UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jinny has started resource guarding. She stole another dogs ball today at the park and then attacked him when he went close. It was horrible!! She's started doing it with treats as well if the cat is near her. She went to have a drink out a water bowl and a dog went near her and she growled at her as well. It's really knocked my confidence with her. What do I do?

She's just finished her season (week 3nhalf) could this be it?

When she first started her season we went to my sisters house and she had loads of bones about. Jinny took one and when her dog came upto her she went for him aswell. I assumed it was because the bones were high value?
But a ball? She has loads of balls?

she's really good at home, she will sit and wait for her dinner until we give her the command. She will"leave" anything we ask her to. The only niggle thing is if the cat gets A treat she will try and take it.
Everyone at the park was so shocked because she's never behaved like this before, she's been going since 10 weeks old and has played with the dogs (this was anew one!) every day since apart from the last 3 weeks. She's usually very submissive and chilled.

i feel reallysad. I spent ages making sure she wouldn't resource guard as a puppy in the home but didn't think about outside.
She was attacked by a black Labrador at 12 weeks because of a ball and he bit through her ear, he has a name for himself because he's obsessed with the ball and I don't want her to be the same
Grey Wood Font Twig Electric blue

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We taught her to drop it and leave it. When we feed her we get her to sit and wait until we give the command and even then we can get her to sit half way through. We took her chews off her and then asked for paw and gave it straight back.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Taking things off her and interrupting her eating, in my opinion, are more likely to cause resource guarding than prevent it. You are teaching her that things are taken away and she has to do a task to get them back. What might be preferable to do is build trust that you aren't going to take things from her.

Our dog loves balls. So he doesn't like other dogs going near him when he is playing with them. We manage this mostly by making sure he doesn't have a ball when near other dogs. If we are in the park and are playing with a ball, we avoid other dogs, or make sure that we are holding the ball when other dogs are near.

·
Premium Member
29,540 Posts
If the other dogs belong to people you are friends with, ask if they would please leave balls and toys at home for a while so there is nothing for her to get stressed over.

Don’t take hers out either.

Ensure toys and treats (particularly bones which are high value to dogs) are not out when other dogs visit or you go to someone else’s.

As stated, the old method of giving them taking away food or objects has been seen to actually encourage resource guarding.

Dogs should be left in peace to eat.

If they have an object they shouldn’t have, assuming it’s not dangerous or likely to be damaged, just ignore and wait for them to leave it and walk away or swap it for something else.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts