has already been said, Louie has lost all trust and confidence in you. If it were me, I would, alongside all the other suggestions, start working on rebuilding your relationship with him.

You say he's a real foodie, you can hopefully use this to great advantage here. Spend some time, several,times a day every day, with just Louie, shut the other dog away or do it when the other dog is maybe out on a walk or something, and start doing some very easy training with Louie, using super tasty treats as rewards, you could maybe introduce a clicker to train with, if you don't use one already.

Super simple things like sit, paw, down.
    Even though he probably knows these things already, that's the point, you are trying to rebuild his confidence, so to start with certainly, they should be commands he knows really well, that he will be able to do easily so that he easily earns that treat.
    Be generous with the treats, make sure they're super tasty and he only gets them at theses special training sessions, and be very generous with your praise too. You want him to start seeing you as someone who is fun to be around again, you are trying to build his trust in you and his confidence in himself.
    And do remember that all of these things will take time, quite possibly a LOT of time.
    Be patient and consistent.
    Good luck.

3. HJKettle

HJKettle PetForums Junior

Understood. Thanks O2.

4. HJKettle

HJKettle PetForums Junior

Great, thanks Bugsy, I really appreciate the advice.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice