Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rescues - would like to help...

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by kenla210, Jun 26, 2009.

1. kenla210

kenla210 PetForums Senior

I know lots of people on this forum are involved with rescues, and am keen to get more info on how I can help.

If my OH would let me, I would be getting a rescue as my next dog, but he point blank refuses :( maybe for number 3 ;)

It breaks my heart seeing all these poor dogs and I would be interested in helping in some way, so am looking for tips how.

I don't have a huge amount of time on my hands - 2 kids, 1 (soon to be 2) dogs and a full time job doesn't leave much time... And fostering isn't really an option (back to OH's objections and also time as these are obv. dogs which need lots of attention etc) but I reckon I could spend at least 5hours per month, and there must be something I could help out with.

By profession, I am a sales manager, good with people and persuasive in a non pushy way, also pretty good with groups of people. So was thinking maybe fundraising or home vetting???

Anyone have any tips or thoughts?? or ideas on how to get started?

JSR likes this.
  2. XbecksX

XbecksX PetForums Member

I dont know about long term, but there are lots of sponsored dog walks going on at the moment and it would be fairly easy to organise one too.

I have recently volenteered to help the elderly with walking their dogs and fostering. I know you said fostering wasnt for you but if you already have dogs, maybe you could volenteer to walk other dogs.

I always wish I could help more, but you cant help all the dogs, so I just make sure that I do the best job for my dogs and dogs around me.

3. Captain.Charisma

Captain.Charisma PetForums VIP

How about raiseing money for animal shelters/the RSCPA so they can look after more cats and dogs, and have more resources trying to find them new homes. While raiseing money also spreads the word !

4. Nicci

Nicci Guest

I wouldn't give squat to help the R.S.P.C.A they are an unworthy cause in my opinion and needlessly cause many animals suffering through being unresponsive when their help truely is needed.

P.D.S.A and BlueCross are much more worth while causes and of course your local small rescues who appreciate anything from, blankets, newspapers, old collars and leads, bags of food, they seem to appreciate the little things rather than the money side of things :)

5. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Firstly thank you for thinking about rescues. Secondly tell your hubby not all rescues have problems, 2 of my pack have been the easiest dogs in the world! ;)

Okay so here is how you can help your local rescue.

Dog walking, even an hour a week will give 2 dogs a half hour out of their kennels.

DIY and maintance, if you can use a paint brush and a screw driver then your rescue will LOVE to meet you!

Transport runs, just taking a dog to the vets for it's vaccs or neutering will save the time and money of the rescue worker.

Towels, bedding, blankets and old collars and leads are always in dire need at a rescue. Do a freecycle shout out and see what you can collect. I've recently picked up 5 dog crates that people didn't want!!

Help organise a meet and greet day at your local Pets At Home or big pet store. Have a table with literature on the rescue, pictures of the animals needing homes and of course a little collecting tin!! PAH have always been really helpful for these events.

Home checking is a fabulous thing to volunteer to do, I've been doing it for 20+ years and have met some lovely people. 2 of my closest friends I made through homechecking them (1 of them is now a rescue volunteer and upto dog number 5:D).

Fundraising yes yes yes!! If you have a talent for that I'm sure the rescue will love to hear from you!!! It's the hardest thing for a rescue to keep thinking of new and interesting ways to raise funds.

Ebay..set up a ebay 'store' where you can sell items (again freecycle is a great place to keep an eye open for goodies you can clean up and sell) for all the profit to go to the rescue. You'll be amazed what items sell!!

6. kenla210

kenla210 PetForums Senior

Some excellent ideas. I'm thinking dog walking, the fundraising/awareness or home vetting. Whilst I can do the whole painting stuff I haven't even done all the stuff I need to do with my own house yet ;)

Going to find out where my nearest rescue is and give them a call to offer assistance :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice