Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Rescues!Makes me mad!!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by ToddyxxMillie, May 20, 2010.

1. ToddyxxMillie

ToddyxxMillie PetForums Member

I would love to adopt another dog from rescues as there are so many. But why are there so many things you need to have before you are allowed! I agree big dogs do need a secure garden but they ask so much you cant have this and that! considering alot of dogs are getting PTS why are they so fussy? I wanted to adopt a rescue but wasnt allowed because i live in a Mobile home/static caravan even though i have a 15ft secure decking! And sadly the dog was PTS that i wanted as it was a very frightened JRT! My dogs are never left alone there is someone always someone here! They get walked a couple of hours a day even though both are under 7kg! And have 30 mins playtime on field i have at the back of me which include large lakes they swim in, canals etc. It really upsets me because i could offer a dog a perfect home but i cant! Im sorry to ramble but it really bugs me!

dobermum likes this.
  2. PleasantPupZ

PleasantPupZ PetForums Newbie

I understand exactly what you are saying i live in a caravan and own a dog which i bred my self we have acres of secure walks on my door step but most rescues would never consider me to adopt, how ever where i live there is a private rescue called poundpuppy, who though they do home checks which i believe it is necessary they look for homes to love and care for the dogs they have rescued. As I am a behaviourist I have joined up and i will foster dogs with problems get them into a homeable behaviour and then they move to their forever homes.

These dogs at pound puppy are rescued from kennel rescues and are on the put to sleep list, the lady who runs pound puppies rescues them from such centers and then the dogs are put into fosterhomes till for ever homes are found. It is worth searching the internet for such rescues in your local area, poundpuppy is around dorset but i now of Hessle dog rescue and Hull animal wealfare that are more practical in their rehoming of the dogs in their care, I know that is east yorkshire but its closer to your home.

I wish you luck on finding a rescue who will see that you offer a perminant and loving home to a dog that is in need for one

3. staflove

staflove PetForums VIP

Well im in resuce and there are some many things we have to look at, firstley what the poor dog as gone through to make sure the right owner keeps the dog forever and its not been past from pillow to post, yes checking the garden is fenced and safe, how many hours the dog is going to be left, working in resuce is hard and heart breaking you owt to try it some time and it all comes out of your own money, and your own time so any body who is helping rescues then good on ya as its not easy.

Seeing poor dogs come in been used as breeding machine and belly to the floor, dogs locked in cuborads and are frightened to death of people. so all these things you call them are needed i dont care about the people i care that one of my dogs gets the right home it deserves :)

4. rona

rona Guest

Try going to a breed rescue, they seem more willing to consider outside the box

5. jen24

jen24 Banned

I dont want to butt in and take the thread off topic but as you work in rescue i was just wondering why every rescue dog ive looked at arent allowed with children under 7 or 14. is it a rule for rescues or is it because of the dog? its just because all of them ive seen say no children under 7 or 14, surely not all of them are unsafe or nervous ect of children? maybe they are, i dont know, i was just wondering.

sorry, just wanted to ask instead of starting a new thread to ask one question.:eek:

6. ToddyxxMillie

I couldnt work in a rescue it would be heartbreaking i go every month to a rescue to drop bits off mine dont want! But surely iam worth a homecheck i wouldnt adopt a large dog as it wouldnt be right but there alot of other dogs i could offer a perfect home to. But they just dont bother which i think is pretty unfair. Im not saying rescues dont do a good job as i know you need to make sure that they go to good stable homes. But i think some can be very fussy considering alot are being pts!

7. dobermum

dobermum PetForums Senior

Hi there ToddyxxMillie:)

I think this is a great topic! I have rescued many of my Dobermans over the years - a few who have been horrifically tortured. I would NEVER use a rescue agency (no offence intended) simply because of the treatment I received when making enquiries to one who specifically dealt with Dobermans. As with everyone on the forum I'm sure, we give unconditional time attention love and the utmost TLC to our dogs, and to me, that should be the main concern and that they are not mistreated/harmed in any way. Myself and family have given up holidays simply because we would not dream of leaving them with anyone, and in actual fact, we holiday at the family caravan which is in the middle of nowhere, tho surrounded by fields, ocean, on private/family/pet orientated grounds and my furkids absolutely love it! There is no issue with space, despite Dobes being fairly large dogs, and they have massive decking to lie run around on, and a fairly large fenced off garden where they love to play and eat my plants :rolleyes: lol. I do think rescue centres could be a bit less harsh. I understand where their main concern is the pet's welfare etc., but I do feel quite angry just like you, 'spesh when you are desperate to rehome and consider yourself a decent human being.

Best of luck!

D

8. GillyR

GillyR PetForums VIP

That is a shame....especially as you sound like you could have given the dog a chance. Why did they not even just give you a trial period? at least it would have given the dog a chance.

9. ToddyxxMillie

Simply because i live in a caravan basically and i dont have a secure garden! well i have a large decking with balastrades and gates etc and 1 minute from a large field! I just thinks its unfair and makes me really upset thinking off all those dogs that are in rescue. Which means i will have to think about getting a Puppy as i really wanted another dog. I dont want to as i want to help a dog that hasnt had a good life so far!

10. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Its a very rare rescue (exept the obvious one) that PTS a dog unless it has behavioural or health issues. Some pounds PTS if not claimed, rehomed or taken into rescue but majority of rescues have non destruction policies.

Do you seriously expect a rescue to allow you to have a dog from god only know's what background to live in a home where there are no boundries? Did you read the thread recently about the rescue dog who escaped from her new home? She's still not been found.

Might be an idea to ask the rescue to come on here and comment instead slagging it off? Don't they have a right to reply to your accusations? Sounds to me like the dog had some serious issues if they choose to PTS over rehoming, do you really think you had experience to deal with a dog like that? If so get yourself down to the local pound, they'll rehome without a home check and take your chances on an unassessed dog.

11. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

I can understand why your angry but its a bit unfair to tar all rescues with the same brush, they are all run independently so will have their own policies and ideas about what's suitable for the dogs in their care and some are better run than others. Its sad the JRT was PTS when you'd offered it a home but perhaps if it was that nervous it may of been difficult to keep safe with your set up.

Some of my local greyhound groups have homed to people with young kids or live in flats without there own garden so its not impossible. Even within my breeds rescues what they deem suitable varies greatly and some are branches of the same organisation so you'd expect they'd have similar policies. It can be frustrating if you don't meet the criteria but you just have to try others if you feel that the reasons given really are unfair. There's probably other places you can try or look for a private rehome if you don't want to buy a puppy.

Have you tried a homes offered ad on Dog Rescue Pages - UK dog rescue homes, centres and shelters guide

12. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I can understand that you may be frustrated but I do think alot of rescue centres have to have stringent rules in places becuase they simply do not have the time/money to asses each case individually.
    Having volunteered in rescue centres a few years ago I can assues you that the animals welfare is ALWAYS the priority. No one would seriously want them to stay any longer than was necessary.
    Thre are so many animals being re-homed that they need to be as sure as they can that they are finding the best possible home they can.

13. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I can see why you are upset if the poor dog was going to be PTS anyway.:( It is frustrating. I have gone through every type of rescue dog that would fit in my house and am down to the elderly or infirm!!:) Cant wait to get a homecheck for one of those and find out why Im unsuitable!!:rolleyes:
    At the end of the day you might just have to buy a puppy, rescues are well within their rights to have high standards for anyone adopting one of their dogs....they also have to accept this means alot of wonderful potential dog owners will have to go and buy a dog.:(

14. GSDlover4ever

GSDlover4ever PetForums VIP

Please remember that all rescues are different. Some rescues will actually rehome to young children if they know the dog has been brought up with them, others will re-home to people in flat or moter homes.....

Don't give up and asume that they are all the same!

I personally would look at the smaller rescues as i know the larger resuces won't home to my situation.

15. the melster

the melster PetForums Senior

I tried all my local rescues and none of them would allow me to rehome a puppy/dog because we live in an apartment with no private garden .. it never went any further than that as they weren't interested. My dog has a 1/2 hour road walk in the morning, 3/4 off lead run at dinner and an hour - hour 1/2 run in the evening. She is never left alone, she spends all morning with me training and playing and is then taken to DH's work for the afternoon. She has the best food ( sometimes better than us !!) and is loved and treasured. I know people who have dogs with a 'secure back garden' who never take their dogs for a walk and are vastly ignored and treated as a nuisance.

To be honest after being told I was 'unsuitable' by all the rescues in my area I won't be going back although I would love to give a dog a chance at a great life with us.

16. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

certainly not a rule for all rescues.

Ive fostered cats for rescues since before i had my children (my oldest isnt quite 6 yet!), and i have adopted my dog miso from another rescue. Oh and i only have 4ft fencing on 3 sides, am a single mum, etc etc etc..

Try going to some of the smaller rescues and some of the breed rescues, they usually arent quite so blinkered or dead set in their rules. They have the opportunity (being smaller) to take each application on its merit. I often find that its best to let them help with pairing you up with a dog too. By all means apply for a specific dog but listen to their suggestions for alternatives if they dont think that one dog is suitable. If they approve you for a home, they will be wanting to find the right dog for you, even if that means you have to wait a while before he/she comes along. xxx

17. EmCHammer

EmCHammer PetForums VIP

It makes me angry on the other side when yet again people moan about rescues and their rehoming policies.

Most of the rehoming policies are in place due to people who have been in the exact same situation as you have had but more often than not have then returned the dog/dog escaped/ child and dog too much for eachother so sometimes its easier to have 'rules' in place for some of the bigger rescues who have less time to maybe check into each case on its own merits.

Many rescues will not rehome to families with young children for safety and potentially past experiences. Alot of the dogs are from possibly pound backgrounds or even sign overs cannot always trust what people say to get their dogs into rescue so best to err on the side of caution. Rescues may have limited information on the dog and don't know that you and your child are responsible - many say they are but are not. For people with children I always advise to look for dogs that have been in foster with kids as you are getting much more of an assessed/ known entity.

I would think there could be more if the dog was PTS, I can't get back to the original post now started typing but missed that at first - it could be that the dog had some underlying medical or behavioural issue - rescue isn't about just rehoming any dog to any home its about finding the right match... often when we have small cute dogs in we are innundated with calls even tho the dog could be old, in ill health, not yet assessed etc - some people (not talking about OP, just general) and decide they want THAT dog regardless of whether they a good match for eachother. Sometimes rescues can have several offers of homes for a dog and are able to pick the one best suited - doesn't mean those that are turned down are bad homes either.

We don't do much rehoming at the rescue I volunteer for we work with death row poundies but if someone does have to be turned down for any that we do have for rehoming I try to explain why - rather than just saying not suitable as I don't want to put people off rescue or make them feel inadequate - I try to give them other options to think about or things to change, i.e. working full time - well have you considered a dog walker etc; or if they haven't got a garden I would be looking for them to clarify their routines and that they know there is a potential escape issue and that they know what they are doing.

I woudl def have a look at dog pages and chat to some smaller rescues - there are many rescues who do realise that the perfect home just isn't out there and theres often something they like to check otu due to past bad experiences in that area - but they will be looking ot see evidence that you won't go down the same path!

GSDlover4ever likes this.
  18. staflove

staflove PetForums VIP

If you dont know a dogs back ground then we say they have to be at the age of 5 in some cases 14 we have to be safe, if we have a dog who is fab with children then we will let it go. :)

19. jen24

jen24 Banned

ok thank you, i thought there would be a reason, i just wasnt sure what it was lol :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice